Exp:

Canucks are a bottom 5 team without Markstrom standing on his head
Old 04-07-2020, 11:11 AM   #22
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Maybe in the future. But right now Pettersson is a one dimensional forward with who has never scored 70 points in a season.

What part about him is one dimensional? He can shoot, pass and handle the puck. He's a guy who an entire power play can be built around.

On top of that he is not terrible defensively now and actively works on it. One of the things many people note about the kid is how tenacious he is on the back check and how willing he is to commit defensively. But then, the last thing on top of everything else: the kid who is all of 180 pounds throws ####ing hits and plays below the goal line and on the boards. Are his hits bone crushing? No, though he did light a couple guys up this year. Is he getting smash mouth on the boards? No, but like the Sedins before him he has no fear about getting there.

Like, take your arbitrary 70 point number if you have too. I think we both know its a bit of a prayer. At this stage, he'd be the best center on the Flames.

I get it for you guys. The Oilers luck into McDavid and Draisatl who no one will shut up about and then the Canucks luck into Pettersson and Hughes who no one will shut up about. And you guys are left talking about which of your two first line players are better off trading for assets to start a new rebuild. It'd be frustrating, and I'm glad it's not me.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:14 AM   #23
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lol let's see your awesome team make the playoffs before spouting off... Vancouver is at the cap with those two guys on elc's
Old 04-07-2020, 11:17 AM   #24
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Lol let's see your awesome team make the playoffs before spouting off... Vancouver is at the cap with those two guys on elc's
Really? The team committed to surrounding their young players with veteran talent as they learned, but all those vets deals end as the ELCs end? It's like.... the team planned or something =-o.

But yes, you are right. The Canucks have still technically done nothing, which is why I am not bragging about their accomplishments but rather the talented young players on it.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #25
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

That is the worst part of the cancelled season, we didn't get to see the Canucks entire collapse without Markstrom as most of us predicted. Three wins in their last 10 games and Canuck fanboys nowhere to be seen on CP
Old 04-07-2020, 11:31 AM   #26
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
What part about him is one dimensional? He can shoot, pass and handle the puck. He's a guy who an entire power play can be built around.

On top of that he is not terrible defensively now and actively works on it. One of the things many people note about the kid is how tenacious he is on the back check and how willing he is to commit defensively. But then, the last thing on top of everything else: the kid who is all of 180 pounds throws ####ing hits and plays below the goal line and on the boards. Are his hits bone crushing? No, though he did light a couple guys up this year. Is he getting smash mouth on the boards? No, but like the Sedins before him he has no fear about getting there.

Like, take your arbitrary 70 point number if you have too. I think we both know its a bit of a prayer. At this stage, he'd be the best center on the Flames.

I get it for you guys. The Oilers luck into McDavid and Draisatl who no one will shut up about and then the Canucks luck into Pettersson and Hughes who no one will shut up about. And you guys are left talking about which of your two first line players are better off trading for assets to start a new rebuild. It'd be frustrating, and I'm glad it's not me.
Do you actually think the Canucks are in a better position going forward than the Flames? Or that the Canucks build is complete?

Man and I thought Oiler fans were delusional.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:47 AM   #27
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Do you actually think the Canucks are in a better position going forward than the Flames? Or that the Canucks build is complete?

Better position than the Flames going forward? Yes.
The Canucks roster was done? No.

Quote:
That is the worst part of the cancelled season, we didn't get to see the Canucks entire collapse without Markstrom as most of us predicted. Three wins in their last 10 games and Canuck fanboys nowhere to be seen on CP

And for all that collapsing, they were a win away from putting the Flames on the outside looking in. It's unfortunate that we'll never know, it's true. I've already talked about why I was gone over that time, that you think after 16 years my coming and going has anything to do with how the Canucks do, you're a bit silly. Which, I guess you are a bit silly, so that isn't that shocking!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver

Last edited by Blaster86; 04-07-2020 at 11:50 AM.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:50 AM   #28
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing says not done a rebuild like trading your first and 2nd round picks
Old 04-07-2020, 11:52 AM   #29
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Nothing says not done a rebuild like trading your first and 2nd round picks

For a player on the right side of 30, with good term and went on to put up over a PPG. I'd call that an okay deal for the now the future.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-07-2020, 11:58 AM   #30
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Be interesting to see, if the Canucks can lock up Markstrom and if he has a repeat of his best season ever, where the Canucks sit next season.

The only defenceman they have under 30 that's worth a damn is Hughes. For forwards, under 25 they have Petterson.

Rebuild complete.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #31
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Be interesting to see, if the Canucks can lock up Markstrom and if he has a repeat of his best season ever, where the Canucks sit next season.

He's done this two seasons in a row.

Quote:
The only defenceman they have under 30 that's worth a damn is Hughes. For forwards, under 25 they have Petterson.

Why you gotta be so mean to Virtanen, Gaudette, Boeser, Horvat and Motte like that.

D is an issue, but we'll see if this Rafferty kid is as good as he was looking down in the AHL.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #32
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
He's done this two seasons in a row.

Why you gotta be so mean to Virtanen, Gaudette, Boeser, Horvat and Motte like that.

D is an issue, but we'll see if this Rafferty kid is as good as he was looking down in the AHL.
2 seasons in a row or not, he's still an UFA.

Because I said under 25 and Horvat, Motte(who isn't much to write home about) are 25....

I guess I missed Boeser, who is good. Gaudette and Virtanen? Unlucky for you I guess that I watch hockey.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #33
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
2 seasons in a row or not, he's still an UFA.

Because I said under 25 and Horvat, Motte(who isn't much to write home about) are 25....

I guess I missed Boeser, who is good. Gaudette and Virtanen? Unlucky for you I guess that I watch hockey.

That's bull####, Horvat just turned 25. I demand he count.

If you watched hockey then you'd know Gaudette looks great in the role he's been placed in and I can definitely see him scoring 20 a season as a good two way center. You'd also know that Jake Virtanen looked really good consistently this season and was on pace for a 20 goal season. But you watch hockey, so I'm sure you know that.!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-07-2020, 03:08 PM   #34
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

You are sure talking a big game now like an Oiler fan in the summertime. Canucks have 3 wins in their last 10 games and looked to be more likely to miss the playoffs altogether than go on any sort of run.

Last edited by dino7c; 04-07-2020 at 04:03 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 04:19 PM   #35
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Really? The team committed to surrounding their young players with veteran talent as they learned, but all those vets deals end as the ELCs end? It's like.... the team planned or something =-o.

But yes, you are right. The Canucks have still technically done nothing, which is why I am not bragging about their accomplishments but rather the talented young players on it.
They have talent, but I think they may suffer from the same thing the Flames did into the maturing years of the rebuild, and that is having a group of good but not exceptional players leading them. And having a group that leans more to finesse without the hard nosed aspects and leadership that steps it up at the most important times.

Markstrom may be able to be the proverbial Kipper that elevates a team with holes and that is something that could play in their favor. Great goalies can get teams far.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #36
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
They have talent, but I think they may suffer from the same thing the Flames did into the maturing years of the rebuild, and that is having a group of good but not exceptional players leading them. And having a group that leans more to finesse without the hard nosed aspects and leadership that steps it up at the most important times.

So here's the issue with that: Both Petersson and Hughes look exceptional. I'd say this group is not about finesse at all. Maybe Pettersson and Hughes are. But look at every line and pairing on this team. There's a lot of jam there.

I think the biggest questions for this team going into the off season are three fold. First. Will teams be allowed a buy-out coming out of this break, as some have mentioned? Can they re-sign Toffoli and Markstrom? Can the young d-men in our pipeline make the jump to the NHL? If the answer to the first one is yes, then the answer to two is also yes. Then it all comes down to three.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 04-07-2020, 07:23 PM   #37
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I know the cool kids around here are all extremely dire and pessimistic about the Flames's outlook, but it is equally okay to acknowledge that the team is not the melodramatically fashionable dumpster-fire that you prattle on about.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Not a dumpster fire, never said that. Just completely mediocre and irrelevant. A Dumpster fire actually would be preferable because we could get a good pick and our brutal management team could get cleansed.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote