Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-15-2016, 11:52 AM   #1
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:
Default Website Design Tool

Hello folks,

I'm hoping one of you might be able to recommend a website service where people can simply leave comments and feedback and have them be displayed to visitors of the site. I simply need to be able to display those comments or reviews under my own domain name.

Any suggestions?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:03 PM   #2
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

You can use something like https://disqus.com/

A random example site (comments at the bottom): https://9to5google.com/2016/11/15/oneplus-3t-specs/

Some benefits:
  • About the easiest way to set up comments. Just need to be able to drop some JavaScript on the page. No back end coding required.
  • Has spam protection built-in.
  • Some users will already have accounts.
  • Might be useful to drive more traffic to your site, since users might come across the Disqus discussion on the main site.

Some drawbacks:
  • It is a fair amount of JavaScript to load onto the page. I mean, still lighter weight than Flash ads and the like, but still ads some heft to the page.
  • Probably there is a bunch of nasty user tracking built-in to the widget, if you care about that stuff. I mean, all sites do it anyways, just an FYI.
  • Users will need to sign up, which greatly reduces the likelihood of commenting (but also reduces like 99% of spam). EDIT: Just checked, you can enable Guest commenting, which is nice.
  • This is strictly a drop-in commenting system. Depending on what you are after, this will obviously be a 3rd party integration, and while it appears on your site, it will be obvious to visitors that it isn't integrated with your site. Depends on the professionalism you are looking to portray.

Last edited by gottabekd; 11-15-2016 at 12:07 PM.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Disqus is quite widely used, so yeah there's the benefit of a lot of people already having an account.

Probably the only thing I can think of that would be even wider would be Facebook, lots of site have Facebook comments sections where people can comment with their Facebook accounts. If someone's logged into Facebook in their browser it'll even show up with their name and stuff ("Hey polak, comment on this article:").

https://developers.facebook.com/docs/plugins/comments/

EDIT: This is one I've always wanted to give a try as well, seems well done but I've never used it and have only seen it on sites a few times. https://muut.com/
Old 11-15-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah, the Facebook commenting systems is widely used as well.

Being an old-timer on the Internet, I still like the modicum of privacy an avatar gives you. I cringe at everyone I am connected to on Facebook being able to see and track the websites I visit and comment on. But I understand that a lot of people are proud about having their voice heard on Facebook, ha.

So depends on your audience. If they are likely to be already logged in to Facebook, then they might like being able to directly comment on the page, with a nice little input box showing their Facebook profile photo.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 12:27 PM   #5
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Wow thanks for the in depth responses.

Yeah I need something that encourages everyone to reply as easily as possible. Fb might be the best way to go. Im trying to build a bank of user reviews to try and get some issues resolved so the more feedback I have the better.

I was also considering using a petition service to sort of fill in.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote