Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #41
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’d be 100% in on re-acquiring Gio at the deadline. I’m sure Darryl Sutter would be ok with it too since he was Darryl’s #1 dman upon arrival. Part of me believes Darryl won’t name a captain either because he wants Gio back.

It would be a shame for the team to go on a run without Gio in the locker room. Dude gave everything he had here and is a pillar in the community. He’s still got plenty of game too. Still superb in all zones, all situations and is admired in that locker room. Trying to win it all for Gio would be pretty cool incentive too.

If I was Treliving, I'd try to trade for him before his 1000th game so he can do his silver stick award here.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 11:31 AM   #42
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Not worth the asset cost.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #43
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
There is a really good chance we can acquire Gio in the summer for nothing.

So it makes no sense to throw a 1st round pick away (likely what it would take), to acquire him a few months sooner.

If you want to spend that 1st round pick, upgrade the middle 6 with it.

In case anyone forgot, the Flames are the #1 defensive team in the league right now - #1. There are more pressing areas to upgrade.
Like... scoring?

Another D pair that can complete a stretch pass or make skilled plays in the offensive zone should mean more quality 5 man offense when defensive forwards like Backlund, Coleman, pitlick, etc are out there. They are playing 3v5 out there whenever Zadorov and Gudbranson are in the offensive zone, and the breakout attempts off Zadorov's stick consistently slow down the pace of the game.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:35 AM   #44
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Nope. Adding a skilled right shot centrer or winger is what we need
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #45
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Some of you guys are nuts. If he could be signed for peanuts to finish out his career as a depth defenseman to mentor the young guys on hockey IQ, and you could get rid of Zadorov in the process, I'd do it. "Moving on" isn't a sufficient reason to abandon his leadership skills and relative contributions for his age.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 11:52 AM   #46
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
Would you flip Zadorov + pick for Gio at the deadline?

Every time. But why would Seattle do us a favor like that? I suspect there will be plenty of bidders when the time comes.
BigRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigRed For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #47
flamesgod
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We don’t need him. And Zadorov’s physicality will be very good come playoffs. He fits how Darryl likes to grind down the opponent perfectly.
flamesgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to flamesgod For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #48
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesgod View Post
We don’t need him. And Zadorov’s physicality will be very good come playoffs. He fits how Darryl likes to grind down the opponent perfectly.
Right? I mean its abundantly clear Darryl loves the guy. He might not stick around next year, but he isn't being traded unless the bottom really falls out.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:00 PM   #49
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I would rather spend assets to acquire a forward or two. No disrespect to Giordano, who I think is still pretty good.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 12:12 PM   #50
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather Zadorov pounding guys in the playoffs
Old 12-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #51
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Ask Tkachuk about Zadorov in the playoffs. Pretty effective for the Avs.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:22 PM   #52
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Not worth the asset cost.
Or the cap hit.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #53
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's time to move on.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #54
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard no. Gio would probably be a detriment on this team at the moment. No need for him and the assets could be used to improve the team elsewhere, like up front in the middle or on RW.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 12:53 PM   #55
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can definitely see Gio coming back on trade deadline if the Flames are in a good position to actually contend for the Cup and not just making it into the playoffs only to be knocked out in the first round. The team still haven't name their captain. So, this may actually happen if Kraken wants to do Gio the favor and Flames give up lower round picks.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 12:59 PM   #56
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

We were blessed with an opportunity to start a new chapter. Gio was great but he also represented a period of time here where we saw limited or no success.

I wouldn't have much interest in pulling him back into this when we've already solidified our blue line. Makes no sense.

RS/RW upgrade for third line, or swing for a Forsberg rental. That's it.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:01 PM   #57
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Hard no. Gio would probably be a detriment on this team at the moment. No need for him and the assets could be used to improve the team elsewhere, like up front in the middle or on RW.
How would he be a detriment on this team? The current coach of this team called him this team’s #1 defenseman not that many months ago. He actually demoted Hanifin and ended up playing Gio 25+ minutes a night to end last season. That doesn’t sound like a detriment to me.

Now, I don’t know if Gio should be this team’s #1 anymore, that’s a different question entirely. But as this team’s #4 or #5, he would be rock solid. Elite hockey IQ, tireless work ethic and motor. Can play in all situations and on all the special teams. You can call Mark Giordano a lot of things, but detriment is not one of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 01:08 PM   #58
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
I can definitely see Gio coming back on trade deadline if the Flames are in a good position to actually contend for the Cup and not just making it into the playoffs only to be knocked out in the first round. The team still haven't name their captain. So, this may actually happen if Kraken wants to do Gio the favor and Flames give up lower round picks.
Yep, I could see it. The Flames picks this season, assuming things continue the way they are, will be late, so I’d have no problem trading draft picks. If Gio wants to come back, I’d 100% do it. He could easily manipulate his no trade list to help with the cause as well. But again, I don’t know how he feels about it. He may want to be only here, or maybe he’s willing to try to win anywhere. Does he still hold a grudge? Maybe the team is ok with where it’s at. Lot of unknowns.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:19 PM   #59
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
How would he be a detriment on this team? The current coach of this team called him this team’s #1 defenseman not that many months ago. He actually demoted Hanifin and ended up playing Gio 25+ minutes a night to end last season. That doesn’t sound like a detriment to me.

Now, I don’t know if Gio should be this team’s #1 anymore, that’s a different question entirely. But as this team’s #4 or #5, he would be rock solid. Elite hockey IQ, tireless work ethic and motor. Can play in all situations and on all the special teams. You can call Mark Giordano a lot of things, but detriment is not one of them.
Because he can't play the game at the speed the team needs any more. The wheels have come off, and he doesn't seem like a good fit for this team. Time catches up to everyone, and it caught up with Gio almost two seasons ago. Even in a reduced capacity, I don't see him improving this team.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 01:21 PM   #60
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gio was part of a locker room rift last year, I don't think it would be wise to bring him back
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote