Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-22-2018, 07:51 AM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Knights 7 Flames 3

Knights 7 Flames 3

- slow start
- no saves
- no dice
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2018, 08:46 AM   #2
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I believe last night shows the Brian Burke lamp post analogy. Is there a correlation between strong possession teams and shot attempts? Absolutely! Is there likely a strong correlation between poor teams chasing in games constantly and shot attempts? Absolutely! The stats support either narrative, but anyone that came out of yesterday's game thinking that the Flames were the better team didn't watch the same game as I did.
Old 02-22-2018, 08:53 AM   #3
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

I didn't get to see the whole game but from what I did see I just don't understand the meltdown. I missed most of the first so I get that there was another slow Flames start but I thought they showed a lot of resiliency to keep battling back and staying in the game. There was some pretty atrocious officiating, the Jankowski/Fleury getting offsetting minors and then Tkachuk getting 2 mins for a stick lift just didn't make any sense. Combined with the missed calls Vegas was getting this was an uphill battle against one of (the?) best home teams in the league, some pretty sub-par goaltending and sketchy officiating.

The offside call is the rule, but they seriously need to make some changes to it, it is as ridiculous as the toe in the crease rule of 98/99. Seriously? 30 seconds later they score and it gets called back? Imagine if that standard applied to goaltender interference.

All in all, didn't expect to win this one. Score was run up by a deflating call-back on the tying goal. Tough few games but against two top teams in the league and one of the hottest currently, all with the backup, isn't really telling me anything I didn't already know about the Flames.

Mentality fragile, missing scoring depth and a bubble 95-100 point team. Nothing has really changed that with a minor 3 game skid. This isn't a contender, and I really can't say they are more talented or play that much better than any team they are behind right now. Hammer a couple wins out and they are right back to where they belong.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #4
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post
I believe last night shows the Brian Burke lamp post analogy. Is there a correlation between strong possession teams and shot attempts? Absolutely! Is there likely a strong correlation between poor teams chasing in games constantly and shot attempts? Absolutely! The stats support either narrative, but anyone that came out of yesterday's game thinking that the Flames were the better team didn't watch the same game as I did.
Matched my eye test.

Weak first period, bounce back second, and a Vegas team happy to coast home with a big lead.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 09:31 AM   #5
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought your analysis of what BT might do at the deadline was interesting. Not much in the way of traditional assets to sell. Maybe if Versteeg wasn't hurt.

However, if it truly is a seller's market and Treliving long term wants to move a defenseman for forward help, maybe someone like Brodie gets dealt now for a lucrative haul of picks. Which then become trade currency at the draft.

There must be a lot of teams out there believing they are a Cup contender.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote