Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2018, 09:58 AM   #41
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Absolutely. The only issues I had with him last night are ones prevalent with all D under this staff.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #42
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought he looked pretty good. His outlet passes were good and maybe it's because he's trying to put on a good impression on the coaches he was really trying hard in his own end to ensure that he was covering his assignment rather than just following the puck and reacting. It's only one game and he's still probably going to have some tough nights but he looks as ready as I have seen from a Flames defenseman prospect in a long time.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-20-2018 at 10:07 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:05 AM   #43
MikePatton
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Wait... he shoots right. Was he actually played on the left side?
MikePatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:27 AM   #44
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePatton View Post
Wait... he shoots right. Was he actually played on the left side?
Stone played the left side, Andersson took his right side spot on the third pairing beside Kulak
Old 03-20-2018, 10:42 AM   #45
Kovaz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Thought he looked a little tentative and not particularly fast, but I like the way he moves the puck and thought he read the play in his own zone well.

I'd like to see him get a long look because I could easily see him being the PPQB we're sorely missing. Plus with Kulak now being pretty established as a regular we're not trying to break in two rookies at the same time.

If you look at what the Capitals do on the PP, IMO we could basically copy that as long as we find a RHD that can QB from the blueline, and Andersson could be that guy.

Hamilton in Ovechkin's spot as the primary off-wing shooter.
Monahan in Oshie's spot as the bump-back guy.
Tkachuk in Kuznetsov's spot below the goal line/going to the net when Hamilton has the puck.
Gaudreau in Backstrom's spot on the right half-wall.
Andersson in Carlson's spot as the point-man playing catch with Gaudreau and feeding Hamilton one-timers.

Obviously Hamilton's no Ovechkin, but IMO we can build a powerplay around setting up open looks for Dougie on his off-wing.
Kovaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kovaz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 11:02 AM   #46
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was one series I remember towards the end of the first or early second. Play was in the offensive end and the puck came out halfway between the circle and blue line. One of those classic opportunities where a Dman could pinch or stay back. His D partner had already pinched and Andersson decided not to go for the puck and instead kept his position. Coyotes got the puck out of the end but he was in position and it ended in a nothing play. Puck comes back to the neutral zone, Andersson has the puck, has a gap and brings the puck in fairly deep into the zone. He recognized he had help behind him and could push the puck in the zone.

I thought that was a good sequence for a young player. To me it showed he was thinking at a fast enough pace and/or has good situational instincts.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 11:36 AM   #47
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
Absolutely. The only issues I had with him last night are ones prevalent with all D under this staff.
He seems to know what to do with the puck but his lack of footspeed was noticeable.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 12:15 PM   #48
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He’s also a pending ufa so not much reason to give him a look
Sure there is. I'd rather have Wotherspoon, who by all accounts has had an excellent season, on the roster as the 7th d next year than that fake houseplant Bartkowski that can't even fill in for spot duty. He would obviously sign if the team offered him a reasonable deal so the Flames would be wise to give him some action the rest of the way.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-20-2018 at 03:16 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote