Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-14-2020, 10:57 AM   #41
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Maybe it would be a good idea to actually wear a mouth guard as designed as a concussion prevention device. Not likely going to happen but the insurance implication to Tkachuk/Flames/NHLPA on a insurable event.

How does Brodie lose a tooth with a mouth guard in place?
Ask that to 75% of players in the NHL who are missing teeth. It's almost like mouth guards don't prevent you from losing teeth!
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:03 AM   #42
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

The spear is really dirty. Players play long careers and manage to never spear someone.

Just like a high stick, you have to be responsible for what your stick does.

Not sure what the rules are in regards to going back and looking at it, but to me that is about as low-down of a hockey play as you can get.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:37 AM   #43
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can't stand hockey media. No one called that a spear on tv last night. No one is talking about it today. Tkachuk hits Kassian with three clean bodychecks and he punches him in the back of the head, and the hockey analyst brain trust goes on ad nauseum how Tkachuk violated the code by not answering the bell. Lucic ought to be challenging Benn to a fight from the get-go tonight.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Fan in Exile For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 11:39 AM   #44
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
Can't stand hockey media. No one called that a spear on tv last night. No one is talking about it today. Tkachuk hits Kassian with three clean bodychecks and he punches him in the back of the head, and the hockey analyst brain trust goes on ad nauseum how Tkachuk violated the code by not answering the bell. Lucic ought to be challenging Benn to a fight from the get-go tonight.
Damn rights. Benn needs to answer for that play. If there is any “code” then this is clearly what needs to happen.
Doctorfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doctorfever For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 11:48 AM   #45
mrchristy31
Draft Pick

Default Bennett on top line?

Although I think Sam was okay on the top line last night, I just don't see a good fit. The few plays he made, he got away from the game that has been succesfull up until this point...........which is 3rd line chip and bang hockey. He was looking to Johnny every time he had the puck, and multiple times, trying to force a pass through multiple sticks to a covered Gaudreau instead of getting the puck deep and pounding them.

With that being said, I wouldn't be opposed to another shot, but would like to see Monahan drop down to 3rd line with Lucic and Dube and have Bennett flanking Lindholm and Gaudreau
mrchristy31 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrchristy31 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 12:38 PM   #46
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Keep your discipline, But the Flames need to up the physical play big time. The Stars were pushing them around last night.

If you want to get back at Benn, then hit him hard clean and nasty until he's hearing footsteps. Take away the initiative force the Stars defense into chasing the puck and blast them.

This series is going to be a neutral zone slog, so dump and chase use your speed, take that extra hit stride.
Seriously though. Will benn even notice the hit if it doesn’t come from lucic?
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:43 PM   #47
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
I agree. However lucic needs to win that scrap. If benn takes him down the flames will likely crumple.

Hence might be more prudent to have this fight later in the game if we are already losing.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:51 PM   #48
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Has there been an update on his status yet?

I don't see how they can let him play tonight. That's just brutal getting hit by Benn and Oleksiak at the same time, one square in the back at that. Tkachuk did turn, so I don't really blame Been for finishing his check, but talk about a perfect storm.
Old 08-14-2020, 01:00 PM   #49
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VilleN View Post
Ask that to 75% of players in the NHL who are missing teeth. It's almost like mouth guards don't prevent you from losing teeth!
From a small impact they help, but from a large impact sometimes they are worse because you end up losing more than just one tooth.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:09 PM   #50
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Has there been an update on his status yet?

I don't see how they can let him play tonight. That's just brutal getting hit by Benn and Oleksiak at the same time, one square in the back at that. Tkachuk did turn, so I don't really blame Been for finishing his check, but talk about a perfect storm.
I doubt we hear anything until pregame warmup when he doesn't come out and is listed unfit to play. They're not giving the Stars any info early.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:11 PM   #51
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Why are we not hearing that the Calgary Flames are looking for a suspension on Jamie Benn?

Are they just going to go down quietly as per usual?

Any other team would be demanding a suspension on Benn for his spear, as mandated in NHL rules.

It's bad enough that he didn't get a major and a game suspension when the incident occurred.

Last edited by Brick; 08-14-2020 at 01:13 PM.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #52
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick View Post
Why are we not hearing that the Calgary Flames are looking for a suspension on Jamie Benn? Are they just going to go down quietly as per usual?
They better have approached the league about it. Easily the dirtiest play of the playoffs so far.

And if the league does nothing, the game will get ugly tonight. And of course, who will the refs punish for that?

The correct response is to take Benn out of the game, but hoping for the correct response from the league is pretty much pointless.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:14 PM   #53
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Damn rights. Benn needs to answer for that play. If there is any “code” then this is clearly what needs to happen.
This isn't the first time he's low blowed someone either. It's Kadri but the point still stands.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #54
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tweeted at player safety:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1294351154462113792
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #55
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

AC posted a Pat Steinberg tweet in the gameday thread that Tkachuk will be a game-time decision according to Ward.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:30 PM   #56
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno View Post
This isn't the first time he's low blowed someone either. It's Kadri but the point still stands.

Benn is a dirty player and the NHL chooses to look the other way. Different rules for certain players and teams. Where is the Flames management outcry on this same dirty play on Tkachuk? Why is the media downplaying it?
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:34 PM   #57
schteve_d
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't know, honestly the play was very different than the Kadri video posted. I'm no Benn defender by any means, but I think it was just a battle that went bad. He braced for contact and his stick came up. I really don't think the intent was there. Now, you do need to be responsible for your stick, a la high sticking, so maybe a minor, but I think the calls for a major, and especially for a suspension, are a little over the top.

The Benn hit that has Tkachuk potentially out tonight there was nothing wrong with either. Let's not go full Oiler and "poor me, the league is against us". Stuff happens and people get hurt. Benn can be dirty for sure, but I just don't think that's a good example of it.
schteve_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 01:43 PM   #58
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I am not certain Benn intended to spear Chucky - although his reputation indicates he may very well have - I thought players had to be in control of their stick. Maybe not intent to injure, but for sure spearing. You can't let him get away with that. Doesn't surprise me at all though. Refereeing in both hubs has been truly confusing and inconsistent.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 02:02 PM   #59
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The spear was accidentally on purpose. It's not a coincidence that it was on Tkachuk the same way it's not a coincidence when Perry falls down and winds up laying on top of your goaltender.

That said, if Tkachuk is out tonight it's likely due to a concussion -- he clearly had his bell rung and had trouble getting off the ice. A sore groan won't keep him out of a playoff game, but concussion symptoms will.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2020, 02:11 PM   #60
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sure how to rip a video from Reddit, but here is a post with the video:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockey/comm...nt_tkachuk_to/

It's hard to "prove" intent, but I have a hard time believing Benn did that by accident.

I sure hope Treliving is talking to the league about it. I have to believe that he is.