Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2018, 05:56 PM   #21
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

For the love of infinite and sweet 9 lb baby Jesus.......get rid of the shootout gimmick and play 3 on 3 until we have a winner winner chicken dinner.

I'd rather watch the coaches have to put on sumo suits for overtime and duke it out at center ice than watch another shootout.

I think every goalie in the league feels this way too.
EVERLAST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 06:16 PM   #22
bigpete
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Offside reviews are garbage. I hate that I can't truly celebrate a goal, because every single time the Flames score I'm worried that there's a chance it could be called off because someone was a toenail offside 30 seconds prior. Ruins the excitement.
bigpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2018, 10:35 PM   #23
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
Kill any review except for goals and let the situation room handle those on their own. They will let the refs know if they are reviewing a questionable goal - otherwise the game continues as normal.

I thought I'd like video review to "get things right", but after seeing multiple sports bring in and continue to expand video review, the more I wish it just went away all together. Ruins the flow of the game and when you can barely tell what happened in HD in slow motion, then it was close enough for the ref to simply make a judgement call. These things will balance out over time and we can just appreciate that humans are making calls and there will be errors.
My issue with it is I'm always wondering "was it offside?" after a goal. Kind of takes away from the excitement of scoring a goal. Trust your officials. I don't care if a guy is a centimeter offside. How often does the Duchene situation happen, once every 20 years? If that?

The NHL got along just fine without offside reviews for what, 97 or 98 years?

Review goals. That's it.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 03:46 AM   #24
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Pretty simple rule that hockey players have had to deal with since pee wee.
While it's true that the rule as written hasn't changed, changing the way a rule is enforced effectively changes the rule.

Players have always played offsides in a certain way, and always had instant feedback if there was any violation (or perceived violation). There was no danger of a team controlling the play in the zone for over a minute after the zone entry, scoring, and then having the goal called back long after the fact.

Also, often, the goal is scored by players who entered the zone on-side and the offside player contributed nothing to the actual play that ended up in the goal. Those players usually have no idea that their teammate may have been offside. I would guess that in most cases, the offending player didn't even know he was offside.

Because lower levels don't have the same replay resources available that the NHL has, offsides aren't even challengeable at any level below the NHL. It's not something we can say players should have adjusted to before making it to the NHL because it's something they don't even encounter before the NHL. Even the AHL doesn't have Coach's Challenges on offsides yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Carnage View Post
Not to mention, having people hang their skates over the line at thigh level to stay onsite increases the risk of being cut.
I can't see that being a huge problem because it would throw a player off-balance so much that any advantage gained by being deeper in the zone would be offset by needing to recover his form before actually proceeding into the zone.

Also, if that's the only argument against making the change, then change the rule so that, for the purpose of determining offsides, a player's "body" ends at the knee (or the bottom of his pant leg for easy observation). You can make the rule that a player is on-side if any part of his "body" (excluding the lower leg) is breaking the plane of the blue line when the puck enters the zone. That way, there's absolutely no advantage to sticking your foot in the air.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:53 AM   #25
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Dang.. I wanted reviewed offsides either gone or put a time limit on how long it can have for the effected play. 20-30 seconds later of intense pressure and a goal just to have it called back is the most deflating thing for the players and the fans.

It seems ridiculous to have a goal taken away from a review of mere inches when the goal happened much later.

Just go back to the human element of it. If the linesman misses the offside, he missed the offside.
Kickazzflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:17 AM   #26
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the review offside rule if it's used properly.

I remember a lot of times a great scoring chance was negated by a linesman calling the play offside, when it wasn't even offside (after seeing a replay). This way they can let the close calls go and if they made the wrong call it gets called back.

Can't please everyone, but I like this rule, if the linesman let the close plays go. Speeds up the game (on average) as well.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 10:42 AM   #27
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EVERLAST View Post
For the love of infinite and sweet 9 lb baby Jesus.......get rid of the shootout gimmick and play 3 on 3 until we have a winner winner chicken dinner.

I'd rather watch the coaches have to put on sumo suits for overtime and duke it out at center ice than watch another shootout.

I think every goalie in the league feels this way too.
NHLPA will never agree to it. And as much as people seem to complain about the shootout very few fans leave after OT but before the shootout which indicates most people are okay with it, or at least get some entertainment value from watching. And that's the bottom line for the league.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #28
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would let anything be reviewable (including penalties - maybe a few exceptions if I really thought about it), but there is a 60 second timer to make a decision. If not a conclusive decision, the call on the ice stands. Coach initiated challenges for everything except goals - 2 min penalty if wrong. All goals reviewed/initiated by Ops.

Make it 90 seconds in the last 5 mins of a game or OT (and 90 seconds anytime in the playoffs, 2 mins under 5:00 and OT).

I would also like to see a rule changed to "the stick can only be used for the purpose of playing the puck or an opponents stick". Gets rid of any grey on slashing, etc. Stick contact with any part of the body above the skate is a penalty - the players will adapt quickly.

On offsides: the goal must have been scored within ten seconds of the 'offside'. I'd also consider something around a review is only possible until the defending team has touched the puck (but i think I prefer 10 seconds).

Why does a goal 4 seconds after a terrible icing call count, when one after 92 seconds of sustained offensive pressure not?
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 02:17 PM   #29
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd keep it with the refs, but change the standard to something like "clear and egregious error". If you need frame by frame or super slow motion to see whether the call was correct or not, then the call is deemed to be correct. The referee only overturns a call when he looks at the replay and says to himself, "oh, I thought X happened, but clearly the video shows that I was mistaken, and if I'd seen it the way the video shows it, I absolutely wouldn't have made the call I made". That should be the standard.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:30 PM   #30
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
NHLPA will never agree to it. And as much as people seem to complain about the shootout very few fans leave after OT but before the shootout which indicates most people are okay with it, or at least get some entertainment value from watching. And that's the bottom line for the league.
I often watch shootouts to see which team eventually gains the additional point in a game, but that does not mean I find them remotely entertaining. They are extremely boring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote