Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-20-2018, 11:25 PM   #41
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1848 View Post
One day contract and retirement here and get him in our stuff.
Actually starting to wonder if he even wants that. hope i'm wrong, but wouldn't be surprised if he shuns the flames on retirement.
Corral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:29 PM   #42
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
Actually starting to wonder if he even wants that. hope i'm wrong, but wouldn't be surprised if he shuns the flames on retirement.
Iggy doesn't seem to care about the franchise or city at all

Some people need to get over it and stop buying him gun racks...he doesn't even own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate an entire rack

Last edited by dino7c; 02-20-2018 at 11:31 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 12:01 AM   #43
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't it rumoured last off season that Iginla had no interest in joining the Flames? It's time for people to let go. The day he was traded, he was smiles from ear-to-ear, and in the following weeks gushed over the Penguins. Since then, he played for 3 other teams and has made his new home in Boston. I really don't think the sentimentality is a two-way street. He was happy to move on, and so should we.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:42 AM   #44
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The flames have payed millions of dollars to players who have done nothing tangible for the city or franchise. Since 1990, seven men stand above the rest: Sutter, Iginla, Kipper, Regehr, Conroy, Theo and Gelinas have done more for this franchise than any other players since 1989.

If Sutter or Gelinas or Kipper or Regehr wants to coach, they should get consideration by the franchise. If Conroy wants to GM, he should get consideration by the franchise. If Iginla wants to play, he should get consideration by the franchise. Its no different than with Theo - if he wants to attempt a comeback, he should get consideration by the franchise.

After all, all these players are "forever flames" (or at least will be eventually)
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 12:50 AM   #45
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Wasn't it rumoured last off season that Iginla had no interest in joining the Flames? It's time for people to let go. The day he was traded, he was smiles from ear-to-ear, and in the following weeks gushed over the Penguins. Since then, he played for 3 other teams and has made his new home in Boston. I really don't think the sentimentality is a two-way street. He was happy to move on, and so should we.
Every time this topic comes up, it's the same thing.

You can think it's a bad idea to look at Iggy and think both parties should move on without spinning a narrative that doesn't / didn't exist.

There was talk before the season the Flames may have looked at Iggy (prior to Jagr), and some comments he was warm to it.

Way back when he was traded, he was probably excited to move on to a team that had a shot at a cup when the Flames were entering a rebuild.

This notion the Flames have some kind of grudge against him and he never would have considered coming back is completely a fabrication by a few of you every time this subject comes up.

You don't need to spin wild speculation to put forth you think it's best both sides moved on.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 01:01 AM   #46
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Iginla signing with Boston would be a really really fun thing to watch. Hope he does
I hope Iggy was following Jagr and his attempt with the Flames. A player at his age can't just jump in mid season and expect to have success. He needs a training camp to get in shape plus some exhibition games.

I hope he does the right thing and hangs up the blades and moves on into another aspect of the game.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:11 AM   #47
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope Iginla is able to sign on with a contender or a team and try and make a push! I love the guy and would love for him to get a shot at the cup. If we look back on his trade last year where he got some of his groove back with LA, contributed nicely and went into the off-season with hopes of playing again this year. It has been confirmed in the media that he was training as if he was going to play so I don't think this will be a conditioning issue as it was with Jagr. He did have hip surgery but is younger and doesn't really have the "grind" of an NHL season to worry about. If we say he starts playing somewhere in March, we are literally talking about a max of 3.5 months if he were to go to the finals.

Regardless of what happens, best of luck to him and I hope he's content with how things end up in the end. I will always have nothing but the fondness of memories for his time in the league. I literally watched his first goal and his last. What a career!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 04:43 AM   #48
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He should come back if only to beat the #### out of Maroon again.

Then retire.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:14 AM   #49
rage2
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
The flames have payed millions of dollars to players who have done nothing tangible for the city or franchise. Since 1990, seven men stand above the rest: Sutter, Iginla, Kipper, Regehr, Conroy, Theo and Gelinas have done more for this franchise than any other players since 1989.

If Sutter or Gelinas or Kipper or Regehr wants to coach, they should get consideration by the franchise. If Conroy wants to GM, he should get consideration by the franchise. If Iginla wants to play, he should get consideration by the franchise. Its no different than with Theo - if he wants to attempt a comeback, he should get consideration by the franchise.

After all, all these players are "forever flames" (or at least will be eventually)
Sounds like Oilers strategy to me.
rage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to rage2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 11:16 AM   #50
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Iginla practicing with Bruins AHL team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iniggywetrust View Post
Call it nostalgia if you want but I think he is exactly what this team needs.

As long as he is fit enough to play, he could be a shot to the heart of this team. It would help bring some excitement to the fans, which could help the home record. Not to mention have him line on the PP2 opposite Stone for two shooting threats.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

This. I completely agree. The dome needs a spark and iginla may be the guy to do it. I look at it as a low-risk, low-cost signing. His shot could do wonders for the power play. It’s been discussed in the past but a right-handed sniper is what the power play needs more than anything. Top power play unit of tkachuk, monahan, and Johnny, with iginla and gio on the points. Johnny then gets to move to his off-wing. Teams then have to respect iginla’s shot while also trying to take away space from Johnny. This ends up opening up Monahan in the slot as well... where he is one of the best in the league. Have tkachuk in front causing havoc and it’s a nightmare for penalty killers.

The capitals have been using this set up for years on their power play with ovi and backstrom...it’s been one of the best in the league during that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by stemit14; 02-21-2018 at 11:19 AM.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:15 PM   #51
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m not convinced Iggy even wants to sign the one day retirement contract to retire a Flame. Seems pretty clear to me he’s put his time in Calgary behind him and the team should do likewise. Give him the “Forever a Flame” nonsense and move on.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 12:44 PM   #52
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Every time this topic comes up, it's the same thing.

You can think it's a bad idea to look at Iggy and think both parties should move on without spinning a narrative that doesn't / didn't exist.

There was talk before the season the Flames may have looked at Iggy (prior to Jagr), and some comments he was warm to it.

Way back when he was traded, he was probably excited to move on to a team that had a shot at a cup when the Flames were entering a rebuild.

This notion the Flames have some kind of grudge against him and he never would have considered coming back is completely a fabrication by a few of you every time this subject comes up.

You don't need to spin wild speculation to put forth you think it's best both sides moved on.
I don't think the Flames have a grudge against him, the opposite actually. I think if Iginla wanted to be a Flame again, it would have happened long before now. He moved on quite happily, and so should the fans. It's kind of sad that people still dwell on him like this.

Besides that, he has nothing to offer. The last thing our energy line needs is an old and slow player and our checking line doesn't need a player who is historically not a defensive player. And I am pretty sure hour top 6 doesn't need a player that is coming off surgery and missed most of the year.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:57 PM   #53
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think the Flames have a grudge against him, the opposite actually. I think if Iginla wanted to be a Flame again, it would have happened long before now. He moved on quite happily, and so should the fans. It's kind of sad that people still dwell on him like this.
This is the part that gets me. You're 100% making this up to suit your narrative of thinking it's a bad idea. You don't need to do that.

There were quotes from him before this season talking about how it was interesting we were looking for a RW. It definitely suggested some interest.

It's clear you don't think it's a good idea and seem angry other are discussing it for nostalgia sake. All fair (though really an odd thing to get upset about on a Flames fan forum). The invented "grudge" is completely unnecessary.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 01:00 PM   #54
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Besides that, he has nothing to offer. The last thing our energy line needs is an old and slow player and our checking line doesn't need a player who is historically not a defensive player. And I am pretty sure hour top 6 doesn't need a player that is coming off surgery and missed most of the year.
Good points, I think GoJetsGo is just pointing out that people don't need to make up stuff to fit their dialog. Lots of people where going off the deep end about Johnny Gaudreau not joining the Flames when they had no idea what he was actually planning, thinking or going to do. It is tempting to follow what we think our gut is telling us but too often that can also be misleading. I have been guilty of it, but I am trying to be a better poster and not jump to conclusions.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:23 PM   #55
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
This is the part that gets me. You're 100% making this up to suit your narrative of thinking it's a bad idea. You don't need to do that.

There were quotes from him before this season talking about how it was interesting we were looking for a RW. It definitely suggested some interest.

It's clear you don't think it's a good idea and seem angry other are discussing it for nostalgia sake. All fair (though really an odd thing to get upset about on a Flames fan forum). The invented "grudge" is completely unnecessary.
What is with you and making things absolute? He said he "thinks" which is obviously speculation. He didn't say he heard it or that Iginla himself said that. You really need to stop being the forum bully because when you are not doing that you usually make some solid points and discussion.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 02:31 PM   #56
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
What is with you and making things absolute? He said he "thinks" which is obviously speculation. He didn't say he heard it or that Iginla himself said that. You really need to stop being the forum bully because when you are not doing that you usually make some solid points and discussion.
I'm not sure how I can be any more clear. Any time this topic comes up there's a select few people who feel the need to invent some imaginary rift between Iggy and the Flames (in either or both directions) as a means of underlining their personal frustration some fans here get caught up with nostalgia.

People can think whatever they want, but when you try and suggest something like Iginla laughed his way out of town and never wanted anything to do with this team again, it deserves to be called out. Again, there were quotes from him in Kelowna in the summer (prior to the Jagr signing) that he was speculating how he might be a fit here.

As for "absolutes".. it seems to be you're just being sore I called you out on tossing out blanket absolutes a few days ago about Brodie being a terrible net negative "all the time". There's no need to make it personal, especially when you're guilty of what you just accused me of regularly.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2018, 02:34 PM   #57
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not sore at all about you calling me out on Brodie although the evidence continues to support my claim every game.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:39 PM   #58
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I am not sore at all about you calling me out on Brodie although the evidence continues to support my claim every game.
We went through this and you went from stating over-exaggerated stats that were not close to an every game basis to moving the goalposts before conceding your frustrations were getting the better of you. Regardless, if you'd like to discuss that again or how you don't care for my posting, feel free to message me directly as to not derail this thread.

I stand by what I said about Iginla and the inventing of hard feelings between he and the team by some people. I don't think that was at all unfair.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #59
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
This. I completely agree. The dome needs a spark and iginla may be the guy to do it.
It'd be nice to have some good energy in the crowd again. I remember the first couple games Jags played for Calgary at the dome. Crowd was buzzing and fairly involved in the game.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:42 PM   #60
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not making anything up. It's called an opinion.