Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:10 PM   #5021
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Maybe this team needs some alternative motivation:

We'll build you an arena with 75% tax payer funds, if you make the playoffs for the next 3 consecutive years. If successful, arena funds would be approved in spring 2021.
If we're going to base the arena on playoff success the Flames will be playing out of Fairview Arena.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Scary Eloranta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 05:16 AM   #5022
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What pisses me off is all during the boom times , Calgary erected a ton of nice shining empty office towers while sporting amenties were completely ignored . We have a 58 yearold foortball stadium which is the joke of the CFL While cities like Winnipeg and Regina managed to build new facilities , we have a 34 year old rink and Calgary is the 4th largest city in Canada
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flamenfame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #5023
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenfame View Post
What pisses me off is all during the boom times , Calgary erected a ton of nice shining empty office towers while sporting amenties were completely ignored . We have a 58 yearold foortball stadium which is the joke of the CFL While cities like Winnipeg and Regina managed to build new facilities , we have a 34 year old rink and Calgary is the 4th largest city in Canada
I hope the irony isn't lost on you that private enterprises built those office towers
Old 03-20-2018, 10:16 AM   #5024
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler View Post
I hope the irony isn't lost on you that private enterprises built those office towers
And with this sentiment begs the question; why wasn't CSEC saving up for an arena for the last decade (at least...)
That's quite a bit of boom time in the city, and the flames were in the upper echelons of league earners during those times.
Yet, it should be all on the taxpayers!

Does anyone know what icetimes around the city are like? If the flames want the city to build the arena, then minor sports should get first dibs at booking ice times if the flames can work around then maybe we can pitch in more funding.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:01 AM   #5025
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
CSEC should be convincing Brookfield to build them an arena to operate. Diversify their portfolio.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:28 PM   #5026
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
CSEC should be convincing Brookfield to build them an arena to operate. Diversify their portfolio.
If the Flames were willing to pay lease costs that covered the cost of capital, that would be easy to get done. I think we've already established that they aren't willing to pay anything close to the actual cost of the building.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:31 PM   #5027
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
If the Flames were willing to pay lease costs that covered the cost of capital, that would be easy to get done. I think we've already established that they aren't willing to pay anything close to the actual cost of the building.
Oh with Hollywood accounting and side deals, these are costs big companies with hundreds of billions in assets don't need to worry about. It's a write off for them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 02:36 PM   #5028
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Can I blame Bettman and the ownership's arena deal actions on casting a shadow on our season that resulted in this crap finish?
Old 03-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #5029
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Can I blame Bettman and the ownership's arena deal actions on casting a shadow on our season that resulted in this crap finish?
They dropped the "no longer negotiating" crap on the night of their charity golf event.

Think about that. They chose a charity event to threaten to leave.

Yeah, if you believe in karma there you go.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:42 PM   #5030
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Like Torode, Homburg, Eau Claire, etc?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:18 PM   #5031
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Like Torode, Homburg, Eau Claire, etc?
Care to fill me in?
Old 03-20-2018, 03:25 PM   #5032
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
For the fourth largest city in Canada, the city sure has more to worry about than professional sporting playgrounds that are merely a little dated:

- CTrain lines that are being penny pinched at every turn and left incomplete.
- Infrastructure/overpasses along NW and NE segments of Stoney trail and other roadways that sit in various stages of disrepair or completion.
- Schools that are in dire need only to be mothballed indefinitely.
- Inadequate snow removal services that wouldn't be fit for even a large town.

All of the above are embarrassingly neglected items that "world class" cities should sure as heck have in order before they even consider funding some glorified frat house for Ken and Murray's miscreants. Even then I'd rather see the city build a new landfill with the money and bury whatever is left over in the pit then gift it to greedy, narcissistic billionaires.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 03-20-2018 at 03:28 PM.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:51 PM   #5033
Hangman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
For the fourth largest city in Canada, the city sure has more to worry about than professional sporting playgrounds that are merely a little dated:

- Infrastructure/overpasses along NW and NE segments of Stoney trail and other roadways that sit in various stages of disrepair or completion.

All of the above are embarrassingly neglected items that "world class" cities should sure as heck have in order before they even consider funding some glorified frat house for Ken and Murray's miscreants. Even then I'd rather see the city build a new landfill with the money and bury whatever is left over in the pit then gift it to greedy, narcissistic billionaires.
Stoney Trail is a provincial project and schools are also a provincial responsibility.

No argument regarding CTrain and Snow Removal. However part of the responsibilty for both of those lies with tax payers who do not in any way wish to see their taxes go up to pay for such things.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:02 AM   #5034
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

But,but,but..we have art and a place to read lots of books
Old 03-21-2018, 03:44 AM   #5035
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Sounds to me horrible miss management of city funds , where have all those booming Tax dollars gone. How are smaller cities managing to maintain services and build new stadiums and Arena's Face it Flames will be moved without a new Arena , well I guess eveyone can head to the other tax payers funded ventures that the councli people of Calgary thought was real important like a 245 million dollar library in which everything can be found online , must keep those bookworms happy Am I right that's there entertainment.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #5036
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The funds for the library were not available for just any project. Similar to the Peace Bridge being part of a provincial grant that had to be spent on pedestrian infrastructure, the library’s money came from similarly restricted funding sources.

So bringing it up is pointless. Regardless of ones opinion on the need for a new library, if they don’t build he library, they don’t get to spend that money on an arena, or even on c-train cars.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 07:45 AM   #5037
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sounds to me horrible miss management of city funds , where have all those booming Tax dollars gone. How are smaller cities managing to maintain services and build new stadiums and Arena's Face it Flames will be moved without a new Arena , well I guess eveyone can head to the other tax payers funded ventures that the councli people of Calgary thought was real important like a 245 million dollar library in which everything can be found online , must keep those bookworms happy Am I right that's there entertainment.
Is this a really meta comment about how many people in the city could actually benefit from using the library?
Old 03-21-2018, 08:11 AM   #5038
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Not that this means anything to anyone here but Saskatoon is starting their push for a new downtown arena as well so I get to hear about it from two cities for the next few years!
Old 03-21-2018, 09:02 AM   #5039
Flamenfame
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Well I am tired of the city subsidizing all these businesses it needs to stop . They give money to all theses comouter companies networking companies , money spent on fuel , all the cash on office supplies office space how dare they make non Calgary companies profit . Lol The amount of money wasted last 20 years on wasted crap in Calgary would easily put up a Arena and Stadium . It is funny these days Edmonton for 50 years were locked into a 1800's mindset afraid to build downtown afraid to do anything . While Clagary was building and very progressive at building a major city, now it's like the complete Opposite Edmonton has been building arena's finished the Henday are expanding The LRT everywhere and is moving at a very progressive rate while Calgary seems to be taking a 19 century stance. Quite the Shame

Last edited by Flamenfame; 03-21-2018 at 09:04 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 09:11 AM   #5040
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

my head
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread