Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2015, 05:43 PM   #1
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:
Default World of Warships

In Beta right now. Pretty slick though still some big bugs. I'm having audio issues..

None the less, great game with a ton of action and strategy while on the high seas!
IgiTang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:02 PM   #2
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is it anywhere as grindtastic as world of tanks? I enjoyed the first little bit but really couldn't stand playing like 50-100 games to get some of those high tiered tanks later. Complete waste of time after awhile and quit after a bit.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 10:25 AM   #3
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Ya, it's still a grind similar to World of Tanks. But the matchmaking is better and the variety of ships means a lower tier can still be fun to play, even if you get matched against the higher tier ships.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 AM   #4
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw it in passing at PAX last week but didn't line up for it. Looks interesting but I was more intrigued Dreadnought myself.

Don't mean to de-rail though.

Spoiler!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 10:48 AM   #5
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just started playing a month ago. Just about have my first carrier which I would imagine is a lot like artillery in WoT. REALLY looking forward to trying out a carrier.

Not a bad game, not sure it's going to have the staying power of WoT, think I'm well over 6000 battles in that game.

For a beta, it's pretty good. I haven't noticed any odd quirks or bugs. Audio has been fine with me. Game needs some polish for sure and I hope the introduce subs at some point.

BlackArcher is quite right, lower tiers can do well against higher tears but I think that's usually more applicable to destroyers as a single well placed torpedo attack can do in most ships.

My St. Louis has sunk a fair number of Battlehships much to my surprise but I think the key here is RoF the St. Louis has and naturally helpful if that Battle Ship I'm firing at is distracted by another BB.

I'm never too sure though, is the enemy team bots? They always have similar names which makes me think yes but they make some odd mistakes like running aground sometimes or terrible aim. And unlike WoT's, I seem to be on the winning team far more often than not. Out of every 10 battles, I may get sunk once or twice?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 09-03-2015 at 10:50 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 12:00 PM   #6
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I am about the same as GoinAllTheWay. About a month in and have up to tier 5 cruisers and everything else tier 4 and and carrier. The Carrier is definitely a different style of play much like artillery in WOT. It is relatively quick to get to level 5 just like WOT. In the two game modes, you can play a lot of bots in the one. The random battles are more just people.

The problem I have noticed the most is when I push the battle button it will sometimes kick me out right to the log in screen. I can usually log back in and the battle will be just starting but it is a bit of a pain.

I want them to get moving on the other countries boats so that there is a little more variety than just Japan and US. I don't feel like paying for gold etc. but it would be nice to have another 2 slots for ships so I can keep "testing" all the classes for the two countries.

edit - I have some buddies that are tier 7 and higher. They said the carriers are a lot of fun at that level.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 01:28 PM   #7
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Patch came out yesterday, a couple new game modes, some nerfs to a couple ships and 2 new maps.

Still having audio issues. i did some google searches and it appears there has been noted issues dating back to April from what i can see. People complaining about "tearing" sound when main guns are fired, yada yada... I have tried to update audio drivers, endsure im on HD sound, change my EQ settings.. nothing seems to work. if anyone has any more suggestions or encountering anything more, I am willing to try..

The disapointing thing is there has been little in the ways of support for this long standing, known issue.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #8
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
Patch came out yesterday, a couple new game modes, some nerfs to a couple ships and 2 new maps.
Seems like most of the nerfing was on the default hulls I think? I noticed they Wyoming took some hits but again, on the default hull. They also decreased the main turrets rotation speed but didn't notice much difference.

Sorry to hear of your audio issues (no pun intended). Wish I had a solution for you. I haven't had any issues like that at all to date.

Do you use a dedicated sound card? I'm just using the onboard sound on my MOBO.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #9
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I can't say I have had any sound issue either.. I am just coming off the MOBO as well.
Old 09-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #10
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I'm never too sure though, is the enemy team bots? They always have similar names which makes me think yes but they make some odd mistakes like running aground sometimes or terrible aim. And unlike WoT's, I seem to be on the winning team far more often than not. Out of every 10 battles, I may get sunk once or twice?
I think the default when you start playing is to play against a bot team. You have to change your game mode to random battle or something, I think the setting is at the top of the screen.

The biggest bug I've noticed is that I couldn't use SLI for a long time, just incredibly glitchy graphics. I haven't played it for a while because of that pretty much.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
I think the default when you start playing is to play against a bot team. You have to change your game mode to random battle or something, I think the setting is at the top of the screen.
You're quite right, didn't even notice that. I assumed it would be the same as WOT. Would imagine playing against human opponents would have a significant impact on my win/loss record

Finally got the Langley this weekend, that sure is a ton of fun. Odd spending the entire game from a top down perspective but it's really a fun way to play the game for sure. Must have played through 30 or so battle straight with it. Fun times for sure.
Old 09-08-2015, 12:28 PM   #12
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

There needs to be a full British and German line. I want to have Hood vs Bismark and one hit kill darnit.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #13
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bismark got off a lucky shot!

But ya, that would be cool. And subs too please.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:25 PM   #14
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
There needs to be a full British and German line. I want to have Hood vs Bismark and one hit kill darnit.
Both are coming!

If anyone wants to play in a division, add me "BlackArcher101"
Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 AM   #15
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

you can add me as well

"socktape"
Old 09-09-2015, 09:42 AM   #16
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

I've switched from the Samsung hd audio on my laptop ( which is having the audio issue) to the realtek onboard audio, no change. Basically playing the game on mute. I'm starting to think that it could be a system lag issue, a combo of CPU, internet and video lag causing the audio the lag during combat.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:05 PM   #17
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I want to play as the Yamato and fly off into space!
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 04:25 PM   #18
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I want to play as the Yamato and fly off into space!
And you can!

BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BloodFetish For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2015, 04:33 AM   #19
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got into this because of this thread. Fun game, I'm hooked for a while I think.

I do have some issues with the game play though, Enemy boats keep disappearing on me when I am firing on them. A little weird, perhaps I should lower the graphics level.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 10:08 AM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodFetish View Post
And you can!

Okay that's ridiculous, is that a mod or part of the game? For anybody who doesn't get this, look up Space Battleship Yamato or Star Blazers...

Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote