Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:
Default Cycling Thread

I thought I'd start a thread for people interested in cycling. I'm by no means an expert but would love to see what other people are riding and any tips they might have for novice riders like myself.

This is my road bike. It's pretty low-end as I bought it after having not rode a bike in nearly a decade and just wanted to get back into it. It's still great for me as I'm still pretty green. It's a 2009 Trek 1.5

I picked this up this year so I can drag the kids around in a trailer and still get a bit of training in. I also like the cross tires for earlier season riding without feeling like I'm going to bail on the gravel all over the city. A 2010 Norco CCX2.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:21 AM   #2
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

1. Wear a helmet
2. Clipless pedals
3. Bail onto grass not asphalt
4. If you are using it as a commuter get a bike rack and panniers
5. Learn your damn hand signals
6. Get a good jacket that is reflective and water resistant
7. If you are dragging around your kids - have your kids wear a helmet, I always shake my head when I see the adult with a helmet and the kid with nothing at all.
8. Enjoy your bike.
9. Get a bike maintenance kit and know how to use it if you need to do so (how to change a flat for example or in case your chain breaks).
10. Bike gloves - good investment
The Following User Says Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #3
jonesy
First Line Centre

Exp:

11. Don't smell like sour vinegar in morning meetings -Captain Crunch
Old 06-17-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
1. Wear a helmet
2. Clipless pedals
3. Bail onto grass not asphalt
4. If you are using it as a commuter get a bike rack and panniers
5. Learn your damn hand signals
6. Get a good jacket that is reflective and water resistant
7. If you are dragging around your kids - have your kids wear a helmet, I always shake my head when I see the adult with a helmet and the kid with nothing at all.
8. Enjoy your bike.
9. Get a bike maintenance kit and know how to use it if you need to do so (how to change a flat for example or in case your chain breaks).
10. Bike gloves - good investment
Those are all good points.

I would add to keep your water bottle full. Even if you're not going for a long ride it can be used to clean off any scrapes if you do bail...

I've got clip one side/egg beater the other on my cross bike in case I don't have my shoes with me.

And I work from home so the vinegar smell only effects me...
Old 06-17-2011, 06:03 PM   #5
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

The cyclocross is a good choice.

I'd been looking at getting a road bike after riding a cheapie mountain bike for years (including from Surrey to Seattle), but decided against it due to lack of braze-ons for a rack.

That pretty much left me with the choice of a touring bike or cyclocross. I found the cyclocross just that bit more versatile (I have no hesitation cutting through a park or on gravel/peat trails) and was able to get one new for much cheaper than the lowest entry-level touring bikes (which all seem to start around $1400).

Riding is so much more pleasurable than driving or taking transit, and it's one of the easiest ways to get fit.

Plus I like racing other commuters to work in the morning. It's more of a wake up than a cup of coffee.

2010 Masi Speciale CX
Cromoly frame.
Tiagra in the front, 105 in the back.
$1000.

Last edited by flylock shox; 06-17-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 PM   #6
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

My stable:

2011 Trek 2.1 105 5700 compact. Love the bike, hate the required attire.

2008 Trek 6000, that just got a full rebuild with Carbon everything, and XT grouppo, and Recon race air shocks.

And this baby I just got, that can't seem to get off of, just love it. Fast, cheap, light and versatile. Alum frame, carbon fork, 700c x 28 wheels... all for 900 bucks. Unreal commuter.

2011 Devinci Olso SL double, with a random tiagra/sora combo groupset. Kinda a touring roadbike, but with a flat bar. Absolutely love thing, and I don't feel bad getting the odd ding and scratch. Just put a panier rack and some carbon bar ends on it. Most versatile bike I have ever owned, and I don't have to be a spandex dork when I ride it. Put about 400 km's on it the first 2 weeks.

Old 06-17-2011, 08:01 PM   #7
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Got this in 2008 - a Giant FCR3 for $499.00 It's been a great bike for me as I dabble in commuting to work. 20km one way is no problem for this bike comfort wise.
It came with 700x32C on it but I've had 23c on them for the last two summers - no problems at all. Someone jacked my seat while i was picking up my son from pre-school on Wednesday.

Last edited by Coys1882; 06-17-2011 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-17-2011, 08:46 PM   #8
fatso
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I thought I'd start a thread for people interested in cycling. I'm by no means an expert but would love to see what other people are riding and any tips they might have for novice riders like myself...
Given your physical abilities and issues, I suggest you start with this.

The great CP is in dire need of prunes!
"That's because the productive part of society is adverse to giving up all their wealth so you libs can conduct your social experiments. Experience tells us your a bunch of snake oil salesman...Sucks to be you.
" ~Calgaryborn 12/06/09 keeping it really stupid!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatso For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2011, 10:20 PM   #9
Lee of Red
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Tah-dah

I really like older bikes. This is a 70s Raleigh that I cleaned up and is my everyday ride. Great for short trips, commuting, training and touring. You can see one major innovation on there that never caught on, the spring loaded saddle It has Suntour index shifting, 12 speed. I don't like a lot of gears. But there's plenty of speed in the hardest gear and I can climb hills just fine.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lee of Red For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 12:52 AM   #10
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

I guess tips are important too...lol.

For buying parts, you simply cannot beat www.JensonUSA.com . Everything is quoted duty, brokerage, shipping and tax in, to your door price. I ordered what would have amounted to about $1500 worth of parts to upgrade my mountain bike here, for around 600 bucks to my door, NEXT DAY for most shipments too.

One of the absolute best investments I made, was buying a mechanics bike repair stand for $140 bucks at MEC, and the park tool ak-37 tool kit. Park tool is kinda like the Snap-on of the bike tool world. I literally stripped my mountain bike down to the frame, and rebuilt it from scratch using the tool kit, and a few youtube vids. It was literally a custom build. Every single component was swapped out. The only things I kept were the wheels, and frame. Headset, bottom bracket, derailleurs, shifters, hydraulics, everything..... new.

Took my okayish $1000 Trek 6000, to a race ready $3000 XC hardtail (Trek 8500 level), by shopping savvy, and buying bits and pieces that were on sale over a couple months. For example I picked up a carbon seat post, riser bar, and stem, one weekend they were on sale, and got the whole shebang for about 120 bucks. Here?? Good luck pulling that off for less than $350. Clipless pedals you'll pick up for 1/3 to 1/2 price, and forks/shocks are criminally priced here at LBS, expect to save 1/2, and drivetrains, at least half.

However, DO NOT buy built wheels, you get crushed on the duty on them. Buy a truing stand, and buy the spokes and rims separately, and build your own. It is the last thing I am learning, is wheels truing. I have about 3 or 4 old wheels I keep building, tearing down, and purposely warping, just to get the hang of it. Once you have the right tools, wrenching bikes is super satisfying, and fun.

I got the park tool ak-37 kit on sale for $220 at Jenson, and the stand for $140 at MEC, and I will never have to pay for a bike tune ever again. So it is a super solid investment. However, if you are not mechanically inclined, you might want to stay away. Shifter/derailleurs/drive train can be a witch if you you don't get how gearing and levers work.
The Following User Says Thank You to pylon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Anybody know of any decent iPhone cases that attach to your handlebars?
Old 06-19-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I've heard this one is the best but I haven't tested it myself.

http://www.thinkbiologic.com/product...mount-iphone-4

That being said, I have a mount for a 3G/3GS that is collecting dust if anyone's interested.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 AM   #13
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That being said, I have a mount for a 3G/3GS that is collecting dust if anyone's interested.
So you can mount it? If Sliver isn't interested (he was here first!) then I am for sure.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:49 PM   #14
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
So you can mount it? If Sliver isn't interested (he was here first!) then I am for sure.
Thanks Slava but I would need one for the iPhone 4.
Old 06-19-2011, 08:58 PM   #15
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:

That is pretty much exactly what I want, although a touch pricey. I'll try to find something local and cheaper but that might be my bitch. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:13 PM   #16
kipperfan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'am ######ed and still haven't figured out posting pics, but I ride a Giant Yukon...

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-in/...on/5453/37970/

Have not done any mods to the bike save putting on a new seat but so far it has really been a great bike for the price. I ride pretty hard and this bike (though still fairly new) seems to take the beating in stride, a very tough frame with decent components. I would recommend it to anyone looking for a mb under $750.

And since we're on the topic, any other mountain bikers out there with good (see "off the beaten path") trail recommendations for the Canmore/Kananaskis/Bragg Creek areas?

Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Brothers Karamazov
Old 06-19-2011, 10:37 PM   #17
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yup, it mounts on the handlebars.

I picked it up on Amazon: http://www.amazon.ca/Arkon-IPM127-iP...8544641&sr=8-1
Old 06-19-2011, 10:46 PM   #18
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just mounted my red Michelin Pro 3 700X23 Race tires on my Giant TCX 1. I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of improvement in speed I can make.

Going to the CX bike alone bumped up my speed by 4-5 kph but I've been riding slightly knobby 700X35 tires and I'm totally pumped to see what the skinnier slick racing tires do for me.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:27 PM   #19
Lee of Red
Backup Goalie

Exp:

If you guys have never given the track a try then definitely do. There's nothing like the buzz of lapping the velodrome.

http://www.cbtl.ca/

These guys have a free introductory session every Monday evening.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:39 PM   #20
Nandric
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee of Red View Post
If you guys have never given the track a try then definitely do. There's nothing like the buzz of lapping the velodrome.

http://www.cbtl.ca/

These guys have a free introductory session every Monday evening.
Second this.

I worked as one of the track managers the past couple years and it is definitely a fun past time, specially since you dont have to deal with riding on the road with cars. The only bad thing is the weather has been bad up to now so its been tough to get out there. Random note, on that website in the banner at the top is a picture of my younger self racing the track in the blue/orange kit, being held from a standing start.

My latest facilitator of pain:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us