Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
Tarasenko can't play in the top 6 right now, and he doesn't play a grinding or energy roll. Pretty simple
The point though remains valid - the inability of a prospect to crack a lineup, particularly in a shortened season shouldn't mean they are not good prospects.

Flames fans have long lamented the "ones that got away" where guys didn't get an opportunity here and went elsewhere and excelled.

Why can't the reverse happen?
JiriHrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
For me, prospects should be based off both potential, and how close they are to reaching it.

my top ten are

1. Sven Baertschi
2. Mark Jankowski
3. John Gaudreau
4. Mark Cundari
5. Jonathan Gillies
6. Tyler Wotherspoon
7. Markus Granlund
8. Roman Horak
9. Kenny Agostino
10. Ben Hanowski
11/12 Brett Kulak and Ryan Culkin

While certain guys like Reinhart and Bouma might be NHL ready or very close, when they get there they will not be anything more than low end 3rd liners or regular 4th liners. Necessary players, but not anything to get excited about.
Sorry, but you don't put Bouma and Reinhart in the top 10 when they're knocking at the door, and have a ceiling of 3/4th lines but you have Hanowski at 10?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:47 PM   #23
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Sorry, but you don't put Bouma and Reinhart in the top 10 when they're knocking at the door, and have a ceiling of 3/4th lines but you have Hanowski at 10?
Hanowski has offensive potential, which is why I have him higher than those two. He at least knows how to get into the right areas. Reinhart and Bouma might score 5-10 goals a season, Hanowski has potential to get more than that.
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #24
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't necessarily agree with that order myself but to each their own.

Here is my list.

1. Sven Baertschi
2. Johnny Gaudreau
3. Mark Jankowski
4. Jon Gillies
5a. Roman Horak (if you consider him a prospect..)
5b. Max Reinhart
6. Tyler Wotherspoon
7a. Patrick Sieloff
7b. Mark Cundari
8. Kenny Agostino
9. Bill Arnold
10. Laurent Brossoit

Lance Bouma would have been a full time NHL player had it not been for his injury. He no longer qualifies in my opinion.

Markus Granlund just misses the cut due to the fact that it is so difficult to track his development with the limited exposure he gets from playing in Finland.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #25
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
wasn't Cundari an AHL allstar (to be clear I'm not saying that predicts high potential, just that it implies he must have been more than a depth player on his AHL team?)
Yes

Quote:
The American Hockey League announced today that defenseman Mark Cundari has been named to the Western Conference All-Star roster for the 2013 Dunkin’ Donuts AHL All-Star Classic, to take place Jan. 27-28 in Providence, R.I.
Cundari, 22, leads all Rivermen defenseman in points (16) and assists (14) and is second among plus/minus (+2). In 32 games, the Woodbridge, ON native has already surpassed his point total from last season (15 in 48 games).
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:26 PM   #26
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Top ten to make the team next season
1. Baertschi
2. Cundari
3. Horak
4. Reinhart
5. Hanowski
6. Breen
7. Berra

8. Ortio
9.Wotherspoon
10. 2013 draft pick

Street?
Old 05-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #27
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary83 View Post
And Tarasenko can't beat out Adam Cracknell for a roster spot on the Blues. What a bust.
Cracknell's a really interesting player. Great work ethic.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #28
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
The point though remains valid - the inability of a prospect to crack a lineup, particularly in a shortened season shouldn't mean they are not good prospects.

Flames fans have long lamented the "ones that got away" where guys didn't get an opportunity here and went elsewhere and excelled.

Why can't the reverse happen?
Cundari's got potential, but I'm not sure that a 5'9" defenseman has a long shelf life (or necessarily a high ceiling given his playing style). Giordano plays a similar style, but is (a) significantly bigger physically and (b) freakish in terms of how quick he heals.

That said, Ramo and Cundari do have that potential.

Old 05-11-2013, 12:50 AM   #29
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
Despite the big talk by management I don't rate Sieloff highly either. It just seems that a defenceman known mostly for his physical game isn't going to be able to translate it well at the pros when he's only 6' and 197lbs.
Should of took Martin Frk instead. I am still wondering how Feasters depth drafting turns out. Im not patting him on the back for Bart thats only one guy so far and the rest of the young guys that look like they have made it so far are Sutter picks.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:05 AM   #30
Hells Bells
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
Should of took Martin Frk instead. I am still wondering how Feasters depth drafting turns out. Im not patting him on the back for Bart thats only one guy so far and the rest of the young guys that look like they have made it so far are Sutter picks.
One thing that is very clear to me already, Feaster has been MUCH better at drafting than Sutter. The prospect cupboard was pathetic under Sutter and is now becoming respectable.

The only reason many of Feaster`s picks haven;t made it yet is due to age. These kids are infinitely better than Howse, Chucko, Pelech, Ramholt, Nemisz etc...
Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 AM   #31
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the jury is still out on Feaster's picks. The latest picks always look good as the shine is still on them. We won't see any glitches until they turn pro. That being said I am positive about most of Feaster's picks, it's just too early to rate them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #32
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Baertschi
Horak
Reinhart
Breen

All 4 of these guys have a legit shot at being Flames on opening night of next season.

Wotherspoon is my sleeper pick, I think he may surprise and make the team out of camp as well.

I'm excited for the year's draft, it's going to stock the cupboards with 1st rounders and instantly make the Flames' prospect pool look infinitely better. Draft big bodied C, D and RW in the first round, and you're on the right track.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #33
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rate the prospects.

1. Sven
2. Johnny Hockey
3. Janko
4. Reinhart
5. Gillies
6. Agostino
7. Breen
8. Tspoon
9. Brossoit
10. Sieloff

I don't really consider Horak a prospect anymore
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:55 AM   #34
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Good read, as always, from Ryan.

I'd also have Jankowski top 3, basing my own list on longterm potential rather than NHL readiness.

Hopefully, we can all agree on 3 new additions to the Top 10 on or after June 30th!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #35
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Cundari's got potential, but I'm not sure that a 5'9" defenseman has a long shelf life (or necessarily a high ceiling given his playing style). Giordano plays a similar style, but is (a) significantly bigger physically and (b) freakish in terms of how quick he heals.

The guy doesn't look small to me. He is short. But he is bulky as heck.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #36
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post

Cundari reminds me of Andrew Ference with a better shot. Small but physical, built like a bull. If Cundari could be anything like Ference then I would be happy.

Very good write up. Enjoyed the read. Liked the rankings as well. I think it speaks volumes about our growing prospect depth that a kid like Jankowski being in the top 10 is completely debatable.
Super-Rye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #37
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

What makes me optimistic about the Flames is that they've drafted and acquired a lot of different KINDS of hockey players. They have different kinds of goalies, defenders, forwards. A lot of interesting things happening.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #38
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

On potential:

Gaudreau
Baertschi
Gillies
Jankowski
Reinhart
Agostino
Brossoit
Arnold
Wotherspoon
Cundari

On likelihood of NHL success:

Baertschi
Reinhart
Cundari
Gillies
Agostino
Gaudreau
Kulak
Arnold
Wotherspoon
Hanowski

Honourable mentions: Sieloff, Bouma, DeBlouw, Culkin

Notes:

-I consider Horak & Brodie NHL starters now, so they aren't included

-Baertschi demonstrated top-6 NHL abilities in his last 7 games. I'm very relieved, to say the least. I expect him to arrive in camp physically stronger & motivated to make this team his own.

-Gaudreau & Jankowski are the wildcards. Janko showed flashes of high end skill for Providence. Only flashes though. Hopefully he can fully convert to centre next season & improve his stats & physical strength. Jonny will either be a dominant force in the NHL or won't make it at all. Patience...

-Gillies had as good a freshman year as an NCAA goalie can have. Brossoit is closer to the pros but I'm concerned that he's been sheltered by a strong Oil Kings defence. I worry about his mentality as well, and you can't teach that.

-I think Hanowski could be a useful bottom-6 guy. He should hone his skills in the AHL.

-Haven't seen enough of Sieloff to include him.

-Agostino, Arnold, Wotherspoon & Cundari demonstrate intangibles & work ethic that lead me to believe they are likely to make it to the NHL. In what capacity? Useful, middle-6 forwards & mid-pairing defence. I expect all 4 of them to make an impact within 2 years.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:32 PM   #39
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hockey Writers or basement bloggers? Terrible list IMO as some of the Flames better prospects aren't even mentioned.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #40
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Hockey Writers or basement bloggers? Terrible list IMO as some of the Flames better prospects aren't even mentioned.
I would have ignored your post and moved on.. but this seems like a bit of a cheap shot on your part... "Basement Bloggers"?

Well, sorry EE, I myself may not agree with that list, but since you have openly admitted to not following the prospects or watching the Heat, I would say you are about the very last person on this forum that should be making posts like these when someone comes up with prospect ranking. If you disagree with this list to the point where you are making a personal attack, how about you make your own list and let the rest of the community give their thoughts on it. Oh right.. once again.. you don't follow the prospects... At least Freeway follows the prospects regularly.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote