Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2014, 06:57 AM   #21
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
There have been no blackouts on Gamecentre this year. Even the national games are available.

Love Rogers!! They've really been awesome so far this year...have the full year gamcentre subscription for free as I am a business share plan rogers customer.
Is that going to be a common theme? I'd hate to pick it up after moving and be blacked out. Or was it a promotion of sorts?
Old 12-10-2014, 01:49 AM   #22
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought Gamecenter and its fine...works like a charm!
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2014, 05:07 AM   #23
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

After being a CI subscriber for years I jumped ship to gcl 2years ago and would never go back. Especially if u share the family room tv with the wife.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM   #24
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sounds like if you use Rogers Gamecenter and the in-market game is also owned by Rogers, then the blackout will be lifted. Since Rogers Sportsnet owns the rights to the regional Flames broadcast, then all Flames games will be shown without any blackout restrictions. I guess there is a benefit of having Sportsnet broadcasting the Flames games.

https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:25 PM   #25
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKPThunder View Post
Sounds like if you use Rogers Gamecenter and the in-market game is also owned by Rogers, then the blackout will be lifted. Since Rogers Sportsnet owns the rights to the regional Flames broadcast, then all Flames games will be shown without any blackout restrictions. I guess there is a benefit of having Sportsnet broadcasting the Flames games.

https://gamecentrelive.rogers.com/blackouts
So if you were a Jets fan in Manitoba and since TSN owns their regional rights, you could be blacked out of Jets games.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 03:50 PM   #26
CKPThunder
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
So if you were a Jets fan in Manitoba and since TSN owns their regional rights, you could be blacked out of Jets games.
Yes that is correct. It says that the games that are co-broadcasted (2 with Calgary and 2 against Edmonton) will not be blacked out. Sounds like Jets fans would have around 56 games blacked out.
CKPThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #27
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ft macs regional rights are oilers, no?
Old 12-13-2014, 12:36 PM   #28
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
Ft macs regional rights are oilers, no?
Yes, but there's zero blackouts for either Flames or Oilers on CI or GCL, so it's irrelevant. The only relevance I suppose is you'd get SN Oilers as part of your came package and not SN Flames. The only time that's relevant is when there's conflicting Flames/Oilers games
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 05:06 PM   #29
Trailer Fire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm planning on getting rid cable/satalite all together. I'm hoping my Roku will get me through.
Old 12-15-2014, 01:34 PM   #30
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trailer Fire View Post
I'm planning on getting rid cable/satalite all together. I'm hoping my Roku will get me through.
They are excellent on-demand (and even live streaming) IPTV options, if you don't have issues with the legality of such.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 10:57 PM   #31
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been a longtime CI subscriber, but I've found that less and less Flames games are being broadcast in HD (at least in California). I would say for the 2014-15 season, 10% of the games have been in HD so far so I'm pissed off at CI. I had CI while I lived in BC and almost all games were in HD. I've decided to trim some of the fat in the family budget this year though, and cut cable altogether. CI being piss poor has contributed to that decision. (Most of my HD channels are Spanish anyway)

Can anyone who has basically used both CI & GC speak to the picture quality of GC? I assume its not the traditional hi def, but its gotta be better than SD on cable right?

Call me spoiled or entitled or whatever, but I can't stand SD hockey, it just looks atrocious.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #32
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

GC is better than SD for sure. I find the motion flow isn't quite as good as CI HD but it's pretty good. The only problem is that you need a good high speed internet connection. For me it doesn't always work so good as my speed at peak times of day often drops from 25Mbps to 2.5Mbps.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:34 AM   #33
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

The beautiful part, or sometimes not I guess, of Game Centre is it scales to your Internet connection speed. If you have a fast Internet connection, the picture is superb.
But if you are always at home, CI is the answer - but last I had it a year ago almost all games were in HD.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #34
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I have been a longtime CI subscriber, but I've found that less and less Flames games are being broadcast in HD (at least in California). I would say for the 2014-15 season, 10% of the games have been in HD so far so I'm pissed off at CI. I had CI while I lived in BC and almost all games were in HD. I've decided to trim some of the fat in the family budget this year though, and cut cable altogether. CI being piss poor has contributed to that decision. (Most of my HD channels are Spanish anyway)

Can anyone who has basically used both CI & GC speak to the picture quality of GC? I assume its not the traditional hi def, but its gotta be better than SD on cable right?

Call me spoiled or entitled or whatever, but I can't stand SD hockey, it just looks atrocious.
If Directv is an option, all games are in HD, and about 80% of the games offer the Flames broadcast.

Like said above for game center, PQ is HD, the motion is often not very smooth and drives me crazy.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:33 AM   #35
HalifaxDrunk
#2 960 Prankster

Exp:

Edited - I was/am not aware they are considered illegal.

Last edited by HalifaxDrunk; 02-25-2015 at 08:05 AM.
HalifaxDrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 07:53 AM   #36
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalifaxDrunk View Post
It has been mentioned a couple times already in the thread but seems to instantly get lost.
Well, they are illegal, you are supporting criminals profiting off the NHL, it is against the board's policy to discuss them, and if you do pay, you risk having them shut down at any time.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 08:11 AM   #37
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

However, we can talk about getting US Netflix in Canada, which is not legal either.
I guess that line is grey, while there is no question services like mentioned above are indeed very black and white.
Old 02-25-2015, 09:12 AM   #38
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Game Centre is tolerable, I received it free this year so I'm not complaining but I doubt I will get it again. Hope Shaw gets the Center Ice package.

It's fine on a laptop or computer at work but on a bigger screen it's almost seizure inducing with its lag and stuttering. Streaming from the Xbox is better but the controls suck, like really suck. I don't understand how a bunch of teen hacks can get great quality streams out of HD movies and shows and even archived hockey games but professional organizations that rely on their brand can bungle it up so badly.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #39
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find the app on PS4 to be pretty okay, and the iPad app works really well.

I would say Gamecentre because I watch at least half my games on either my iPad or a laptop. When I want to watch on TV, I still can.

One of the added perks of gamecentre is the ability to choose your feed (home or away), and thus choose your broadcast team. Listening to Jack Edwards call a Bruins game is magical.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 01:48 PM   #40
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wish I wasn't so GD indecisive haha. I'm on the road quite a bit, so GC sounds like the better option, but at the same time when I'm at home I want to watch it on crisp HD on my TV. Given that CI (again, at least in California) broadcasts most Flames games in SD, I am an unhappy camper.

My wife tries to remind me I am overreacting though when I claim watching hockey in SD is akin to being a serf in Europe in the middle-ages, and I'm just waiting around for the black plague to strike. My reply is that HD hockey is a human right.

She just doesn't understand my suffering.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post: