Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-19-2018, 02:12 PM   #1
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Calgary Digital Expo

Thank you to the admins for allowing this post

From the Kickstarter page:

Calgary Digital Expo is an event and experience for those who work in online video and those who love it. Made for both the creators and viewers of the online video industry. Calgary Digital Expo 2018 is a celebration of everything that makes this medium awesome, bringing together a community that believes online video is the most important cultural force since the motion picture.

Calgary Digital Expo was started in 2018 by J. "JD" Dirom, Kyle Marshall, Steven Lazarowych, Matt Mort, and Jonathan Burkinshaw, building on the concept of community and that people who had only ever met on the internet could connect in real life.

This Kickstarter goal has been set at $20,000, we plan to exceed that, and will continue to sell tickets after the Kickstarter expires at full price via the website, at the conclusion of the Kickstarter. If the $20,000 goal is not reached, it will be deemed that there is not significant enough interest in such a convention at this time.

We hope to see you all at the Digital Expo (August 2018 - Date TBA).

Kickstarter (watch the video): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...y-digital-expo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dexpocan/

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Dexpocan

Members of Twitch Calgary and the Calgary Video Creators are also part of this endeavor.

I'm personally part of the Calgary Video Creators group and have already pledged (I'll have a booth + tickets to giveaway on my YouTube channel)

Here is Kyle Marshall with a little more info:

The project is already 8% funded since being announced on March 5th.

I thought it would be cool to get a thread started, gauge interest and help promote it.

Think of this like the Comic Expo but for video creators.

Please watch the Kickstarter video. It should answer all your questions.
The project, if not 100% funded, is refundable.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #2
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I think it's a great idea. There are a lot of content creators in Calgary and the surrounding area. I think the success depends on how big you try to go. IMO, starting small and letting it grow organically would help you in the long run. Grow into your experience in running a conference. The CalgaryExpo nearly imploded one year when their guest numbers grew past their own ability to manage. I think they saved themselves the following year by bringing on professional event organizers to help out.

Video creators is fairly narrow in the grand scheme of media. There was a podcast conference in Calgary last year that was fairly well attended. I think their success came from catering to professionals and hobbyists. I'm helping run Calgary WordCamp (WordPress conference). We're capped at around 130 attendees to keep things manageable and more engaging for the attendees. Something to think about.

Also, Digital Expo is a very broad name for such a narrow focus.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #3
MrDJZak
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I guess I should have mentioned that I'm not part of the planning group. I've only pledged and plan on having a booth.

The best way to get in touch with the planning group is via the Facebook page and or Twitter.
MrDJZak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calgary digital expo