Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #3441
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gulutzan made some comments in preseason about Jankowski splitting his season 40 AHL - 40 NHL. I think people expecting Jankowski up by the ten game mark are being very optimistic.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 07:43 PM   #3442
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
If he's equally happy being with the farm team and in the NHL, there's something wrong with him, don't you think? I'm not saying he's blown his top and demanding a trade next week. I'm saying the best you can expect is that he is tolerating the situation and taking it in stride. Seems to be the case up to now. Don't think it's reasonable to expect that to remain the case indefinitely.
No one has suggested or implied that Jankowski is equally happy in either Stockton or Calgary. I'm sure he would much rather be in Calgary.

But there is a huge difference between Jankowski wanting to play in the NHL and Jankowski demanding a trade because he thinks the organization has treated him unfairly.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #3443
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know how I would react. $70k vs $1 million after earning a NHL spot then being sent down. An NHL career can be extremely short. Janko could break his leg or suffer a career ending injury playing in a league he no longer belongs. I personally would force the issue or have a very short window permitting the Flames to change up their roster.
spuzzum is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to spuzzum For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:05 PM   #3444
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by spuzzum View Post
I know how I would react. $70k vs $1 million after earning a NHL spot then being sent down. An NHL career can be extremely short. Janko could break his leg or suffer a career ending injury playing in a league he no longer belongs. I personally would force the issue or have a very short window permitting the Flames to change up their roster.
Lol. Well Jankowski probably has a good grasp on the idea that he'll make millions playing the game. You make it sound like this will cost him his one chance at striking it rich. Pretty slanted viewpoint you're trying to put forward.

Your "reaction" sounds very selfish, short-sighted and immature. But hey that's just my reaction to your hypothetical reaction if you were Jankowski.

This thread sure has taken a bizarre twist.

Last edited by Flames Draft Watcher; 10-11-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 08:09 PM   #3445
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Lol. Well Jankowski probably has a good grasp on the idea that he'll make millions playing the game. You make it sound like this will cost him his one chance at striking it rich.

Your "reaction" sounds very selfish, short-sighted and immature. But hey that's just my reaction to your hypothetical reaction if you were Jankowski.
Damn right I'm selfish. This isn't a charity and I'd be very short sighted given the dangers of hockey. I fail to see how making a 7 digit salary over 5 makes is immature.
Old 10-11-2017, 08:12 PM   #3446
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

At some point Jankowski would have good reason to be upset at being good enough to play in the NHL while playing for Stockton. But we are on game 4 of the regular season. I don't know when frustration might set in but how do we know Flames didn't give him a timetable.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 PM   #3447
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Damn right I'm selfish. This isn't a charity and I'd be very short sighted given the dangers of hockey. I fail to see how making a 7 digit salary over 5 makes is immature.
It's immature because he's going to be making a 7 million dollar salary for an entire career. Pouting, demanding trades, etc over a small part of one season of his career would be totally selfish and immature.

I think Jankowski is probably a more mature person than you. I'm sure he was pissed and disappointed but he's not going to let that sidetrack his career. He's not going to act like a spoiled brat and demand a trade.

Can't believe the direction this thread has gone. Some of you are hilarious
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2017, 08:25 PM   #3448
spuzzum
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
It's immature because he's going to be making a 7 million dollar salary for an entire career. Pouting, demanding trades, etc over a small part of one season of his career would be totally selfish and immature.

I think Jankowski is probably a more mature person than you. I'm sure he was pissed and disappointed but he's not going to let that sidetrack his career. He's not going to act like a spoiled brat and demand a trade.

Can't believe the direction this thread has gone. Some of you are hilarious
Did I say demand a trade? You might want to try reading things twice or thrice. I'd have a very concrete and direct conversation with Flames management about how long a short window in the minors would be. How you consider that immature, spoiled, and being a brat quite illogical as any green blooded Vulcan would say.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:01 PM   #3449
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Did I say demand a trade?
No, but Fan in Exile did, before you jumped into the conversation on his side. Your language was heated and inflammatory, and I, for one, got the impression that you not only agreed with F.I.E., but took an even stronger position than that. I know I'm not involved, and I'm not trying to take a side; but I thought a neutral observer's point of view might be informative.

By the way, you make it look like Jankowski has lost $930,000, or the entire difference between his AHL and NHL salaries for the year. Since those salaries are prorated by the day, he has so far lost about $40,000. Even if no trades occur in the near future, Jankowski is certain to be the first callup when a forward is injured, and I suspect he will stay up for the rest of the season. In that case, the money he has lost is scarcely more than a rounding error. Of course, if he does spend the year in the AHL, he will be entitled to some high-class grumbling; but it's premature to predict that just yet.
Old 10-11-2017, 09:04 PM   #3450
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Did I say demand a trade? You might want to try reading things twice or thrice
You said you would "force the issue." I'm guessing I'm not the only person that reads certain things into that.

How else would Jankowski force the issue?
Old 10-12-2017, 09:50 AM   #3451
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
No, but Fan in Exile did, before you jumped into the conversation on his side. Your language was heated and inflammatory, and I, for one, got the impression that you not only agreed with F.I.E., but took an even stronger position than that. I know I'm not involved, and I'm not trying to take a side; but I thought a neutral observer's point of view might be informative.

By the way, you make it look like Jankowski has lost $930,000, or the entire difference between his AHL and NHL salaries for the year. Since those salaries are prorated by the day, he has so far lost about $40,000. Even if no trades occur in the near future, Jankowski is certain to be the first callup when a forward is injured, and I suspect he will stay up for the rest of the season. In that case, the money he has lost is scarcely more than a rounding error. Of course, if he does spend the year in the AHL, he will be entitled to some high-class grumbling; but it's premature to predict that just yet.
Okay, I guess I fanned the flames on this. But I did qualify all of my statements. I said if things aren't resolved soon, I can see Jankowski demanding a trade next summer. Is that really so far-fetched?
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #3452
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah, that’s not how that works. There’s a very big difference.
Yeah, I was totally wrong on that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 09:56 AM   #3453
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How?
Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 AM   #3454
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, I guess I fanned the flames on this. But I did qualify all of my statements. I said if things aren't resolved soon, I can see Jankowski demanding a trade next summer. Is that really so far-fetched?
It's pretty far fetched. Jankowski is first call-up for a top 9 injury, for him not to stick with the big club there'd either be no real injuries to the top 9 all season, or he gets a few opportunities and poops the bed on all of them (which doesn't give him much leverage for a trade demand).

Jankowski is wise to the fact that a young player has to kick down the door and wait for the right time to get top 9 playing time in the NHL, he's done nothing in his career to indicate he's a pouter.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 10:05 AM   #3455
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty clear Treliving has told Jankowski he's coming up ASAP. And he announced the same thing publicly. Jankowski's early season AHL performance indicates a distinct lack of pouting.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:12 AM   #3456
JerryUnderscore
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's far-fetched in that it seems out of character for Jankowski.

He could have used the fact that he was a 1st round pick to "demand" a particular role in Providence yet he didn't.

He could have "demanded" that the Flames burn the first year of his ELC the way they did with Gaudreau and threatened to explore free agency if they didn't capitulate to his demands yet he didn't.

He could have demanded a trade already based on the fact that he should have made the team yet he hasn't.

None of us know Mark Jankowski personally, so we can't speak to what's going on in his head, but everything that we've seen from him over the last five years indicates he's patient and willing to pay his dues.

Generally speaking, both in hockey and in life, it doesn't do you well to make demands and bully your way through situations. Jankowski will get his chance and it will probably be sooner rather than later.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:34 AM   #3457
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Right, because no one has ever seen situations like this go wrong. Jankowski can do math. So can his agent.
Precisely. So, given that both Jankowski and his agent have a MUCH firmer grasp on the entire situation than you, perhaps you will agree that you are blowing this far out of proportion.

Quote:
I think the scenario is far-fetched, yes. Given how he has played, given the glowing reports from coaches and management, given the comments about Jankowski's imminent NHL assignment in the short term by pundits I see no reason whatsoever to think that he will spend any significant time at all in the AHL. All indications are that Jankowski will be in the NHL very soon, and there is virtually nothing to suggest that he will play more than a couple dozen AHL games at the most this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 10-12-2017 at 10:36 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:32 AM   #3458
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Gulutzan made some comments in preseason about Jankowski splitting his season 40 AHL - 40 NHL. I think people expecting Jankowski up by the ten game mark are being very optimistic.
He did? Not saying he didn't but I would think that would have been brought up and I don't remember seeing that. Again, not saying you made it up because my memory ain't great.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #3459
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFlameDog View Post
He did? Not saying he didn't but I would think that would have been brought up and I don't remember seeing that. Again, not saying you made it up because my memory ain't great.
Yeah, I don't think GG has ever said that.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:10 PM   #3460
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Yeah, I don't think GG has ever said that.
Surely it would have been quoted and discussed at length, but I don't remember seeing that.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote