Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2019, 06:57 PM   #1721
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
So excited for Red Dead on PC. The minute I started on PS4 I knew it was a game that needed mouse and keyboard controls to get the most from, and I can't wait to see that game in gorgeous 1440p 144hz.

Just need some self control to force myself to wait an extra month for the steam version though

What crazy NASA space computer do you have that you think might be able to run RDR2 at 1440p / 144fps? I have a pretty good PC and I'm barely expecting to be able to get a consistent 60fps in 1440p without turning down some settings.
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #1722
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
What crazy NASA space computer do you have that you think might be able to run RDR2 at 1440p / 144fps? I have a pretty good PC and I'm barely expecting to be able to get a consistent 60fps in 1440p without turning down some settings.
2080ti and a i7 9700k. But you're right it'll most likely hover around 100 fps I imagine.

Still can't wait

Last edited by btimbit; 11-03-2019 at 02:53 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:19 AM   #1723
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite the criticisms of D3, one of the funnest gaming experiences ever was couch coop on console.

This coming from an old guard PC D2 fan.

I look forward to D4. If nothing else it'll be a fun hack and slash couch coop with my wife when we put the kids to sleep.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2019, 11:56 AM   #1724
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
Despite the criticisms of D3, one of the funnest gaming experiences ever was couch coop on console.

This coming from an old guard PC D2 fan.

I look forward to D4. If nothing else it'll be a fun hack and slash couch coop with my wife when we put the kids to sleep.
Your kids will have moved out before it comes out
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 11:54 AM   #1725
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finished the campaign in Modern Warfare - enjoyed it a good deal. It acts as a nice reboot for the Modern Warfare franchise from a narrative perspective. I hope they have something similar planned for the Black Ops series, as I'd love to cycle back with some of the characters from that series and see it approached with more cohesion from a world building/narrative side of things.

If they can go to a 3 year development cycle with:

Modern Warfare
Black Ops
World at War

with it being one cohesive "world", with each franchise telling proper stories they'd really have a neat world of action games on their hands.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 01:16 PM   #1726
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I finished the campaign in Modern Warfare - enjoyed it a good deal. It acts as a nice reboot for the Modern Warfare franchise from a narrative perspective. I hope they have something similar planned for the Black Ops series, as I'd love to cycle back with some of the characters from that series and see it approached with more cohesion from a world building/narrative side of things.

If they can go to a 3 year development cycle with:

Modern Warfare
Black Ops
World at War

with it being one cohesive "world", with each franchise telling proper stories they'd really have a neat world of action games on their hands.

I haven't played very far but it was awesome when
Spoiler!
Old 11-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #1727
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So excited for Red Dead on PC. The minute I started on PS4 I knew it was a game that needed mouse and keyboard controls to get the most from, and I can't wait to see that game in gorgeous 1440p 144hz.

Just need some self control to force myself to wait an extra month for the steam version though
And go figure, that self control lasted 6 hours before I broke down and bought it anyway. Bought it on the Rockstar Launcher though, because #### Epic
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2019, 02:29 PM   #1728
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
And go figure, that self control lasted 6 hours before I broke down and bought it anyway. Bought it on the Rockstar Launcher though, because #### Epic
Have you had any issues with it working? I'm at work and have seen a lot of complaints online that the Rockstar Launcher isn't working

I bought it on the Rockstar Launcher and I have in pre-loaded, hopefully it works for me
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 02:34 PM   #1729
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
Have you had any issues with it working? I'm at work and have seen a lot of complaints online that the Rockstar Launcher isn't working

I bought it on the Rockstar Launcher and I have in pre-loaded, hopefully it works for me
Still downloading for me, but the first thing that pops up on the rockstar launcher is a link to a faq about crashes. Didn't take that as a good sign haha.

Download is almost done so I'll report back
Old 11-05-2019, 03:11 PM   #1730
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bought it on the Rockstar Launcher though, because #### Epic
Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:18 PM   #1731
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you are going to buy it on rockstar greenman gaming has an 8% discount code and it redeems the game on rockstar client.
Old 11-05-2019, 03:21 PM   #1732
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
If you are going to buy it on rockstar greenman gaming has an 8% discount code and it redeems the game on rockstar client.
Hm I thought I checked there and it was for the epic launcher. I know the Humble store was epic, maybe I just assumed greenman was too
Old 11-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #1733
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Still downloading for me, but the first thing that pops up on the rockstar launcher is a link to a faq about crashes. Didn't take that as a good sign haha.

I was going to wait until it was on Steam but I caved and bought it from Rockstar. I remember when GTA V came out for PC it took hours to download. I'm sure RDR2 will be the same.

I had to run the launcher as admin to get it to install. Same thing with GTA V.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 03:55 PM   #1734
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

112gb. Took me 5 hours. Should have just bought it last night and downloaded overnight
Old 11-05-2019, 04:39 PM   #1735
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly wondering what I could run it at with a 1660ti. Maybe 1080p at high or very high?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 04:56 PM   #1736
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Honestly wondering what I could run it at with a 1660ti. Maybe 1080p at high or very high?
Yeah I imagine high at 1080p would be pretty doable and stable. A friend of mine has a 1070 and has it down on medium but that's at 1440p
Old 11-05-2019, 05:02 PM   #1737
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

D3 really lacked in the storyline compared to D2, the plot was crazy predictable (who would have thought the emperor boy was the lord of lies).

With Lilith playing a very minor role in D2 I'm hoping they have some strong backstory for her. If they plan on MTXing the game like they did with D3 originally and have a weak story it might be worth skipping.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 05:09 PM   #1738
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post

Quote:

So it did take a few attempts to get working. Had to download the updated graphics drivers that came out this morning, but also needed to disable my anti virus
Old 11-05-2019, 06:46 PM   #1739
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

The load times alone make RDR2 on PC worth it. By the time the second "photo" changes it's done.

I've benchmarked a tick above "balanced" to average 60fps at 1440p. I'll live with that until I upgrade in the spring.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 07:35 PM   #1740
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah load times are way way better on PC especially w/ an SSD. I really think there were too many controls for a console controller as well, it's pretty well suited to mouse and keyboard