Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Best prospect from the following list?
Andersson, Rasmus 45 10.51%
Dube, Dillon 7 1.64%
Ehliz, Yasin 0 0%
Fischer, Zach 0 0%
Foo, Spencer 5 1.17%
Gawdin, Glenn 0 0%
Gillies, Jon 1 0.23%
Healey, Josh 0 0%
Joly, D'Artagnan 0 0%
Karmaukhov, Pavel 0 0%
Klimchuk, Morgan 2 0.47%
Koumontzis, Demetrios 0 0%
Kylington, Oliver 4 0.93%
Lindstrom, Linus 0 0%
Lomberg, Ryan 0 0%
Mangiapane, Andrew 3 0.70%
Mattson, Mitchell 0 0%
McDonald, Mason 0 0%
Parsons, Tyler 2 0.47%
Pettersen, Mathias Emilio 0 0%
Phillips, Matthew 1 0.23%
Pollock, Brett 0 0%
Pospisil, Martin 0 0%
Rafikov, Rushan 0 0%
Roman, Milos 0 0%
Ruzicka, Adam 0 0%
Schneider, Nick 0 0%
Shinkaruk, Hunter 0 0%
Sveningsson, Fililp 0 0%
Tuulola, Eetu 1 0.23%
Valimaki, Juuso 357 83.41%
Zavgorodny, Dmitri 0 0%
Voters: 428. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #81
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Eh, we'll see. Just a hunch. If I was writing up an actual ranking I'd put Valimaki first but this is more for fun so I'm gonna go more with gut instinct. I could be very wrong but everything I've seen from Klimchuk in the A suggests that he's what Dube could be in two or three years -- and some people think Dube will step right in this year.
That's a little rude towards Bingo, imo. You're saying you would take it seriously if it was your project, but not here because this is just for fun.

I'm pretty sure Bingo puts a lot of work and effort into this and wants it to be as accurate as possible. There's off the board, but Klimchuk isn't a serious 1st pick from any knowledgeable fan and you are one.

waits for cecil to offer a contrarian point
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 04:05 PM   #82
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It'll be the minority opinion to be sure but IMO it's Andersson... he probably plays games for us this year and has performed at a very high level in a professional adult league.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:10 PM   #83
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are people ranking prospects based on who they think will play for the team first or who they think will be better for the team when they make it?

Most, I believe, are doing the latter. I don't agree with the other way of thinking.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #84
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, I always viewed these rankings based on how valuable each prospect is around the league. Hathaway can play NHL minutes right now, but he has likely reached his peak as a 4th line player. Valimaki might need a year or two of seasoning, but he could be a cornerstone defense man one day.
bax is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:22 PM   #85
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

The criteria is each ones own, so it could be highest ceiling or first to stick or whatever.

It's interesting reading back. A few posters were talking about Kulak last year, suggesting he could play the season in Calgary, and he basically did, but where does that mean you rate him (which was 11th overall, I think.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #86
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's a little rude towards Bingo, imo. You're saying you would take it seriously if it was your project, but not here because this is just for fun.

I'm pretty sure Bingo puts a lot of work and effort into this and wants it to be as accurate as possible. There's off the board, but Klimchuk isn't a serious 1st pick from any knowledgeable fan and you are one.

waits for cecil to offer a contrarian point
I didn't mean any offense to Bingo. I'm just putting a different spin on how I approach these rankings. Instead of pure upside or value, I'm voting based on how NHL-ready I perceive these prospects to be. Based on my viewings of Stockton, Klimchuk has stood out to me as the team's most complete two-way prospect who not only has first-round pedigree but also five years' experience since his draft year. Every time I watch him, I'm impressed, and I think it's a shame that he's been perceived as having been passed by so many players. Unlike a guy like Shinkaruk, I think that Klimchuk still has the upside to fulfill his first-round billing, and based upon the criteria that I've chosen to approach this poll with, I feel like he's the Flames' best prospect to watch this season. For reference, I think a guy like Mangiapane still has serious obstacles to overcome before being an NHL mainstay -- namely, I don't think he's great in his own zone and didn't impress in his call-up last year. Andersson is another really ready prospect but in general I tend to prefer forwards to defensemen which is why I leaned towards Klimchuk.

And so it's clear, thank you to Bingo for running this once again. I love having these debates every year because a poll like this offers a number of different ways of approaching rankings.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 04:41 PM   #87
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
The criteria is each ones own, so it could be highest ceiling or first to stick or whatever.

It's interesting reading back. A few posters were talking about Kulak last year, suggesting he could play the season in Calgary, and he basically did, but where does that mean you rate him (which was 11th overall, I think.
A part of the reason I enjoy this exercise so much is because It allows for insight about the mentality of the fan base coming into a new season. Last year in particular you could tell that fans were anxious about goal tending since two goalies were ranked in the top 10, with a third goalie placing 12th. At that time a good goalie was very valuable to this franchise.

Personally, I prefer a "high floor" over a "high ceiling" this is because I don't value what ifs as much as player than can impact the Flames today. Which is why I had Kulak ranked higher than most last year.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:01 PM   #88
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Can we at least spell Juuso's name with the right letters, if not the full vowel accents?

Let’s work on spelling Hanifin and Tkachuk properly before tackling that one. And I don’t even know how to key in an umlaut, so highly unlikely that ever happens... not to mention they don’t exist in english.
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #89
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
Can we at least spell Juuso's name with the right letters, if not the full vowel accents?
Jusso we're clear we should be spelling it Juuso?
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:11 PM   #90
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Valmaki, andersson Parsons Dube and Gillies are my top 5. I still think Gillies can be a future stud.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:33 PM   #91
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Are people ranking prospects based on who they think will play for the team first or who they think will be better for the team when they make it?

Most, I believe, are doing the latter. I don't agree with the other way of thinking.
I do a bit of both but mostly by ceiling. Sure, Say Klimchuk (who I love) makes the team out of camp, he likely tops out as a third liner. Making the team right away doesn't make him a better prospect than say Valimaki who is likely a top 4 D.

But I feel everyone gets to apply their own thinking to this, there's no right or wrong way to do it
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 09:22 PM   #92
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I tend to rank the players based on what I would give up to acquire them via trade. That is, how much I would offer if I were another team trying to acquire the prospect.

Trade value, prospect value, same thing really.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2018, 10:22 PM   #93
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I'm basing mine on a combination of upside and floor. I think Andersson has both top 4 upside and that he's likely to be an NHL'er (NHL floor) based on his results in a professional adult hockey league, Valimaki likewise has top 4 upside (and may have more raw talent) but he's probably a few years away and hasn't been tested in a mens league. Valimaki carries more risk at present so I put him at #2.

#3 is where it get's interesting between Dube & Kylington.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #94
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlh2640 View Post
Valmaki, andersson Parsons Dube and Gillies are my top 5. I still think Gillies can be a future stud.
Gillies hopefully starts to show something at the NHL level soon. Hellebuyck, Vasilevsky, Saros, are probably the best 3 young goalies in the league. All of which had become either a excellent back up or good starter by Gillies age. While all we have seen front gillies so far is his look pretty bad last season. Goalies can take longer to develop of course but definitely want to see a big step this season personally.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:02 AM   #95
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still think Rittich is a more complete goalie then Gillies. I think he has more confidence as well which goes a long way in net. Just my personal opinion.

Gillies is a bit of an enigma. Can make the highlight reel saves but just cant seem to put it al together and has mental lapses or looks shaky at times.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 01:08 AM   #96
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Parsons is number 1 for me.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:30 AM   #97
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Personally I rank the prospects as to who will be the higher end talent.

I don't rank them as to who is the most NHL ready etc...

Jusso Valmaki in my view has the chance to be a 1st or 2nd line defense pairing.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:43 AM   #98
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like JV takes the one spot.

Visual view
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 08:32 AM   #99
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I'm always a combination of talent and likelihood to make it with a weight on talent. That's why Kylington will likely be top 5-6 but not 1-2 based on his talent alone.

And I totally respect everyone having their own way of voting, it adds some depth to this. I guess the only thing I wouldn't appreciate is voting against what you think just to mess up the poll itself.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote