Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #1021
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

And by the way, that Seiko Kinetic is not a true automatic movement is it?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:34 AM   #1022
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Another great dive watch for consider in the $300 range are the Orient Mako XL series. Great reviews and following online. Alot of watch for the money. Thinking of adding the green bezel one to my collection.

http://orientwatchusa.com/fem75003bw
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 11:05 AM   #1023
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
And by the way, that Seiko Kinetic is not a true automatic movement is it?
No.

It's cool, but not an auto. There is a rotor inside the watch, similar to what you find in an auto, but it spins a little generator and charges the battery. In a lot of ways, it is actually cooler, but you will not get the sweeping movement you get in an auto. It still ticks. That being said I have two od these, Seiko SKA371 BFK (big f***ing kinetic) and they are built like tanks, and have amazing fit and finish. There is a thread online where a guy frezzes his in a block of ice, boils it, smashes it etc... and it still keeps perfect time.

You can find them on amazon for +/- $300 sometimes.

pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 03:39 PM   #1024
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Macy's sells a ton of the Kinetic ones, but I want mine to be a true automatic.

Half the fun of owning a watch is doing the research on watches and finding great value. For me it is anyway.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:09 AM   #1025
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hey all, so I have two Skagen watches I really like and wear all the time...

I am in the market for a new watch, casual, on the cheap end of the scale, that I can wear in any given casual scenario. I posted the ones that I have cause that's the style I tend to favour most. Do any of you have suggestions for a new guy to the collection?
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 11:04 AM   #1026
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why not another Skagen? Good price point and you seem to like the style and probably profile too.

Perhaps another one like the one to the left, but in a brown band instead?

Or were you looking towards a chronograph style watch of another brand or something?

What is your budget because going up to mid $200 might land you in some territories or lower end Citizen and Seiko (depends if you can find it) and I'm sure there's also some lower end Bulova, Fossil and a mishmash of other random brands within about a $150-250 budget.

http://www.amazon.ca/Orient-ER27006B...atches+for+men

I even found this interesting little guy on Amazon if you want to play with an automatic.

Hop on Amazon.ca and take a look in the mens watch section and see if there's some ideas there. I would however consider staying away from Stuhrling and Invicta though.

Also, by casual, do you mean like a business casual dress watch? or something else?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #1027
HOWITZER
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Why not another Skagen? Good price point and you seem to like the style and probably profile too.
I would absolutely consider another Skagen. They have treated me quite well so far and I am totally satisfied.

Quote:
Perhaps another one like the one to the left, but in a brown band instead?
Brown was exactly what I was thinking haha. Wanted to kinda close off the loop so that I had a watch that I could wear with anything really.

Quote:
What is your budget because going up to mid $200 might land you in some territories or lower end Citizen and Seiko
I'd say yes that is right in my range. I was hoping you guys could maybe steer me in the direction of a couple brands/styles I have probably never heard of/considered.

Quote:
I even found this interesting little guy on Amazon if you want to play with an automatic.
Pretty much what I just said. That right there is a nice watch and something I would wear if I didn't already have the one Skagen.

Quote:
Hop on Amazon.ca and take a look in the mens watch section and see if there's some ideas there. I would however consider staying away from Stuhrling and Invicta though.
I avoid them like the Plague. Even online they look like knock-offs.

Quote:
Also, by casual, do you mean like a business casual dress watch? or something else?
Business casual/can be worn with a pair of jeans and a T-shirt (if there exists such a thing).

Thanks for the feedback!
HOWITZER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 08:58 AM   #1028
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOWITZER View Post

I am in the market for a new watch, casual, on the cheap end of the scale, that I can wear in any given casual scenario. I posted the ones that I have cause that's the style I tend to favour most. Do any of you have suggestions for a new guy to the collection?

Sounds like you've got a solid recommendation but I'll plant a little seed if you wanted to spend a little more and wanted something a off the beaten path.

My friend bought one of these watches -ETA movement and assembled/designed in Germany.
http://www.archimede-watches.com

Like most things, it looks way better in person than online. I believe there is an authorized reseller out of Vancouver that sells it less than MSRP.

Good luck with your next watch purchase.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bean For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2015, 12:37 AM   #1029
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I took a look on a few sites and really didn't stumble on anything that seems to be able to dethrone the Skagen for the style you seem to want.

Likely there are other watches, but they might not be as thin and light as the Skagen.

http://www.amazon.ca/Citizen-Mens-BM...=citizen+brown

http://www.amazon.ca/Orient-FER2A005...utomatic+brown

http://www.amazon.ca/Citizen-AW1361-...=citizen+brown

The automatic will be fun to have, but might be a bit heavier. Powered by motion. The Citizen ecodrives might be sort of cool to have. Powered by solar.

Hopping on Amazon.ca and going in the watch section and searching Seiko brown or Citizen Brown or whatever other brands + brown might yield a few more interesting results.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2015, 12:47 AM   #1030
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey everyone, I've had my eye on a Braun watch for a few years now. I don't know why, I just like it some how.

http://www.amazon.ca/Braun-BN0035BKB...keywords=braun

Anyone know why it's so pricey for these analog watches?

http://www.amazon.ca/Braun-BN0142BKB...ds=braun+brown

But I don't know why I am so damn mesmerized by this watch.

One day maybe... But quite a few other watches I'll spontaneously buy before this one.

Last edited by DoubleF; 03-13-2015 at 12:59 AM.
Old 03-13-2015, 09:33 AM   #1031
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Those Baun's are nice, but they aren't a true automatic. I'm still new to watch buying and such, but I've decided if I'm shelling out several hundred I want a true automatic movement.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:06 AM   #1032
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Those Baun's are nice, but they aren't a true automatic. I'm still new to watch buying and such, but I've decided if I'm shelling out several hundred I want a true automatic movement.
I'm pretty sure those Braun are quartz analog.

I understand where you're coming from too. But somehow this watch... whatever it's severely lacking in sexy is making it up in being visually pleasant? Which brings back some sexy?

Now yes, if I were to chase these, at $300-500 a run, why would I do this over a Seiko/Orient/Something Auto?

Anyone want to play devil's advocate and explain to me why I would want a Braun over an auto? Essentially, the question would be the same for someone buying a Movado. Why Analog quartz over auto/kinetic/solar etc.
Old 03-14-2015, 07:51 PM   #1033
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a Skagen alternative, take a look at Bering. I have this one I get lots of comments on.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2015, 10:02 AM   #1034
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well fellas, I decided to take the plunge. It came down to either a Seiko SKX007 or 009, or the Orient Mako.

The winner was....

Orient Mako!

I can't wait till this puppy comes in

I went to a high end shopping mall yesterday and tried on some bretlings, omegas & rolex's, and said to myself one day I'll get to that point. I'm going to start out my collection with the Orient and see where the journey leads.

I enjoy researching and searching for watches, it is a fun hobby. Plus my wife is on board with me looking sophisticated, so there's that too
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2015, 11:25 AM   #1035
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well fellas, I decided to take the plunge. It came down to either a Seiko SKX007 or 009, or the Orient Mako.

The winner was....

Orient Mako!

I can't wait till this puppy comes in

I went to a high end shopping mall yesterday and tried on some bretlings, omegas & rolex's, and said to myself one day I'll get to that point. I'm going to start out my collection with the Orient and see where the journey leads.

I enjoy researching and searching for watches, it is a fun hobby. Plus my wife is on board with me looking sophisticated, so there's that too

I am on a similar mission. Is there anywhere in Calgary to buy either of the above watches? I've searched online and I can't seem to figure out where I could find them here in town.

Also, I'll be in Vegas in May. Anyone have any places they recommend to go to while I'm there to check out watches?
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:47 AM   #1036
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought this one online from http://orientwatchusa.com/, and I do believe they ship to Canada.

Vegas is a good idea since you'll pay less sales tax. However, I would recommend hitting one of the outlet malls (north end tends to be better for some reason). Sometimes you need to be careful of outlet malls though because sometimes they sell lower quality brands than at their regular stores.

Shopping the Vegas strip is nice if you have a lot of money. They have Breitling, Rolex, Omega stores, etc. Tons of Italian brand name stores too. I never really compared pricing there since I wasn't in the mood to drop 8 or 9k on a whim. Mandalay Bay has a decent watch store, and some pieces for less than 2k.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:05 PM   #1037
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Shopping the Vegas strip is nice if you have a lot of money. They have Breitling, Rolex, Omega stores, etc. Tons of Italian brand name stores too. I never really compared pricing there since I wasn't in the mood to drop 8 or 9k on a whim. Mandalay Bay has a decent watch store, and some pieces for less than 2k.
if you're going to buy an expensive watch, I recommend buying it locally. If anything comes up with the watch, you can go back to your dealer and they will help you sort it out. In my opinion, that is worth the extra money that you would have saved in the US.
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bomber317 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #1038
Doodlebug
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
I bought this one online from http://orientwatchusa.com/, and I do believe they ship to Canada.

Vegas is a good idea since you'll pay less sales tax. However, I would recommend hitting one of the outlet malls (north end tends to be better for some reason). Sometimes you need to be careful of outlet malls though because sometimes they sell lower quality brands than at their regular stores.

Congrats on the Mako purchase. As an owner of the yellow mako, it is a solid watch.
Doodlebug is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Doodlebug For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #1039
Red
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomber317 View Post
if you're going to buy an expensive watch, I recommend buying it locally. If anything comes up with the watch, you can go back to your dealer and they will help you sort it out. In my opinion, that is worth the extra money that you would have saved in the US.
Expensive watches have international warranties. No need to buy locally.
Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:44 PM   #1040
bomber317
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red View Post
Expensive watches have international warranties. No need to buy locally.
Sorry, I should clarify. Yes there are international warranties. Having somebody to go to locally for help is a benefit.

Obviously this is weighed with how much you save internationally. If you save over 20%+ all-in, then perhaps having help locally isn't worth the savings there.

Don't forgot to calculated your savings by including the exchange/customs costs with the watch. You don't want to be this guy.. or maybe you do since he was able to afford that watch and probably the fine? - http://www.canada.com/story.html?id=...2-f9c1a709972a
bomber317 is offline   Reply With Quote