Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2015, 09:08 PM   #1441
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Jankowski should be signed now and developed further in the AHL?
Both have their pros:

Pros NCAA
- Easier to hit the weight room with a 40 game schedule. Jankowski is still 20-25lbs below his projected NHL weight.
- Chance for Jankowski to be in a leadership role as a Senior, maybe even one of the two Captains?

Cons NCAA
- No control over Jankowski's ice time
- Players on Jankowski's line don't play up to his level as they're not very skilled and Providence is a very small team that plays North-South, so more bad numbers making him look like a bust
- Jankowski might walk as a UFA in 2016

Pros AHL
- 60-70 game schedule means more actual games played to develop
- Jankowski gets to feed Poirier, Klimchuk, Agostino, Granlund etc
- Control over minutes/systems play/etc and maybe even call Jankowski up to the NHL
- Maybe win a Calder Cup

Cons AHL
- Jankowski is essentially a rookie again and never gets "leadership" experience
- Huska is a pretty crappy coach.
- Schedule means less weight room time

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:32 AM   #1442
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Cons AHL
- Jankowski is essentially a rookie again and never gets "leadership" experience
- Huska is a pretty crappy coach.
- Schedule means less weight room time
What makes you think Huska is a bad coach? Not getting a young inexperienced AHL team into the playoffs while missing their #1 goalie down the stretch?

The number of games for the AHL West Division will be reduced next season. I doubt his weight room time will be substantially different. Could even be higher without those annoying classes he has to take.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2015, 03:26 AM   #1443
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
Am I the only one who thinks Jankowski should be signed now and developed further in the AHL?
I think he's currently on the correct path. There's been enough second guessing in regards to this prospect; do we really need to second guess his development path as well?

He was projected to take 5 years to develop; 1 year in the USHL & 4 in the NCAA. As far as I'm concerned he's a year ahead of schedule and looking pretty good for someone who skipped a level of hockey.

We also have a bit of a log jam at C right now & I really wouldn't expect him to get as many minutes in the AHL as he will in Providence.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2015, 12:04 PM   #1444
Glo Boyz
Lifetime Suspension

Hopefully he can be a Brian Boyle type player for us. Excellent defensively and on face offs and with decent hands. He could play a very important role for us in the future
Glo Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:17 PM   #1445
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully he can turn into a solid 3rd line C and possibly take over for Backlund in that role in 3-5 years. His size is still a great asset and hopefully he takes a big step forward next year.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 12:45 PM   #1446
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
What makes you think Huska is a bad coach?
The lack of progression in the team over the year.

1) From a discipline perspective. At the beginning of the season their biggest problem was that they'd take too many dumb penalties. At the end of the season their biggest problem was they'd take too many dumb penalties. There's definitely some concerns when you're giving up like, 8 power plays a game.

2) From a systems-learning perspective. At the beginning of the season the D hung their goaltender out to dry. At the end of the season the D hung their goaltender out to dry. Part of that is definitely on the youth of the D core, but he never seemed to point that out. He'd just blame the goaltender.

Even forwards who had pretty good years in 2013-14, like Ferland, Reinhart, and Baertschi were total non-factors most of the year for Huska. I want to believe he's a decent coach, but I'm not optimistic for the development of Flames prospects under him.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 05-31-2015, 01:04 PM   #1447
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The lack of progression in the team over the year.

1) From a discipline perspective. At the beginning of the season their biggest problem was that they'd take too many dumb penalties. At the end of the season their biggest problem was they'd take too many dumb penalties. There's definitely some concerns when you're giving up like, 8 power plays a game.

2) From a systems-learning perspective. At the beginning of the season the D hung their goaltender out to dry. At the end of the season the D hung their goaltender out to dry. Part of that is definitely on the youth of the D core, but he never seemed to point that out. He'd just blame the goaltender.

Even forwards who had pretty good years in 2013-14, like Ferland, Reinhart, and Baertschi were total non-factors most of the year for Huska. I want to believe he's a decent coach, but I'm not optimistic for the development of Flames prospects under him.
1. Discipline could be a matter of their youth adjusting to the pros.

2. The team was learning a new system that jived with the big team after Ward ran his own system. The defence had to adapt and I guess it hasn't been that easy to make the judgment of when to attack and when to play safe.

I'm not totally behind Huska but he deserves more than one year to adapt and the team to adapt. The main job of an AHL coach isn't to win but to develop our players and as far as our forwards are concerned I think he has done that. Our defencemen have not been as successful but give him some time.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 01:07 PM   #1448
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Reinhart was 3rd in team scoring. Sven played 36 games. Ferland played 32. So if you're not playing much that's probably a good reason they weren't huge factors at times.

Huska was hired from the WHL and had a young team with tons of injuries in his first season in the AHL. I think it's way too premature to conclude that he's a poor coach.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2015, 01:09 PM   #1449
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
The main job of an AHL coach isn't to win but to develop our players and as far as our forwards are concerned I think he has done that. Our defencemen have not been as successful but give him some time.
Exactly, his job is to develop and prepare players to play with the Flames. Pretty much every single player that was called up played well and did not look out of place at all. Obviously Huska was doing something right.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 06:49 PM   #1450
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
let's look NCAA wide.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/stats/fi...ring&sort=g_gm

tied for 17th in the NCAA, the teams ahead in HE are 2nd and 7th respectively and the 5th place team in HE is 19th.

Providence also took a ton of shots, at nearly 34.49 per game (6th in NCAA). This tells me that they needed to shoot more than other teams to produce average offensive numbers. To support my point Providence was 38th in shooting percentage.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 07:16 PM   #1451
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
let's look NCAA wide.

http://hockeyeastonline.com/stats/fi...ring&sort=g_gm

tied for 17th in the NCAA, the teams ahead in HE are 2nd and 7th respectively and the 5th place team in HE is 19th.

Providence also took a ton of shots, at nearly 34.49 per game (6th in NCAA). This tells me that they needed to shoot more than other teams to produce average offensive numbers. To support my point Providence was 38th in shooting percentage.
Also, they somehow found their scoring touch in the NCAA Tournament (a big reason they were able to win it). If you exclude the four games they played in the Tournament, their goals per game drops to 24th and their shooting percentage is 41st (of 59 Division 1 schools).
Old 05-31-2015, 07:46 PM   #1452
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Also, they somehow found their scoring touch in the NCAA Tournament (a big reason they were able to win it). If you exclude the four games they played in the Tournament, their goals per game drops to 24th and their shooting percentage is 41st (of 59 Division 1 schools).
Yep. Bottom line is Providence has a bunch of guys with pretty average offensive ability, that scores through hard work and not skill. Jankowski to me when watching seemed to be the anomaly on that team, his skill, vision and hockey sense were top notch but he was being used in a role similar to how we utilize Backlund.

I would love to see what he could do in the AHL personally, I think you put him with Klimchuk and Poirier and we see a completely different player.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Alberta_Beef For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2015, 03:42 AM   #1453
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Yep. Bottom line is Providence has a bunch of guys with pretty average offensive ability, that scores through hard work and not skill. Jankowski to me when watching seemed to be the anomaly on that team, his skill, vision and hockey sense were top notch but he was being used in a role similar to how we utilize Backlund.

I would love to see what he could do in the AHL personally, I think you put him with Klimchuk and Poirier and we see a completely different player.
I would like to see that too, but I'm perfectly content to wait until next year. He can still improve his game in the NCAA, get stronger and play in all the big scenarios for Providence. If he were to go straight to the AHL he would be buried in the depth chart and wouldn't get anywhere near as much playing time.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 07:40 AM   #1454
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
I would like to see that too, but I'm perfectly content to wait until next year. He can still improve his game in the NCAA, get stronger and play in all the big scenarios for Providence. If he were to go straight to the AHL he would be buried in the depth chart and wouldn't get anywhere near as much playing time.
So despite of your thinking that Jankowski is a good pick that is going to work out you think that where he is as a 21 year old he would be buried behind other young players to the point that he wouldn't get a whole lot of ice time???

Do you think Hunter Smith (#54 2014) as a 20 year old would be ahead of him in the AHL? I think that the Flames would want quite a bit more than a 2nd round pick for Smith.

You don't really think that the Flames could trade the AHL guys that you deem to be better player than him at this point in time for a 2nd round pick do you?

Jankowski has the built in 2nd round pick #51 overall in 2017 should the Flames not sign him.

If it wasn't for the getting a 2nd round pick for not signing him the best place for him as Flame, by a wide margin, would be in the AHL.

The best place for Jankowski is the NCAA.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:17 AM   #1455
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
So despite of your thinking that Jankowski is a good pick that is going to work out you think that where he is as a 21 year old he would be buried behind other young players to the point that he wouldn't get a whole lot of ice time???

Do you think Hunter Smith (#54 2014) as a 20 year old would be ahead of him in the AHL? I think that the Flames would want quite a bit more than a 2nd round pick for Smith.

You don't really think that the Flames could trade the AHL guys that you deem to be better player than him at this point in time for a 2nd round pick do you?

Jankowski has the built in 2nd round pick #51 overall in 2017 should the Flames not sign him.

If it wasn't for the getting a 2nd round pick for not signing him the best place for him as Flame, by a wide margin, would be in the AHL.

The best place for Jankowski is the NCAA.
You're arguing with yourself.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2015, 11:30 AM   #1456
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no specific opinion on Jankowksi, but I just watched the end of the NCAA championship game Providence - BU on YouTube.

Unless he was injured, it seems his coach barely used him at this clutch time. He has one longer shift mostly on the defensive end, (around 26-27 minute mark), and doesn't exactly impress, and a couple of other shifts where he was completely invisible.

(The PBP guy mistakenly puts him at the faceoff dot on the winning goal, but it's clearly another guy.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:47 AM   #1457
Glo Boyz
Lifetime Suspension

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I have no specific opinion on Jankowksi, but I just watched the end of the NCAA championship game Providence - BU on YouTube.

Unless he was injured, it seems his coach barely used him at this clutch time. He has one longer shift mostly on the defensive end, (around 26-27 minute mark), and doesn't exactly impress, and a couple of other shifts where he was completely invisible.

(The PBP guy mistakenly puts him at the faceoff dot on the winning goal, but it's clearly another guy.)
Gillies though.....
Glo Boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 11:48 AM   #1458
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I'd watch the entire game if you get a chance.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 06-01-2015 at 12:12 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2015, 12:19 PM   #1459
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
his coach barely used him
His coach gives him next to zero offensive zone faceoffs, electing for Juniors that are 22/23 and of course Seniors. IMO that's a big reason his numbers don't match the eye test.

...But look who's taking most D-zone faceoffs, it's Jankowski. The only other guy to get D-zone faceoffs was Noel Acciari (Hockey East defensive player of the year, a guy the Flames had in Dev Camp a few years ago BTW).

I think the coach was simply sheltering his other lines. For instance #21 Kevin Rooney (15 points in 41 games) seemed to get every O-Zone start possible but not a single in the D-Zone.

Old 06-01-2015, 12:24 PM   #1460
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
You're arguing with yourself.

There is a difference what is good for the Flames and what is good for an individual player.

In almost all situations the team gets its way, it is up to player to adapt and make the best of his opportunities.

This is one of the few times in his career that Jankowski has viable options that he has some control.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote