Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #121
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

A big part of this hit being as bad as it was could simply have been Brodie's peripheral vision.
I have the theory that Brodie was more effective as a defenseman on the right side as he can see better from right to left than from left to right. On the right side, he would typically have the boards as a barrier and can look right to left. On the opposite side, he may just all out miss things coming from his right-such as Ryan Reeves in this case.

Just a theory but it could explain his long term lack of ability to adjust to playing on the left side.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #122
yourbestfriend
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickazzflames View Post
Reeves came flying in, clearly doing some headhunting. It's as close to a charge as you can be without it being called. That's a brutal position to be in for Brodie. Just coming from behind the net and picking the puck up for that split second left him completely vulnerable. Hope the damage wasn't too severe.
Pretty much this, at worst it's a borderline charge. I'll give props to Reaves for keeping his arms tucked and elbows down, and not going for the head. The hit seemed like body on body contact.

It's hard to give Reaves #### and not feel like a hypocrite when Ferland was pretty much doing the exact same thing to the Canucks a few years ago. Just have to hope that Brodie is ok.
yourbestfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yourbestfriend For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #123
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

F1 is a dangerous sport.
MMA is a dangerous sport.
Boxing is a dangerous sport.
Lacrosse is a dangerous sport.
Football is a dangerous sport.

At some point, you have to simply say: "this is hockey" and stop trying to change the game. There are a multitude of other sports that you can watch that are not physical and/or dangerous. Just watch basketball - still physical, but nothing crazy. Too violent? Baseball... other than the bench clearing brawls. Soccer. Ringette. Get into figure skating/ice dance - nothing wrong with those, and in fact, I quite enjoy watching it without any shame as a man - tonnes of skill and absolutely mesmerizing talent from both men and women.

Hockey is hockey. It is becoming this sterile, unemotional and quite often 'boring' pastime. The more physicality you remove, the more sterile the product becomes IMO. Sure, they need to keep working on things to help prevent injuries, but this is hockey and not soccer. There is a plethora of other sports to get into. Why try and change the game into shinny?

Nothing wrong with that hit. It changed momentum. It gave Vegas a lift. It was emotional. I love Brodie - probably more than most on this board - and I hated to see him get hurt. This is hockey, however.

At some point you draw the line. Players are getting hurt? No physical play. Puck is too hard and hurts too many players? Rubber ball it is. Sticks too hard? Plastic sticks. Too many players getting cut by skates? Ice cleats. Players slipping on the ice and getting hurt? Remove the ice and play on grass.

Sure, those examples are a bit tongue-in-cheek, but the point is illustrated. Keep changing the game so much, and you are not left with hockey. You are left with something else.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 11:09 AM   #124
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

https://streamable.com/amp_player/1dbrc

He's floating at the top of the circle and takes two quick strides as he sees where the play is going, he was likely going to crush Brodie into the boards as Brodie went wide.

Brodie cuts up ice quick while looking back at the puck, and Reaves takes a 3rd stride to adjust at the hashmarks...

I cant believe there are 7 pages arguing this hit. It was a clean hit. Hitting is allowed. If you want to start a conversation on the legality of open ice hitting start a new thread, I understand that argument. But this was a clean hit under today's rules.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 03-19-2018 at 11:12 AM. Reason: Terrible typing.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 AM   #125
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

hit McDavid like that and see what happens...I think the issue is consistency

Flames have been penalized for hits like that, see Glass a few weeks back
Old 03-19-2018, 11:25 AM   #126
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Which is 15-20 feet.
Just watched it again. His last stride is at the bottom of the faceoff circle, roughly parallel to the top of the crease.

Anyway, I think based on penalties I've seen called this year it could've gone either way, but that doesn't make it less of a charge in my mind, just the ####ty officiating standard in the NHL.

Link
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 03:28 PM   #127
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
F1 is a dangerous sport.
MMA is a dangerous sport.
Boxing is a dangerous sport.
Lacrosse is a dangerous sport.
Football is a dangerous sport.

Lacrosse has already evolved more than hockey. You rarely see huge hits and fighting has all but been eliminated.
The other sports will need to find a way to evolve or die. There is already concern about the long-term future of football.
With what we now know about head injuries, you can't simply dismiss the need to change by saying that sports are risky.
I realize I'm in the minority in these views but I firmly agree that this is where sports will need to go.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 03:59 PM   #128
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Lacrosse has already evolved more than hockey. You rarely see huge hits and fighting has all but been eliminated.
The other sports will need to find a way to evolve or die. There is already concern about the long-term future of football.
With what we now know about head injuries, you can't simply dismiss the need to change by saying that sports are risky.
I realize I'm in the minority in these views but I firmly agree that this is where sports will need to go.
You just described hockey BTW.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 04:02 PM   #129
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
...? 2017 Highlights

Way more sturdy than on skates = more brutal fighting in my opinion.

As for huge hits, you're moving around at 1/4 speed as you would be on skates.

I can see you feel strongly about your point and that's good, but this just sounds like nonsense.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:22 PM   #130
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
...? 2017 Highlights

Way more sturdy than on skates = more brutal fighting in my opinion.

As for huge hits, you're moving around at 1/4 speed as you would be on skates.

I can see you feel strongly about your point and that's good, but this just sounds like nonsense.
Based on this reply I actually wanted to check this

This season there has been 10 NLL fights in 56 games, for under 0.2 fights per game. This is down from about 0.6 a decade ago

In the NHL there have been 0.27 fights per game. The NHL peak 87/88 at 1.31. And was about 0.44 per game a decade-ish ago.

Source dropyourgloves.com

So both sports have made strides to eliminate fighting.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 04:28 PM   #131
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
https://streamable.com/amp_player/1dbrc

He's floating at the top of the circle and takes two quick strides as he sees where the play is going, he was likely going to crush Brodie into the boards as Brodie went wide.

Brodie cuts up ice quick while looking back at the puck, and Reaves takes a 3rd stride to adjust at the hashmarks...

I cant believe there are 7 pages arguing this hit. It was a clean hit. Hitting is allowed. If you want to start a conversation on the legality of open ice hitting start a new thread, I understand that argument. But this was a clean hit under today's rules.
I think that gif gives the hit a little more context.
The gif on the first page makes it look like Reaves is going much faster, and you can't tell where he started.
Based on this gif, I don't have a huge problem with it.
Brodie needs to be expecting to get hit there. It's just too bad for him it was someone 30lbs heavier.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:39 PM   #132
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't have an issue with the hit. It was hard, but clean. I hope TJ is okay, but that's why he's paid the way he is. It's a pretty big risk, these guys know what they're getting into. They've all clearly decided the pay is worth the risk of injury. There's no need to bubblewrap the game any more than it already is. It's not like headshots are legal.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 04:49 PM   #133
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can’t believe all the people crying about this hit. It’s a risk they take to play the game and make millions. If Ferland steam rolled someone like that we’d all be loving it. It’s unfortunate that Brodie was injured but if that hit bothers you then maybe a sport like Curling is more for you.

And for the people who say concussion issues this and that. I risk way more then concussions for 1/100th the pay these guys make. Won’t see me shedding a tear over here.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote