Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2013, 05:35 PM   #21
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

PC > PS4 > WiiU > Xbox One

Before I get jumped all over, PS4 is pretty much strictly better than the Xbox One, which means I'd be more inclined to buy the WiiU than the Xbox One.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #22
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm always confused when people say "I'll just be going with my PS3/360 for a couple years. Lots of support for them!"

Really? There's lots of support until about October, then there's basically nothing. Every big holiday/2014 game announced so far is next-gen, or is getting a down-graded port.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:06 PM   #23
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

From the Amazon facebook page:

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:10 PM   #24
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

MS really should have thought their Xbox One 24 hour strategy over a bit more before implementing it.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #25
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I'm always confused when people say "I'll just be going with my PS3/360 for a couple years. Lots of support for them!"

Really? There's lots of support until about October, then there's basically nothing. Every big holiday/2014 game announced so far is next-gen, or is getting a down-graded port.
It works great for stragglers like me who had kids and lost all their available gaming time. You know that xkcd comic on the virtues of gaming a generation behind? That's my life. I currently own 6 full games and haven't touched a single one yet.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #26
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
It works great for stragglers like me who had kids and lost all their available gaming time. You know that xkcd comic on the virtues of gaming a generation behind? That's my life. I currently own 6 full games and haven't touched a single one yet.
That does make more sense, the statement needs a little bit of context.

I'll likely have kids sometime during this next generation of gaming. I need to enjoy these last moments of free time while I can.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #27
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #28
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 pre-orders outselling XBox One 3-2 right now.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...one-pre-orders
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:16 PM   #29
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Hmmm interesting. Sony is already leading in the US, Xbone has pretty much abandoned Asia and is locking each individual country in Europe (and has historically done poorly in Europe).
Old 06-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #30
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Starting the WiiS4 tomorrow with a Wii U. #### the Haters, bring on... my... ####...? Metroid on off TV play?

Point is I am getting in on this because of games that are coming out and assuming they will do an Ambassador program like they did with 3DS.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:24 AM   #31
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
PS4 pre-orders outselling XBox One 3-2 right now.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...one-pre-orders
Pretty amazing that it's not 3:1.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:34 AM   #32
Weirdness
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

The chances of me owning an XBone are the same as a proper Steel Battalion sequel getting made for it: not bloody likely. Though if it does happen, with a big-ass controller and foot pedals instead of shoehorned with kinect, I'll be all over it. Really doubt it would happen though.

Actually, I have trouble seeing who the XBone is supposed to be for. I think Microsoft spread themselves so thin in trying to make an all-in-one entertainment box to appeal to everyone that the end result is somewhat underwhelming and not really impressive to anyone.

What does Microsoft say when asked who the target audience for this console is? "Someone with an internet connection?" "Anyone?" "Everyone?"

Honestly, who is this machine for?
Old 06-14-2013, 05:50 AM   #33
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weirdness View Post
Honestly, who is this machine for?
Hardcore gamers, especially those that can see past the politics and just want to play the better games, which the Xbone seems to have.

I pre-ordered the PS4 as soon as the announcement was over. I want to support them for not going crazy with DRM, but looking at the launch games I don't see any exclusives that I need to have. I'm a huge Forza fan though, so I pre-ordered the Xbone too. I don't know which one I'll end up with. It could be both, or neither since these days I prefer PC gaming. We'll see when the launch dates come.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM   #34
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm really finding it hard to buy either system. I got some unexpected cash burning a hole in my pocket, but every title I want to play is going to be out on PC anyway.

Any more exclusives announced in the last day or so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:30 AM   #35
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no problems picking out a bunch of launch titles with my Xbox One pre-order but man did I have a tough time picking out launch games to go with my PS4 order and ended up going with just Killzone and I'm pretty lukewarm on that franchise.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #36
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Hardcore gamers, especially those that can see past the politics and just want to play the better games, which the Xbone seems to have.
I'm interest in seeing how the two systems actually perform in real life with common games. Consensus seems to indicate that the PS4 is at least 50% more powerful than the Xbone, but will that translate into better graphics and performance?
Old 06-14-2013, 08:56 AM   #37
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/article...icrosoft-do-it

This could be an outright miscalculation on Microsoft's part - they could simply have failed to hold their nerve in the face of partners who threatened to withdraw software support from a console that didn't fight back against the "menace" of pre-owned sales (and sharing, and swapping, and lending, and all those other nice things humans quite enjoy doing with their friends and colleagues). That would be embarrassing - it would suggest that Sony's announcement about not beefing up its DRM came as a huge shock to Microsoft, and is probably causing some pretty angry scenes in Redmond meeting rooms right now.

However, I think there's a cultural difference at work here too. I suspect that within Microsoft's culture the notion of "restricted licensing, not outright ownership" is viewed as uncontroversial and mundane. I suspect that there are quite a few people at Microsoft wondering what all the fuss is about, and far more who are just waiting for the "vocal minority" to quiet down and go away, confident that the "silent majority" is perfectly comfortable with everything that Xbox One is doing. Many big companies end up being a bit of an echo chamber, reinforcing viewpoints through ongoing repetition rather than exposing them to healthy external challenge, and Microsoft is no different.

The only aspect of the debacle that I find really crazy is this: this is a fight which Microsoft had no need to pick. As I mentioned, Sony will apply similar DRM to digital purchases, just like everyone else in every entertainment and software industry does. In the coming five years, more and more of the software published and purchased on PS4 will be digital software. The physical retail channel will remain, and it will keep the industry honest by providing a competitive pricing channel, but by and large, Sony will end up selling digital software subject to fairly strict restrictions - all without having had to pick an enormous fight and look like an utterly black-hearted villain for kicking the legs out from under physical, boxed games. Microsoft, too, will be mostly a digital business in five years. Was it really worth risking the company's image and its product's popularity with the core market, potentially undoing years of hard work at building up the Xbox business, just in order to hasten on that process by a few years? Was this not a fight that could have been won just by being a little more patient?
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #38
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I'm interest in seeing how the two systems actually perform in real life with common games. Consensus seems to indicate that the PS4 is at least 50% more powerful than the Xbone, but will that translate into better graphics and performance?
The only time I have seen anything that indicates 50% more powerful is in shading performance. The rest is a lot of theoretical stuff based on percieved hardware benefits. The PS3 was supposed to be much much more powerful than the 360 but we never saw it ever. Also Microsoft can draw from cloud processing. IMO this generation will be just like last gen with games looking mostly the same for the most part with a few exclusives on each console that will make the most out of the hardware.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 AM   #39
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm really excited for the PS4. I bought a WiiU off Kijiji for $200 with an extra controller and 4 games, and am loving it so far; once more of the first party titles get announced, I'll be even happier with it.

I can't believe the arrogance and decisions shown by Microsoft during the past few weeks. I have a 2 360s (one launch) and 2 PS3s for this generation, but can't see myself purchasing a XB1 until the price drops substantially.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #40
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

As an old school gamer who's never downloaded a full console game digitally, how does it work? If I download a single player game off PSN or Live, does it require me to "call in" once in awhile to verify I have a legit copy? That's basically the one big thing that's sticking in my craw for the Xbox One. I don't ever buy used games, and having thought about it these past couple of days, I don't even mind that much that I can't lend my game to a buddy. But the fact that my library of games can potentially be rendered useless in 20 years when no one plays the game anymore and I can't get the other side to "verify" my legit copy of the game is what's really turning me off to the Xbox One.

I honestly don't mind that we're going fully digital if that's how the trend is. What I want is guarantees that my offline games will always work till the day I die and beyond.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote