Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2018, 10:08 AM   #1041
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

lol, apparently SJW needs to be a protected term now. Got to do what it takes to claim that sweet, sweet victimhood status.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:26 PM   #1042
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

So let's step away from this for a moment and reflect on what is a very solid essay broken into a long twitter thread by an acclaimed scholar:

https://twitter.com/user/status/974982251770499075

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 01:34 PM   #1043
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
No more using Eurotrash to describe soccer and techno-loving, tracksuit-wearing dickheads either.
Do you consider calling a black person 'Ghetto Trash' or 'Thug' to be racist?
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:21 PM   #1044
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It’s weird seeing so many people who use words like “SJW” in earnest also complain about how you can’t say “white trash” because it’s racist.
That’s great, as I use neither “SJW” or “snowflake” (unless I am actually talking about snow) in any unironic capacity. I’m solidly on the left side of the political spectrum, and I am quite socially progressive. If anything, we probably agree on far more than we disagree.

And yet, *gasp* I still think it should take significant cognitive dissonance and/or disingenuity to justify that using a racial slur against white people is somehow acceptable because of a definition they made up in their own head (as previously shown to be the case). It is completely baffling to me that it should require this much bellyaching from you and others to stop using the slur.

So if you’re ready to stop being a hypocrite — y’know, that word you enjoy throwing around so much — in trying to somehow justify it, then I’m ready to let it go.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:29 PM   #1045
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
So let's step away from this for a moment and reflect on what is a very solid essay broken into a long twitter thread by an acclaimed scholar:

https://twitter.com/user/status/974982251770499075
Here is his original tweet:

https://twitter.com/user/status/974354394811682816

Is minority white inherently good? If so, why?

Why don't we see a similar trend in Asian countries like Japan, South Korea, and China?

Last edited by Ashasx; 03-17-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:25 PM   #1046
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
lol, apparently SJW needs to be a protected term now. Got to do what it takes to claim that sweet, sweet victimhood status.
No, people that use it in earnest are just stupid people.

Got nothing to do with the target or the word needing protecting, it’s just a hilarious/unintentional reflection on the user.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:44 PM   #1047
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
It is completely baffling to me that it should require this much bellyaching from you and others to stop using the slur.

So if you’re ready to stop being a hypocrite — y’know, that word you enjoy throwing around so much — in trying to somehow justify it, then I’m ready to let it go.
Huh? I’m not bellyaching about some right to use the slur, I don’t care.

I was just enjoying watching a few of “those” types act like the exact thing they complain about and brush off.

I’m all for not using white trash if it’s a racial slur. You just don’t want to be the type of person throwing around SJW, snowflake, and scoffing anytime someone points out racism (unless it’s against whites), you know?

Take a certain type. It’s just funny to watch. You’re all good Torque.
Old 03-17-2018, 06:48 PM   #1048
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

im genuinely curious...when did the term snowflake become some sort of racial slur?

I (and many many others i know) have used it for years as a way to describe those who are far to sensitive.

Does it really have another connotation?
Old 03-17-2018, 06:52 PM   #1049
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
You know, it's possible to dislike SJW's and racial slurs. I'd say 80 per of people dislike both.

But the next time someone on this forum says n*gger, k*ke, or raghead, and then turns around and calls someone out for saying white trash, you have my blessing to call him a hypocrite.
When people start murdering low-income whites in trailer parks because they're "white trash" you can make this correlation. When people start enslaving low-income whites because "white trash" is less than human, you can make this correlation. But that doesn't happen. That has literally never happened. There is some racial connotation to white trash (hence "white") but to make a direct correlation between n*gger and white trash is such a ridiculous amount of reaching that it's honestly painful.

Is it derogatory? Absolutely. Is it insulting? You're damn right it is.
Is it violently hateful? No.

There's a reason that some of these terms need asterisks added before you can use them in a public forum. There are reasons you say "n-word" but you can openly say the phrase "white trash." Both are insulting but "white trash" doesn't qualify as hate speech.

Also your other examples are used to describe literally any black person, any Asian person, any Iraqi person, any Indian person, etc.

White trash refers to a very specific subset of the white population. Again, sure it's insulting, and yes there's racial connotation, but it's just such a dramatically different kind of insult than are the ones you used as examples.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
Neo-Nazis and fascists are not particularly poor or even working class. It's one of those myths that the middle-class and upper classes likes to comfort themselves with. "It's not us, it's those people".

If racism, homophobia and misogyny were particularly lower class problem, they wouldn't be that much of a problem, as power in the society lies mostly elsewhere.
Yes and no. Those lower class people who most certainly hold racist, homophobic, and misogynistic views represent a huge amount of voters in the US. They openly vote against their own economic interests (while claiming economic distress as their reason for voting as they do) because of their heavy grasp on those bigoted view, and as was shown in November 2016, with the way that the electoral college is set up, those voters then have an inordinate amount of power.

Yes, that power concentrates at the top, but their votes keep that power in office.

Last edited by wittynickname; 03-17-2018 at 06:56 PM.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wittynickname For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 07:09 PM   #1050
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
im genuinely curious...when did the term snowflake become some sort of racial slur?

I (and many many others i know) have used it for years as a way to describe those who are far to sensitive.

Does it really have another connotation?
Is it a racial slur? That’d be even funnier.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:16 PM   #1051
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Is it a racial slur? That’d be even funnier.
found some stuff at urban dictionary i had no idea about...essentially it is meant to refer to those who are quite sensitive to just about anything.

Then i read further and started actually laughing....its an equal opportunity insult.

Quote:
Snowflake
A very sensitive person. Someone who is easily hurt or offended by the statements or actions of others.

This has nothing to do with politics. Snowflakes can be liberal or conservative. Whether it is a compliment or an insult is a matter of opinion and depends on the context.

A term used to describe extremist liberals that get offended by every statement and/or belief that doesn't exactly match their own. These individuals think they are just as "unique" as snowflakes, when really their feelings are just as fragile.

Referring to someone, usually the Alt-Right, Yiannopoulos, And Nazi Sympathizers (A.K.A. ARYANS), whose immense white fragility causes a meltdown when confronted with the most minute deviation from orthodox White Supremacy. They often cry bloody murder when expected to give the most modest expression of basic human decency.
I mean...could it be anymore "all over the place"?
Old 03-19-2018, 07:56 PM   #1052
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Is minority white inherently good? If so, why?
Maybe if the majority is some unidentifiable Heinz 52 interracial mutt mix. Although I'm sure people will just find new ways to segregate each other, maybe it will help a bit.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #1053
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

snowflake refers to something that is both delicate and special. Equal opportunity offender.

I would say White Trash is akin to calling someone or something "ghetto" not n*gger.

Cracker on the other hand, that's different.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:15 AM   #1054
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really enjoyed this video. Analysis and breakdown of the many fine people.

Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 12:27 PM   #1055
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Truly stellar reporting from Vice on this video. Skip to ~8 min in for a super cool MIT graphing portion regarding Twitter's political leanings

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:45 PM   #1056
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Related to the video above, prominent racist and twitter troll @Ricky_Vaughn99, who is a friend of Mike Cernovich (pictured above in the youtube vid capture), and named by the MIT Media Lab as one of the top 150 media influencers, has been doxxed.

Trump’s Most Influential White Nationalist Troll Is A Middlebury Grad Who Lives In Manhattan

Twitter troll “Ricky Vaughn” had a bigger influence on the 2016 election than NBC News and the Drudge Report. Here's who he really is.

Quote:
There was no mistaking Ricky Vaughn’s influence. He had tens of thousands of followers, and his talent for blending far-right propaganda with conservative messages on Twitter made him a key disseminator of extremist views to Republican voters and a central figure in the “alt-right” white supremacist movement that attached itself to Trump’s coattails. The MIT Media Lab named him to its list of top 150 influencers on the election, based on news appearances and social media impact. He finished ahead of NBC News, Drudge Report and Stephen Colbert. Mainstream conservatives didn’t know they were retweeting an avowed racist and anti-Semite, but they liked what Ricky Vaughn had to say.

“He did this thing that people connected to organized white nationalism have not been able to do ― walk both sides of the extremist line in the sand,” said Keegan Hankes, a data intelligence expert at the Southern Poverty Law Center.
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b09ef3b2432627
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 02:49 PM   #1057
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And the fallout from Charlottesville continues. Stormfront, which was the web's very first neo-nazi and hate website, is on the verge of collapse. This follows the collapse of the Traditionalist Worker Party last month.

Neo-Nazi website Stormfront close to shutting down as founder’s wife tires of paying hate site’s bills

https://www.rawstory.com/2018/04/neo...e-sites-bills/
Old 05-04-2018, 03:30 PM   #1058
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Well, this is kind of scary.

Ranks of Notorious Hate Group Include Active-Duty Military

Quote:
A Marine took part in the violent assaults in Charlottesville last summer and later bragged about it online with other members of Atomwaffen, an extremist group preparing for a race war. The involvement of current or former service members — often with sophisticated weapons training — in white supremacist groups has long been a concern.
https://www.propublica.org/article/a...-duty-military
Old 05-04-2018, 04:25 PM   #1059
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

That isn't surprising, nor is it uncommon. Hate groups and ethnic gangs have been sending members to the military for years to get training and gain insight into tactics that could possibly be used against them at a later date. Law enforcement has run into instances where their tactical teams have met formidable resistance or even been out flanked because of meeting forces with better training. It's taken right from the Art of War.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 07:56 AM   #1060
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

The organizer for the Charlottesville rally has requested a permit for a White Civil Rights rally in front of the White House in August

https://www.cnn.com/2018/06/20/polit...lly/index.html
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote