Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #21
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It may not be an issue for you, but for somebody afraid of dogs it is an issue. And what you're doing is against the law. Frankly, I'm surprised you'd admit to having your dog off-leash on a sidewalk - it points to a lack of respect for others in your community IMO.

You really don't see this issue with somebody's dog getting it's drool, fur and mange all over my clothes and my daughter's clothes? And that would only be the issue if she wasn't afraid of dogs. The fact that she is scared dogs and wasn't expecting to see them on a walk we take often only added to the intensity of the situation for her. Like I said, these weren't your typical scary dogs, but to somebody three feet tall, I imagine they looked a little more menacing to her than to me.

The issue is with the dog owners - this wasn't my daughter's fault. You should always have your dog on a leash so you can restrain it for a multitude of reasons, but the one I'm highlighting in this thread is because some people have a genuine fear of dogs and an unrestrained dog can be particularly scary.
Most of the people in my community know my dog. 99% of people say "Hi Jack" and are happy to see him. Not once have I ever had someone like you to deal with (thank god). If I did though, and you were clear that your daughter was afraid, I would happily keep my dog back.

Face it, unless your daughter had an actual scary incident, your hatred of dogs has rubbed off on your daughter. You called out dog owners and I'll happily call you out as a parent.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 01:16 PM   #22
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
Dogs should ALWAYS be on a leash unless they are in an off leash area.
Hey that's a good idea, you should contact City Hall.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #23
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Hey that's a good idea, you should contact City Hall.
You know what I will dang it!
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #24
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Dogs that are never given trust by there owners, and always kept on leash, will be the most likely to be hyper and curious and run up to everything. It wouldn't know better.

You can tell when a dog is well socialized and has been allowed to be off leash from a young age.
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:22 PM   #25
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hate it when I go camping with friends and someone brings a dog and leaves them unleashed even worse if your going on a boat and they wanna throw the dog in the lake. I find Dog owners very unaware of how rude they can be.
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yanda For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #26
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

You do have some valid points, such as keeping the dogs on a leash on the side walk and the owner needs to have more respect for other people. Having said that a 6 year old doesn't have arational thought process and obviously that doesn't help her in a situation such as this.

As her parent it's your job to have that rational thought process for her, but it seems like your judgement is clouded because of your views on dogs in general. Your reaction to the dogs increases her fear level, you owe it to your daughter to act more mature in a situation like this. You need to put your hate of dogs to the side and act rationally.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:26 PM   #27
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I like dogs but I get very nervous around ones I don't know, especially if they're hyper. Keep your dogs on a leash and respect other people's space. Not everyone wants a dog running up to them.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:33 PM   #28
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

You remind me of my mom sliver.

She was terrified of dogs and passed it on to me as a kid. Thankfully I grew out of that stage and am not scared of dogs any longer.

Look in the mirror sliver you're doing your child a huge disservice by showing so much hatred and fear for dogs.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puckluck2 For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 12-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #29
nixon45
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
It may not be an issue for you, but for somebody afraid of dogs it is an issue. And what you're doing is against the law. Frankly, I'm surprised you'd admit to having your dog off-leash on a sidewalk - it points to a lack of respect for others in your community IMO.

You really don't see this issue with somebody's dog getting it's drool, fur and mange all over my clothes and my daughter's clothes? And that would only be the issue if she wasn't afraid of dogs. The fact that she is scared dogs and wasn't expecting to see them on a walk we take often only added to the intensity of the situation for her. Like I said, these weren't your typical scary dogs, but to somebody three feet tall, I imagine they looked a little more menacing to her than to me.

The issue is with the dog owners - this wasn't my daughter's fault. You should always have your dog on a leash so you can restrain it for a multitude of reasons, but the one I'm highlighting in this thread is because some people have a genuine fear of dogs and an unrestrained dog can be particularly scary.

Hmmm seems like the only way to solve this is to keep your daughter locked up in a dark room. That way she will never have to deal with any of the horrors that exist in the outside world.
nixon45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nixon45 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #30
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
You do have some valid points, such as keeping the dogs on a leash on the side walk and the owner needs to have more respect for other people. Having said that a 6 year old doesn't have arational thought process and obviously that doesn't help her in a situation such as this.

As her parent it's your job to have that rational thought process for her, but it seems like your judgement is clouded because of your views on dogs in general. Your reaction to the dogs increases her fear level, you owe it to your daughter to act more mature in a situation like this. You need to put your hate of dogs to the side and act rationally.
Yeah, I think that's a fair point. I could have handled it better. I do wish the lady had pulled her dogs back when she saw me and my daughter struggling with the situation, though. She seemed to think it was adorable. Look at all the trouble those rascally dogs are getting into LOL!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #31
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Please. Yes, a dog owner should have their dogs on a leash if they're not in an off-leash area, that much is a given. As well, an owner should restrain their dogs if they can see someone is uncomfortable. But, if you're going to classify the owner as 'dumb', you yourself are firmly in that same boat. Let's see:

-Prior knowledge of your daughter being scared of dogs
-Two off leash dogs approaching with their owner steps behind them
-Though appearing to be friendly they are still unknown and could be jumping all over you and your daughter upon contact.
-You let the situation proceed without doing anything to remove your daughter from it by simply picking her up

THAT is dumb.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #32
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True, but those people generally don't try to shove their wet noses in my crotch and on my hands.
I would be willing to bet that a dogs nose is much cleaner than most peoples hands you would shake. Or maybe you have to have gloves for that too.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:35 PM   #33
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixon45 View Post
Hmmm seems like the only way to solve this is to keep your daughter locked up in a dark room. That way she will never have to deal with any of the horrors that exist in the outside world.
What?
Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #34
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I would be willing to bet that a dogs nose is much cleaner than most peoples hands you would shake. Or maybe you have to have gloves for that too.
Dogs lick their own ass and eat feces.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:36 PM   #35
puckluck2
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Ill take that bet. A dog is much dirtier than a human. Don't let the myths fool you.
puckluck2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:37 PM   #36
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Watch out for eagles in parks too. The world is a dangerous place man.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #37
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Please. Yes, a dog owner should have their dogs on a leash if they're not in an off-leash area, that much is a given. As well, an owner should restrain their dogs if they can see someone is uncomfortable. But, if you're going to classify the owner as 'dumb', you yourself are firmly in that same boat. Let's see:

-Prior knowledge of your daughter being scared of dogs
-Two off leash dogs approaching with their owner steps behind them
-Though appearing to be friendly they are still unknown and could be jumping all over you and your daughter upon contact.
-You let the situation proceed without doing anything to remove your daughter from it by simply picking her up

THAT is dumb.
Well, yeah, I picked her up. Running wouldn't have helped and I guess I forgot my teleporting machine. How else was I supposed to get her out of the situation? I wasn't scared - she was. So I helped her. I've already conceded it would have been better to call to the owner in addition to helping my daughter, but my options were fairly limited. If they became aggressive I was going to kick them with all my might, but that wasn't necessary.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:40 PM   #38
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
My buddy seems to hate to leash his dog and its a a poor dog to not leash, but what am I gonna do. The dog is super hyper, high strung, tall with a hideously loud shrill bark. Suprised it hasn't been hit by a car yet. Kept alone in the house all day. Anyway, going to another buddys house with the dog in the back going apecrap, like it always does. We stop so he releases the hatch and the dog naturally bolts out of the car like a bat out of hell for anything to scare to death.

Middle aged asian lady walking up Patina drive and of course he bolts right to her at top speed. Totally stupid to be off leash. Gets right in her face, because its a tall dog and bark shrieks super loud. I know from experience that you knee it in the gut and it will yelp like a bitch, but this lady is shrieking hands beside her face, shaking. Dog and lady shrieking right into each others face.

The one person in the City that would least like this to happen, gets it.

Man it was funny in a cruel sort of way.
WTF? doesn't like to leash his dog? what does that mean? he prob doesn't pick up dog crap either.
Bertuzzied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:41 PM   #39
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I always keep my dog on a short leash when we're walking around. If someone wants to come pet her, I shift my hand directly onto the collar with my action kung fu grip.

My dog loves people and will pull like mad while on the leash to get to them. I've tried many different training techniques over 8 years but nothing has worked really well aside from her aging. Does anyone have a good method to stop the dog from pulling to go say hi?
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #40
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Well, yeah, I picked her up. Running wouldn't have helped and I guess I forgot my teleporting machine. How else was I supposed to get her out of the situation? I wasn't scared - she was. So I helped her. I've already conceded it would have been better to call to the owner in addition to helping my daughter, but my options were fairly limited. If they became aggressive I was going to kick them with all my might, but that wasn't necessary.
Your telling of the story suggests you had time to pick her up before they got to you, as in you could see them coming. Is that not the case, then?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dogs