Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #281
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I don't get this Calgary doesn't like young players thing ...

They promoted Monahah, Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk straight to the show. They moved out vets this year to make room for Jankowski, Hathaway, and others in trial. They shipped out their backup goaltender to promote an AHL goaltender with upside.

I think the thing is being ready.

Organizations that leave spots open based on prospect lists get buried.

I do believe they are having a Rasmus Andersson conversation daily, but a playoff bound team (guessing they still believe) doesn't move a defenseman at the deadline to make room for an AHL standout.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #282
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
For what is worth some reporter asked Clayton Keller if there were any current NCAA players that he thinks will make an impact in the NHL and Adam Fox was the first of only 2 names he said
Who was the other one?
albertGQ is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:29 PM   #283
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

They promoted Monahah, Gaudreau, Bennett, Tkachuk straight to the show. They moved out vets this year to make room for Jankowski, Hathaway, and others in trial. They shipped out their backup goaltender to promote an AHL goaltender with upside.

I do believe they are having a Rasmus Andersson conversation daily, but a playoff bound team (guessing they still believe) doesn't move a defenseman at the deadline to make room for an AHL standout.

Two things:

1) Think there is a big difference between forwards and d-men in the Flames organization

Wotherspoon proved himself at the AHL level but never was able to consistently get ice time on the big roster - development stalled because of that IMO.

Kulak made the opening night roster three seasons in a row - but for the first two seasons he spent most of his time in the press box playing 29 total NHL games over those two seasons - having to be sent down at times just to get ice time.

Now Andersson is showing he is clearly too good to be in the AHL but is blocked by Stone who is mediocre this year.

2)There is a big difference between giving guys who are clearly "Stars" a shot, vs guys who are more on the "bubble", need AHL time, and could play in our Bottom six.

Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Bennett were all no brainers IMO and none of them came through the AHL. It's the AHL graduates that struggle to get a chance on the Flames.

This year Jankowski and Hathaway were given a shot but it was really via injury (RW ravaged by injury) and in Jankowski's case because Bennett was looking lost at center. If Bennett succeeded as a center what is the likelihood that Janko actually would have displaced Stajan?

Guys like Klimchuk, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Agostino, probably should have more of a chance in a 4th line role but this team tends to lean towards veterans in those roles most of the time.

Penguins are a good example of this to me. Guys like Byran Rust, Sheary, Simon, Rowney weren't all PPG players in the AHL or immediate sensations in the NHL but they were given opportunity to develop on the 3rd/4th line of the Penguins after a year or two in the AHL.

The Cup winning Kings teams did a good job of it too. Clifford, Nolan, Lewis, King all those guys were allowed to develop in the bottom 6. None of them were lighting up the AHL but they were still given shots on the Kings roster.

Bruins are a good example this year. McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk all 1st or 2nd year on the back end. Bjork, Heinen, Vatrano, Kuraly, Acciari, Schalller are all on the roster, none of them really lit up the AHL but they were all given spots on the NHL roster to develop in Bottom 6 roles.

Flames always default to having the "value veteran" guys like Versteeg, Chiasson, Grossman, Bartkowski, Derek Grant, Freddie Hamilton, Galiardi, on the roster to fill it out instead of just giving those spots to a young guy who might actually develop at the NHL level and be a better NHLer than an AHLer.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 03:34 PM   #284
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Two things:

1) Think there is a big difference between forwards and d-men in the Flames organization

Wotherspoon proved himself at the AHL level but never was able to consistently get ice time on the big roster - development stalled because of that IMO.

Kulak made the opening night roster three seasons in a row - but for the first two seasons he spent most of his time in the press box playing 29 total NHL games over those two seasons - having to be sent down at times just to get ice time.

Now Andersson is showing he is clearly too good to be in the AHL but is blocked by Stone who is mediocre this year.

2)There is a big difference between giving guys who are clearly "Stars" a shot, vs guys who are more on the "bubble", need AHL time, and could play in our Bottom six.

Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Bennett were all no brainers IMO and none of them came through the AHL. It's the AHL graduates that struggle to get a chance on the Flames.

This year Jankowski and Hathaway were given a shot but it was really via injury (RW ravaged by injury) and in Jankowski's case because Bennett was looking lost at center. If Bennett succeeded as a center what is the likelihood that Janko actually would have displaced Stajan?

Guys like Klimchuk, Poirier, Shinkaruk, Agostino, probably should have more of a chance in a 4th line role but this team tends to lean towards veterans in those roles most of the time.

Penguins are a good example of this to me. Guys like Byran Rust, Sheary, Simon, Rowney weren't all PPG players in the AHL or immediate sensations in the NHL but they were given opportunity to develop on the 3rd/4th line of the Penguins after a year or two in the AHL.

The Cup winning Kings teams did a good job of it too. Clifford, Nolan, Lewis, King all those guys were allowed to develop in the bottom 6. None of them were lighting up the AHL but they were still given shots on the Kings roster.

Bruins are a good example this year. McAvoy, Carlo, Grzelcyk all 1st or 2nd year on the back end. Bjork, Heinen, Vatrano, Kuraly, Acciari, Schalller are all on the roster, none of them really lit up the AHL but they were all given spots on the NHL roster to develop in Bottom 6 roles.

Flames always default to having the "value veteran" guys like Versteeg, Chiasson, Grossman, Bartkowski, Derek Grant, Freddie Hamilton, Galiardi, on the roster to fill it out instead of just giving those spots to a young guy who might actually develop at the NHL level and be a better NHLer than an AHLer.

This is why the flames as an organization will always be mediocre. The refusal to trust the youth.
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 04:36 PM   #285
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Who was the other one?

Patrick Harper. A 5’9 5th round draft pick of the Predators. Currently has 21 points in 20 games for Boston University.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:13 PM   #286
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Two things:

Even though I agree the Flames are in a spot now that they can fill their roster out with youth there is value in having Vets on your squad especially when your core has mainly all young star players other than Giordano

Pittsburgh had a lot of vets when Crosby and Malkin were 20 and winning the cup. They are now 30 and have a ton of experience

Bruins - Chara, Bergeron, Marchand - they have done it all too

When the Flames picked up Stajan and resigned him and Brouwer guys like Gaudreau, Monahan were just entering the league and Tkachuk wasn't even on the team yet. Fans need to be a bit more patient IMO as most knew this was going to take 5 years and so far that looks to be right

The Flames core is now entering a stage where the vets aren't needed as much. Hopefully Treliving recognizes this and moves forward with more youth. Unfortunately it's frustrating because we could be stuck with Stone (who got overvalued after last year) & Brouwer. But I think this will be Stajan's last year with the Flames and I think it should be Versteeg's too (I'm not one that thinks the Flames PP can't succeed without him)

If the Flames resign these guys then nothing will ever change and they will always be stuck in the middle because of it
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 05:50 PM   #287
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Only way to tell is if they move on to other organizations and then become solid NHLers.

This exact argument was made on this site for years for Dustin Boyd, he didn't catch on anywhere.

I see a team that moves guys when a young players shows he's ready. They've done that. I think the discussion is underway on Andersson as well, but they won't deal Stone if they think they're playoff bound.

The off season however I could see it for sure.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #288
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Two things:

Disagree completely. Wotherspoon has had every opportunity to earn an NHL job and has failed to do so He's been at several camps and generally hasn't been great.
He's played 30 games. He's had many more practices to show what he can do.
He hasn't earned the job. Pure and simple. If he was better than other choices - he'd be up and playing
But he's had far more opportunities that a lot of other guys ever get. He has simply not taken advantage off them
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:40 PM   #289
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ryan Pike

@RyanNPike
Following Following @RyanNPike
More
Tomorrow *could* be Adam Fox's final NCAA game. #Flames.

6:34 PM - 9 Mar 2018
Old 03-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #290
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Well that would sure provide some excitement!
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:45 PM   #291
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Ryan Pike

@RyanNPike
Following Following @RyanNPike
More
Tomorrow *could* be Adam Fox's final NCAA game. #Flames.

6:34 PM - 9 Mar 2018
Who is going to stalk the airport for Flames brass flying to Boston now that the ass handler has seemingly stepped away from the site.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 08:54 PM   #292
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Need to get Fox signed. Nothing left for him to prove in the NCAA
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 07:12 AM   #293
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Adam, you shoot right. Have you ever played wing?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 09:20 AM   #294
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post

Don't follow you here...who was moved out to make room for Jankowski and Hathaway? Seems to me that Janko and Hathaway started the year in the AHL while the 3rd and 4th lines failed to contribute a single point before they were called up, every started to panic that Bennett was a bust and the Flames got off to another slow start. Unless you're crediting Treliving for eventually waiving Tanner Glass after signing him at the end of preseason and sending Jankowski down.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:31 AM   #295
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Obviously I would like to see Fox under contract, but I don't see the rush here. He had some injuries this season, don't think another full campaign in the NCAA would hurt his development. Would also like to see the Flames move an RD and give Andersson a legitimate shot on the third pairing before then.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 11:53 AM   #296
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If fox signs is he eligible to play in the AHL playoffs?
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2018, 12:03 PM   #297
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
Yes.

He would fall in under (B) because all draft picks remain on an NHL team's reserve list until their rights expire.

edit: assuming his NHL contract starts next season like getBak has explained

Last edited by sureLoss; 03-10-2018 at 12:08 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 12:05 PM   #298
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Obviously I would like to see Fox under contract, but I don't see the rush here. He had some injuries this season, don't think another full campaign in the NCAA would hurt his development. Would also like to see the Flames move an RD and give Andersson a legitimate shot on the third pairing before then.
Every year you wait gives him less incentive to sign here instead of just waiting for free agency.

Don't screw around with NCAA prospects once you've decided they are worth a contract.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2018, 12:07 PM   #299
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoller View Post
If he signs an NHL contract that starts next season, he can go to the AHL and play for the Heat this season.

If he wants to burn the first year of his ELC, he has to sign an NHL contract that starts this season. If that happens, he can only play in the NHL for the remainder of this season.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:11 PM   #300
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

I guess we will have an idea where his head is at soon
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote