Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #1
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Nikon D3300??

Memory Express has the Nikon D3300 on for $519.99. I have never owned a digital SLR before. When I used to shoot film I used the Canon AE1, so I'm old school. What attracted me to this was the 24.2 mega pixels. I think they also had a Canon on for $499 or so, but it was an 18.1 mega pixel unit.

Here is the D3300:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50302

Anything I need to know? I don't want to spend any more than $520.

Thanks!

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 02:33 PM   #2
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Others may know better, but I believe sensor size is more important than megapixels these days.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/bes...t-dslr-camera/

This article might be of interest to you. I believe there are also some direct comparisons and explanation of pros and cons of each.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 04-15-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Are you planning to build a lens collection over time? If not, another option might be to look at the larger sensor compacts like a Sony RX100.
accord1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:13 AM   #4
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Do you have a bunch of old Canon lenses around that you can use? I would question why you're valuing megapixels (they're really only good for big prints or high res monitor), but from that review it seems like the Nikon is better anyways (unless you prioritize video).
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

that wirecutter site is very interesting; lots to read on it.

I bought the Nikon 5200 two years ago and I like it. I have used auto mode and manual, especially for sports pictures, and it works great.

it came as a package with body, lenses, tripod. if I was to do it again, i would trade the smaller zoom and the bigger zoom lenses for one lens that did both. I feel sometimes that I have the wrong lens on, and wish that I had the other. I have compensated for this through the ability to zoom and crop using software, but it is me being picky. ymmv.

I also highly recommend a good case to protect your camera/lenses.
Old 04-16-2016, 10:29 AM   #6
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

That looks like a pretty good kit for that price. The 18-55 range is going to do a fair amount of work for you, as long as you're not trying to shoot wildlife.

Btw, the Camera Store in the Beltline is usually a great place to shop in Calgary for camera stuff (they have the d3300 too). I prefer to support those places (also Vistek or Saneal Camera) over the more generic shops like Memory Express...they'll be able to give you more pointed advice and have more accessories too.

Although going there may result in up-selling yourself to something better. Before you know it, you'll be upgrading to an FX sensor, prime lenses, etc...

Last edited by Table 5; 04-16-2016 at 10:34 AM.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 10:39 AM   #7
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by McG View Post
if I was to do it again, i would trade the smaller zoom and the bigger zoom lenses for one lens that did both.
I ended up buying an 18-200mm that's my go-to lens now. Love that range.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 04-16-2016, 11:12 AM   #8
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the 28-300mm that's more or less the same idea (just in FX format). Personally I find it to be a great lens for those days where you just want to carry one lens and need a wide variety of shot types, as that range pretty much covers virtually everything one would need.

The trade off is of course quality. They are jack-of-all-master-of-none type of lenses. But on days where you're feeling a little lazy or need to conserve space, they are perfect.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
McG
Old 04-19-2016, 05:38 PM   #9
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Solid entry level. That's not a fantastic price though. That's more or less the regular price at London Drugs.

You'll find that lens is also pretty limited. It takes pretty basic photos. It's to the point, you may just want to buy the body and go for one of the 18-200mm or 28-300mm lenses recommended by others.

If you want more actiony type shots, I'd recommend looking into the 5300. It has a fast focusing system. Otherwise your next step up is the $1,200 plus cameras.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 02:25 PM   #10
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Nikon D3300 is a very capable camera with a great sensor, you'll be happy with it. The lens it comes with isn't the greatest, but that's usually the case with kit lenses, and it's always something you can upgrade later.

A lot of people are recommending the 18-200mm, but for a second lens, I always recommend a fast prime like this one: http://www.thecamerastore.com/2764-N...5mm-f1-8G.aspx

It's a prime so there's no zooming, but the wider aperture will get you that blurred background look that everyone loves. Having a wide aperture also lets you play around with your settings a bit more, so it's a great way to learn photography.

Here's a picture taken (not mine) with the lens on a similar sensor:

Bengali New Year Festival 1423 by Manzur Ahmed, on Flickr

Last edited by BananaPancakes; 04-20-2016 at 02:34 PM.
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 06:17 AM   #11
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Memory Express has the Nikon D3300 on for $519.99. I have never owned a digital SLR before. When I used to shoot film I used the Canon AE1, so I'm old school. What attracted me to this was the 24.2 mega pixels. I think they also had a Canon on for $499 or so, but it was an 18.1 mega pixel unit.

Here is the D3300:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX50302

Anything I need to know? I don't want to spend any more than $520.

Thanks!
Did you end up getting this camera?

If so, how do you like it?

I was real close to getting it but started thinking about the D5500. Quite a bit more money, but a couple more features including touchscreen and flip out screen.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55967

Can anyone justify getting the 5500 over the 3300 for a DSLR beginner, or would 3300 along with some better lenses down the road be a smarter buy?

FWIW the D3400 comes out this week, but is essentially the same camera with wifi, so I'm thinking that an even better deal could be had on it now (3300).
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote