Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2023, 06:14 PM   #41
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
I think around season 5 or 6 they sorted out the starvation thing. They would host camps and stuff for the participants before sending them out. That way they'd have more food options in the wild and reduce the risk of tapping out due to parasites and other stupid errors like that.

And then a ton of them got over confident and there were a ton of injuries that had contestants tap out early. It was still interesting.

The redemption arc was kinda cool and I poked back into the earlier seasons I had skipped. There was apparently a season where they tried to have pairs of participants that was referenced in the redemption season. I have yet to find that one to watch.
The pairs were season 4
All of the season are available on demand on Roku channel in US
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2023, 08:24 PM   #42
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was behind and didn't want to read this thread in case things were spoiled. It's interesting to see how these guys are doing. I'm assuming Wyatt with his obviously infected arm has to be going home? I'd guess the favourite at this point is Mikey and I'm kind of pulling for him because of his circumstances.

The pairs season was the one where they dropped them off 10 miles apart and gave them a compass heading to find their partner. It was actually interesting. You think (sitting home on your chesterfield) that you could cover 10 moles pretty quick. It was 10 miles of bushwhacking, of course, and took much longer! But it definitely helped with the isolation element and it wasn't the same game.

Between the fatigue and starvation, the impact on the psyche of people is crushing. They know that going in, but it can't be any easier to deal with.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 12:31 PM   #43
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I find Mikey to be pretty annoying becuase he's always down in the dumps. Every scene is "well, it's snowing so I guess it's another day sittin' around doin' nothin'. He's Alone's Eeyore.

I'm pulling for Alan, he seems to really have the mental stability to make it, and the fish sure seem to help.

I was a little surprised how little big game they've even seen up there. When they say they are just gonna sit around in the shelter all day, I wonder why they don't bring their sleeping bag and go sit somewhere they might see some. If you are doin' nothin', may as well be hunting.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 02:31 PM   #44
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I find Mikey to be pretty annoying becuase he's always down in the dumps. Every scene is "well, it's snowing so I guess it's another day sittin' around doin' nothin'. He's Alone's Eeyore.

I'm pulling for Alan, he seems to really have the mental stability to make it, and the fish sure seem to help.

I was a little surprised how little big game they've even seen up there. When they say they are just gonna sit around in the shelter all day, I wonder why they don't bring their sleeping bag and go sit somewhere they might see some. If you are doin' nothin', may as well be hunting.
I think it's energy conservation and warmth related. In windy and non-windy scenarios it's warmer in the shelter vs exposed even with a sleeping bag. I also assume they sleep a ton when they're at their shelter vs being fully alert at all times in there.

Plus I assume they have to walk like 5-15 minutes to the game trails. Double that for a round trip, that's a bunch of energy they have to expend when they might already be in a sort of calorie deficit hibernation mode.

I assumed in a survival mode like they are in where almost every calorie counts, such an activity is actually a gamble in expending calories to obtain more calories. IIRC, the contestants often complain of being light headed and ill and either needing rest or being more focused in increasing their food intake.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2023, 02:35 PM   #45
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sure, but you can't increase your food intake if you don't have food. It seems a poor strategy on day 30-50. I'm not sure anyone actually makes it to the end when they give up on food procurement. Like, what has Mikey actually eaten? A few grouse, squirrels and some mice(rats)?
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 02:43 PM   #46
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, but you can't increase your food intake if you don't have food. It seems a poor strategy on day 30-50. I'm not sure anyone actually makes it to the end when they give up on food procurement. Like, what has Mikey actually eaten? A few grouse, squirrels and some mice(rats)?
I'm always kind of astonished on how little people eat there. I remember in one of the early seasons (maybe 2?), when a guy was wasting away and losing an insane amount of weight because he rationed his fish so much. The med crew came and pulled him, and he was devastated. It's weird though, because you have to realise that you're starving to death and you literally have food right there (that is still not enough!) and you're just not eating it.

Maybe people who eat all the food and don't ration are gone early? I feel like you'd be better off to eat more, and then go hunt or fish and hopefully catch more, as opposed to rationing and wasting away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 03:13 PM   #47
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know in previous seasons, quite a few of them were often worried about slipping, tripping etc. while light headed and dizzy and getting injured. I think starting in season one, a few guys were already commenting that they were waiting on a day that they felt at their best before doing those activities.

I agree with you that increasing food intake by trying to hunt is the most logical direction to take. But I wondered if there is additional logic to avoid that move.

Slava has also detailed the other side of the illogical facet that has occurred on previous seasons. I remember that fish one. The dude was literally in a sauna hut full of smoked fish and rationing it like he was worried he'd run out of food. Dude was sitting on multiple weeks of rations IIRC and he was just wasting away for an unknown reason. But I'm also intrigued if intentionally rationing is a strategy that is required. I know if you do the 30 hour famine (for instance) and then gorge, you'll feel pretty crappy. I wonder if in their situation, many instances of food feel like gorging to them and they feel crappy if they eat larger reserves of food?
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 03:20 PM   #48
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think for the most part contestants spend way too much time in the first 2 weeks on shelter. "I'll eat later" is a mantra for going home sooner.

Alan totally nailed it with the teepee he put up in a day. Melanie spent so much time trimming logs with her saw that was just unnecessarily.

I have a fire strategy I'd use from my grad camping trip. We were far too lazy to cut wood, but were in a cut block. We just dragged trees to the fire pit, and kept feeding them in. No cutting required.

So I'd build Alan's teepee, but have it designed so I could feed trees in from 3 directions and never have to cut firewood. I like to pretend all the ways I'd be better than these amateurs who have no clue, while I eat pie and ice cream.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2023, 03:41 PM   #49
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think for the most part contestants spend way too much time in the first 2 weeks on shelter. "I'll eat later" is a mantra for going home sooner.

Alan totally nailed it with the teepee he put up in a day. Melanie spent so much time trimming logs with her saw that was just unnecessarily.

I have a fire strategy I'd use from my grad camping trip. We were far too lazy to cut wood, but were in a cut block. We just dragged trees to the fire pit, and kept feeding them in. No cutting required.

So I'd build Alan's teepee, but have it designed so I could feed trees in from 3 directions and never have to cut firewood. I like to pretend all the ways I'd be better than these amateurs who have no clue, while I eat pie and ice cream.
I've also occasionally wondered why a "Swedish torch" cooking strategy isn't used. It's often so haphazard in how some of those fires look and it's lit many shelters on fire on occasion. Many of them have saws and whatnot and could produce one of these, so I've occasionally wondered why when they get to start kicking back, why they don't attempt things like that to reduce the risk of a fire getting out of control.

It's often more complex fire pits and fire places right from the get go.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 05:35 AM   #50
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Well, to your last point, that's the joy of this show! I'm allergic to fish, but sitting at home, I'm pretty confident that I'd catch fish and hold them up for the camera only to release them. I have no clue what I'd be eating though. And the people "hunting" which means subsisting on mice/squirrels/whatever that gross slime stuff was on the BC coast a few years ago? I'm not eating that. I'd last 2/3 days tops.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 06:27 AM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dislike fish, so ya, it's a good thing we don't have smell-o-vision because it would really disrupt my fantasy of surviving on fish. Realistically if I had to I'd eat fish, grouse, and big game, though I'd have no idea what to do when I saw one. I'm sure I'd figure it out, I'm pretty smart. But I wouldn't be eating squirrel and mice, that's tap out time.
Old 08-10-2023, 09:09 AM   #52
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody else buy one of those Big Boy folding saws all the contestants seem to have? Mine just arrived this week. Now to build a shelter.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 09:13 AM   #53
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been eyeing them up, for sure! But a few weeks ago I bought this, and it's just the most handy branch trimmer around. My wife has been using it all over the yard. She's taking out a hedge right now with it! I wonder if you could bring it as one of your 10 items...

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCS369B...dp/B082BTT92H/
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 09:15 AM   #54
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I dislike fish, so ya, it's a good thing we don't have smell-o-vision because it would really disrupt my fantasy of surviving on fish. Realistically if I had to I'd eat fish, grouse, and big game, though I'd have no idea what to do when I saw one. I'm sure I'd figure it out, I'm pretty smart. But I wouldn't be eating squirrel and mice, that's tap out time.
Yeah, no fish on the menu for me, either.

Always impressed with their bow hunting skills, although maybe bow hunting is relatively easy with a little practice? But, geez, they have a lot of success when they finally do see something.

I like the log cabin people. That would make me feel safe from bears. I also don't blame Mikey for just chilling in his shelter. I think I would like that part of things. He sure loves that one kid of his, but I thought I remembered him having about four kids or something. They're sure chopped liver compared to his favourite. I'm guessing the others are his step kids, otherwise yowza, dude.

Rooting for Alan as he's the coolest and most relatable from just a hanging-out-with-him perspective. Infected arm guy is neat, too, but that has to take him out at some point with all the play they've given it through the season.

Mikey could definitely use the money the most and he's adapted really well to what is quite a foreign environment compared to what he's used to.

Whoever wins will be fine, really. They've all done so well. Special shout-out to the model chick as well. Great attitude and really neat person.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2023, 09:18 AM   #55
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I've been eyeing them up, for sure! But a few weeks ago I bought this, and it's just the most handy branch trimmer around. My wife has been using it all over the yard. She's taking out a hedge right now with it! I wonder if you could bring it as one of your 10 items...

https://www.amazon.ca/DEWALT-DCS369B...dp/B082BTT92H/
That's pretty BA. Nice.

Yeah, I bought this earlier this summer and pruned all of my trees. It's my first chainsaw and I'm in love with it. Plus it'll be my go-to weapon if #### ever hits the fan.

https://www.makita.ca/index2new.php?...d=3928&catid=7
Old 08-10-2023, 09:35 AM   #56
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah nice. I've got a bit of an aversion to chain saws after spending a summer using and having to sharpen the chains on them! The disposable sawzall blades are my jam.
Old 08-10-2023, 10:42 AM   #57
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Ah nice. I've got a bit of an aversion to chain saws after spending a summer using and having to sharpen the chains on them! The disposable sawzall blades are my jam.
You just made me instantly regret my purchase. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2023, 02:07 PM   #58
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wish Sawzall blades were sharper. Lots of handsaws have knife sharp teeth on them. Lots of sawzall blades like diablo seem closer to butter knife sharpness.

The folding saws are pretty sweet. A buddy of mine brought one camping once, but we had no clue what he could actually saw without getting into trouble.

The fish thing, I'd eat it. Now the dude in season 1 who boiled the huge slugs and said they tasted like shrimp... huge no from me bro.
Old 08-17-2023, 08:00 PM   #59
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Somewhat related to Alone.

Kings of Pain looks terrible
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2023, 07:01 PM   #60
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I waited to watch the finals and then inadvertently had it spoiled for me! The right guy won I think. And the last couple weeks or so looks so brutal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:

Tags
so ronery