Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2016, 12:02 AM   #1
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Geek help needed : New desktop build

My apologies if this should be in a dedicated thread that I just can't find.

My current computer is coming to the end of it's long life, and I need a replacement. I'm not looking for anything spectacular, just something that can do some basic video rendering and sporadic gaming. I also don't need anything cutting edge. Technology from a couple of years ago, along the i5-4460 era is just fine by me.

My issue is that I've been out of playing with hardware for a long time, and my current desktop may not survive my getting back up to speed. So if anyone could recommend a cheap build in the 500-700 range, I would be very grateful.

Newegg, ncix, even tigerdirect (although I'd kind of prefer one source) are just fine, and I've perused ca.pcpartpicker, but that just convinced me that my current knowledge will lead to all kinds of compatibility issues.

If anyone has any suggestions, and an hour to kill building a virtual system, that would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:49 AM   #2
calculoso
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if this computer is any good (some say yes, some say no on the discussion thread) but here is one for $500

Acer Desktop i5-6400 8GB Mem 1TB HDD $499.99
http://forums.redflagdeals.com/bestb...99-99-2036657/
calculoso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks calculoso. In the past I've been a little leery of Acer, but I'll check it out. I originally was going to buy a completed system, almost pulling the trigger on this one

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16883221158

but after reading a bit, the general tide was more towards building your own to get a better bang for your buck. Is there not as much difference between the quality of a pre-built and component-built as there used to be?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:47 AM   #4
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
just something that can do some basic video rendering and sporadic gaming.
I think you need to qualify these two points. I'm not into gaming, but I know for a lot of the high end games you need a good video card. It doesn't matter if you only play the high end game every 2 months; if it doesn't work it doesn't work. Also for the video rendering, what exactly are you trying to accomplish?

I would buy an Asus over an Acer for $50; but you may want to look at a better video card.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 12:28 PM   #5
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Typically, the worst part about buying pre-builts like the one posted above, is not even that they are underpowered (they are), it's that the "non-essential" parts are typically garbage tier (case, PSU, RAM, mobo). They slap on a high RAM total, a known CPU (usually clocked down or undervolted) and a low-mid videocard and it looks like a steal, except you can never upgrade it because everything is crap.

You might end up paying 100-150 more for an "equivalent" self-built PC, but in the long run you will appreciate that you have the ability to upgrade without buying extra parts (eg, not needing to spend $100 on a new PSU just to upgrade your video card).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 02:08 PM   #6
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

As for video rendering, I just want to be able to use an old copy of Avid without taking a thousand years to render anything, so basically that I need a mid range processor and decent amount of RAM.

For gaming ability, a non-integrated video card. I don't own my own rumble chair or anything.

My main issue is that I'm doing everything from my phone right now, so checking what is a decent motherboard, and matching it with components is pretty aggravating. If anyone already has basic knowledge to share about where I should be looking for good value, that would be great.

I don't want to put anyone to work, but if they already know "this Gigabyte board is awesome, and will run this processor, and they are both a fraction of the cost that they were two years ago" that's the kind of information that I'm hunting.
Old 09-03-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

http://pcbuildsonabudget.com/best-ga...0-dollars-2016

Myself I would drop the DVD drive (haven't had a disc drive for a few years now)

And get an SSD.

Don't even consider not getting one.

For a little more pep you can get another stick of RAM.

Should be more than you need!

Last edited by indes; 09-03-2016 at 10:53 PM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2016, 09:36 PM   #8
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/guide/P2Y...l-gaming-build

This was the suggested budget build on pcpartpicker, and I think it'd be a good starting point, but it is pushing the limit of your budget.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 10:00 PM   #9
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I appreciate the help, guys. Thank you. I'm going to use the advice on these links to put something together, and am definitely going to throw in an SSD. I also think that I'm not going to skimp out on the power source, so I'm going to pretend that's a magical 200 dollars and expand my budget accordingly. I'll post a picture of the result here, once I build it.

Thanks again.