Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2016, 10:43 AM   #21
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Occasionally the Memory Express clearance centre has some great deals on refurbished plasma TVs. I bought a 60 inch Samsung for $899 last year.

Plasma is still ahead of LCD in terms of picture quality.
Dollar per dollar, yes, it is. I have a 60" final-gen plasma (LG 60PN6500) at home, and while it's color, black level and motion/ghosting are extremely good, the 4K HDR (LG 60UH8500) I bought recently easily beats it in terms of sharpness, clarity, and motion. The black level on the plasma is better without question however, but the colors are comparable. Full-array IPS panel LCDs are effectively the same as most final-gen plasmas with the new local dimming technologies. It also uses less than 1/3rd the power my plasma does, and throws much less heat.

An OLED beats plasma out hands down, but they are of course not cheap at all.

It's worth noting that HDR/Dolby Vision adds a depth to video that hasn't been seen before, in Plasma, LCD/LED, or even earlier OLED. It's pretty awesome to see and is pretty friggin cool looking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 07-28-2016 at 10:50 AM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #22
I wanna be like Miikka
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Does anyone know where to buy a Vizio P Series 65 inch TV. I can order the 55inch on the Costco website but cannot seem to find the 65 inch anywhere.
I wanna be like Miikka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 02:38 PM   #23
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Alright, finally made the decision today. Thanks again to everyone for your input, it really helped! Turns out the Vizio from Costco doesn't support some of the apps/functions I was hoping for, so ended up at Visions. A 65 was going to work best for my space, so the sales guy recommended this one:
http://m.visions.ca/#/home-productde...sku=LC65N7000U

I got him down to $1800 taxes including the five year warranty that is worth $300 if I don't use it. Just got it set up and it looks great!
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016, 05:29 PM   #24
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

General TV rule - Stick to the 3 S's

Samsung, Sharp, Sony

Vizio is a step below those three but the terrific value more than offsets it imo, great purchase
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2016, 08:46 PM   #25
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Hm, Sharp 55" LC55N6000U for $1200 or LC55N7000U for $1500?
Old 07-31-2016, 09:01 PM   #26
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So a couple days into using the TV here are some thoughts:
1) picture is amazing. Watching the baseball games this weekend have been great and can't wait until hockey season!
2) wife got motion sickness...beware of fast forwarding PVR shows on a big tv!
3) also, beware that big tvs have big tv stands. I had a bit of a panic attack when I got home and saw how the stand would work with our TV stand. Thankfully, everything fits perfectly.
4) we sit about 10 feet from the TV in our space and I did notice a difference between the 60 and 65, so I'm glad we went with the bigger size.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:00 PM   #27
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

My TV just went kaput so I guess it's time to get a new one. For the space it is in I'd be looking at something in the 50" to 55" range - at that size is the difference between 1080p and 4k worth the extra money? Otherwise I presume most of the above discussion is relevant for that size range as well.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 10:31 PM   #28
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
My TV just went kaput so I guess it's time to get a new one. For the space it is in I'd be looking at something in the 50" to 55" range - at that size is the difference between 1080p and 4k worth the extra money? Otherwise I presume most of the above discussion is relevant for that size range as well.
The formula is based on size by viewing distance by resolution.

So for a 55" 4K TV maximum optimal viewing distance is about 7 feet. In my experience though, I'd say it's less of a hard line and more of a gradient.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #29
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm about to purchase a TV that will go on a wall where there is a large window directly opposite. Obviously this isn't ideal, but it is what it is. I have a blind on the window that will limit the light somewhat, but won't eliminate it.

Is there one type of TV that is better than any other at cutting down reflections/glare from direct light sources?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016, 03:18 PM   #30
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I'm about to purchase a TV that will go on a wall where there is a large window directly opposite. Obviously this isn't ideal, but it is what it is. I have a blind on the window that will limit the light somewhat, but won't eliminate it.

Is there one type of TV that is better than any other at cutting down reflections/glare from direct light sources?
http://ca.rtings.com/tv/tests/pictur...tte-and-glossy
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #31
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Best option is to (I know, I know) goto a brick and mortar store with a flashlight or something and see how much glare certain TVs give off. Most companies use a semi-reflective coating (which increases color saturation) with an internal reflection-dulling technology, but it varies from model/company. Avoid TVs with the thin glass fronts, and opt for something closer to matte (you won't find a true matte).

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2016, 09:12 AM   #32
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also in the market for a new TV, 70" is the smallest I'll go. Seeing as I haven't bought a TV in about 12 years, and my 42" Samsung Plasma is still kicking, I'm out of the loop. Is it worthwhile to wait for black friday pricing? Or am I going to have the choice of last years models and screens for not so great prices? I'm wanting to future proof a bit, so I was initially in the Vizio D70 D3 boat for the price, but lacks HDR, lacks 4K, all that stuff the M70 has but for double the price (and at that point the 75" Sharp Aquos seems better, but is edge lit not local dimmed)
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:20 AM   #33
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I bought the curved Samsung KS8500 55" TV for this exact situation and I've been thrilled with the result. If you have a room that is going to need to deal with sunlight, you want a set that can get really bright, and the Samsung 8xxx and higher can.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 09:45 AM   #34
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Probably way more than you wanna pay, but you asked.
I've had these at my outdoor promotions job.

https://www.sunbritetv.com/bestoutdoortv/
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote