Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #21
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
I know we have probably had this discussion before, but VPN being 3 characters doesn't show up in the search.
FYI, you can always use google. Search for "vpn site:forum.calgarypuck.com" without the quotes.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 02:11 PM   #22
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Does Nord give you a proxy included with the VPN service? That's the main reason I went with PIA, as I like to put one browser on a proxy instead of my whole system on a VPN
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 03:42 PM   #23
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

PIA has been really great lately. I hear good things about Nord though.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:58 PM   #24
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Does Nord give you a proxy included with the VPN service? That's the main reason I went with PIA, as I like to put one browser on a proxy instead of my whole system on a VPN
Yup. https://nordvpn.com/tutorials/proxy-setup/
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:03 PM   #25
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

I use Witopia. It's great! You can choose your location and they have options like Netflix US Netflix UK.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 10:25 AM   #26
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

My sub to PIA expires in a couple days.
I'm actually going to try Surfshark first, and maybe Nord if not. But I have only very good things to say about PIA so just may re up with them.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 05:13 PM   #27
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I think PIA has actually gotten a lot better the last few months.

I had speed issues, but that seems to have resolved. You want a VPN you can leave on all the time, and PIA is just that.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 07:22 PM   #28
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Ya I was looking at Nord for the better speeds, but after testing PIA now maxes out my 300 Mb connection through the Seattle server. Gonna stick with them
Old 04-28-2019, 11:05 AM   #29
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

About 10 days into my 30 day trial with Surfshark and am very pleased with it. To be clear, 30 day trial means you can cancel the subscription you have purchased any time in the first 30 days for full refund.
Switched from PIA in part because of price but mostly because PIA doesn't offer a server in Greece, which is great for the Greek inlaws. Chose over Nord as new provider simply based on price.
Surfshark is a new service but gets great reviews and passes all leak tests. Speed is very good (where expected to be), have had zero connectivity issues, and the unlimited connections are most welcomed.

So far, so good.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 11:31 AM   #30
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey guys,

So I'm reading great things on this thread about Nord especially. But question:

I'm looking to be able to watch Netflix/Amazon/Disney+ to make it look like I'm in the US and additionally I've noticed previously when I'm on VPN on my computer my Chromecast will now allow me to cast to my TV.

Are there any options (and/or how-to guides) as to what service I can use that will allow me to make it look like I'm in the US for those services AND additionally chromecast from my computer to my TV while I'm still physically in Canada.

Another pro would be if I can do all of the above in addition to my computer also via my phone/mobile device too and use the native apps (Netflix App, Amazon Prime and Disney+ App on my phone) and look like I'm in the US and chromecast via the app itself to my TV here while I physically sit in Canada.

Let me know if anyone has any thought/recommendations on this, thanks!
flamesrule_kipper34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 02:26 PM   #31
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Hey guys,

So I'm reading great things on this thread about Nord especially. But question:

I'm looking to be able to watch Netflix/Amazon/Disney+ to make it look like I'm in the US and additionally I've noticed previously when I'm on VPN on my computer my Chromecast will now allow me to cast to my TV.

Are there any options (and/or how-to guides) as to what service I can use that will allow me to make it look like I'm in the US for those services AND additionally chromecast from my computer to my TV while I'm still physically in Canada.

Another pro would be if I can do all of the above in addition to my computer also via my phone/mobile device too and use the native apps (Netflix App, Amazon Prime and Disney+ App on my phone) and look like I'm in the US and chromecast via the app itself to my TV here while I physically sit in Canada.

Let me know if anyone has any thought/recommendations on this, thanks!
If you want guaranteed access to US streaming services, the only way is through a VPN provider that can also give you a personal static IP. Every standard VPN service has a pool of IP addresses that get handed out to their users when they connect, and Netflix/other streaming companies routinely block those addresses when they detect that they're being used by VPNs. With a dedicated IP, the only one using it is you so to Netflix and others you look like any normal user in the US

I just went through this myself with getting Hulu to work on my Shield. I already had a VPN through Private Internet Access and it worked for a while, but then it stopped so I had to shop around. Gave TorGuard a try for a month with a dedicated IP and it worked flawlessly. I was going to renew for one of their yearly plans but found out that PIA is working again, and my subscription is still good until August next year, so I'll keep using it until it stops again
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 02:31 PM   #32
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you want guaranteed access to US streaming services, the only way is through a VPN provider that can also give you a personal static IP. Every standard VPN service has a pool of IP addresses that get handed out to their users when they connect, and Netflix/other streaming companies routinely block those addresses when they detect that they're being used by VPNs. With a dedicated IP, the only one using it is you so to Netflix and others you look like any normal user in the US

I just went through this myself with getting Hulu to work on my Shield. I already had a VPN through Private Internet Access and it worked for a while, but then it stopped so I had to shop around. Gave TorGuard a try for a month with a dedicated IP and it worked flawlessly. I was going to renew for one of their yearly plans but found out that PIA is working again, and my subscription is still good until August next year, so I'll keep using it until it stops again
Thanks for that HC.

Will something like TorGuard (or whichever service provides a static/dedicated IP) also work for accessing via mobile phone?

Also if I use it will I still be able to cast via my laptop/mobile device to my TV via a Chromecast?

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 11-15-2019, 02:36 PM   #33
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule_kipper34 View Post
Thanks for that HC.

Will something like TorGuard (or whichever service provides a static/dedicated IP) also work for accessing via mobile phone?

Also if I use it will I still be able to cast via my laptop/mobile device to my TV via a Chromecast?

Thanks.

TorGuard has apps for Android and iOS, as does every other major VPN provider. As for Chromecast, the only way to get it to work would be to setup the VPN at the router level, which means ALL internet traffic for any device in your house would be through a VPN which could cause problems for anything that relies on a Canadian IP address
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2019, 02:39 PM   #34
flamesrule_kipper34
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
TorGuard has apps for Android and iOS, as does every other major VPN provider. As for Chromecast, the only way to get it to work would be to setup the VPN at the router level, which means ALL internet traffic for any device in your house would be through a VPN which could cause problems for anything that relies on a Canadian IP address
Again thanks!

I was also curious because I read something about virtual VPN which wouldn't be at the router level but I'll do some more research on that side, casting is secondary to being able to view the content on my laptop and phone.