Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-30-2021, 11:20 AM   #41
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post

Agreed that driving a vehicle is the most dangerous thing most of us ever do. But harsher penalties after the fact won’t deter people from driving dangerously. It’s not as though people driving 30k/hr over the limit are considering that they might kill someone, and weighing up the penalty against their impatience. How many drivers even know what the penalty is?

If we want to reduce fatal collisions, we need to enforce speed limits more rigorously.
We should enforce ALL driving rules more rigorously! I don't understand how's there's not more enforcement of driving rules/laws in this city. Not just speeding, but distracted driving. Is it a staffing issue, not only on the police side, but on the traffic court side? Surely the math must work out?
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 11:21 AM   #42
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
We should enforce ALL driving rules more rigorously! I don't understand how's there's not more enforcement of driving rules/laws in this city. Not just speeding, but distracted driving. Is it a staffing issue, not only on the police side, but on the traffic court side? Surely the math must work out?
I wish they'd stop people for not having their lights on or having their high beams on at night.

But then I've seem police vehicles without them on lol.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:25 PM   #43
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob View Post
Tell me about the people who think it's safe to merge onto a 100kph highway going 45kph because they're just getting off at the next exit anyways.

A slew of 100kph cars coming behind them all slamming brakes is very safe, because that 45kph driver is driving within the speed limit and not distracted.

Let's keep handing out licenses like everyone deserves one because they paid somebody, rather than earned one.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jwslam For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 12:29 PM   #44
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Macleod Trail closed again. This time a Stolen Vehicle was involved and someone is in life-threatening condition.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1465425502496190468
https://twitter.com/user/status/1465752205370163200?s=20

Looks like some derelict stole a Minivan and ended up causing a bunch of accidents, culminating with him ending up in hospital.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:34 PM   #45
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1465752205370163200?s=20

Looks like some derelict stole a Minivan and ended up causing a bunch of accidents, culminating with him ending up in hospital.
Remind me why my healthcare dollars are being spent on this guy?
Old 11-30-2021, 02:22 PM   #46
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hippopotamus oats.
Old 12-01-2021, 05:20 PM   #47
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Don’t worry, he’ll probably be let go by crooked/incompetent cops. Calgary cops don’t care about holding drunk drivers who kill innocent people accountable and neither does CPS brass or their union.

All charges related to fatal crash investigation dropped against Calgary officers but police won't say why

Quote:
With no explanation given, all charges were withdrawn Wednesday against three police officers accused of failing in their duties the night a confessed drunk driver killed two pedestrians.

Chris Turner, 25, and Edyta Wal, 23, were crossing Macleod Trail at 90th Avenue S.E. in a crosswalk on Aug. 25, 2012, when they were hit by a Jetta.

At the scene, the man driving that car told at least one officer he'd been drinking and showed physical signs of being impaired, according to the police file.

Still, officers did not demand a breath or blood sample and the man was never charged.
Quote:
The man driving the car told responding officer Maveal that he had consumed a "mickey" (12 ounces) of alcohol to himself, and expressed concern he would go to jail for impaired driving.

He also said at the scene that he'd been travelling 90 km/h in a 60 km/h zone…
Quote:
Not only did police have the driver's own admissions, the police file shows he also showed "impaired judgment and recall of events, vision difficulties, loss of consciousness, difficulties walking and speaking" — all signs of impairment.

"While it is terribly tragic that two young people lost their lives, Const. Maveal conducted a thorough investigation," said the officer's lawyer, Cory Wilson.
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6269708
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 05:55 PM   #48
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Don’t worry, he’ll probably be let go by crooked/incompetent cops. Calgary cops don’t care about holding drunk drivers who kill innocent people accountable and neither does CPS brass or their union.

All charges related to fatal crash investigation dropped against Calgary officers but police won't say why

https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.6269708
Dude. Almost 10 years ago. You need new anecdotes if you want to use it as evidence in your agenda.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Captain Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:09 PM   #49
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Dude. Almost 10 years ago. You need new anecdotes if you want to use it as evidence in your agenda.

Dude. Try reading the article. There are developments in the story. The police are still covering it up 10 years later.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:42 PM   #50
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Dude. Try reading the article. There are developments in the story. The police are still covering it up 10 years later.
I think you need to read that article again. But of course, why would you? It fits your algorithm.

It quite clearly states that charges were withdrawn. It also states that the police will be meeting with the families.

Last edited by Captain Otto; 12-01-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #51
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
I think you need to read that article again. But of course, why would you? It fits your algorithm.

It quite clearly states that charges were withdrawn. It also states that the police will be meeting with the families.

Ok so you read it and just don’t understand it?

Literally the whole point is that the charges were withdrawn and they won’t tell anyone why then said they’d explain it all to the families with a good reason and then just said nothing.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:46 PM   #52
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Ok so you read it and just don’t understand it?

Literally the whole point is that the charges were withdrawn and they won’t tell anyone why then said they’d explain it all to the families with a good reason and then just said nothing.
No I understand it. I'm just not looking for something that's not there to support my agenda.

They actually didn't say nothing. They actually rescheduled it. That's a fact. But saying they dropped the charges and said nothing makes it sound like you want it to. Nice work.

It actually further said that the constable was missing requisite evidence/indicia to issue a breath or blood demand. So ya. Maybe you don't understand?

Although I'm sure if you presented your CV to a court, you'd be recognized as a Google impaired driving expert.

Old 12-01-2021, 08:10 PM   #53
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

This case bothers me as well. How did they lack probable cause, when the driver admitted at the scene to drinking a mickey within the last 4 hours and struck and killed two people.
burn_this_city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:44 PM   #54
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
No I understand it. I'm just not looking for something that's not there to support my agenda.

They actually didn't say nothing. They actually rescheduled it. That's a fact. But saying they dropped the charges and said nothing makes it sound like you want it to. Nice work.

It actually further said that the constable was missing requisite evidence/indicia to issue a breath or blood demand. So ya. Maybe you don't understand?

Although I'm sure if you presented your CV to a court, you'd be recognized as a Google impaired driving expert.

Was this you or something? Why so defensive?

I think it’s perfectly fair to criticise CPS here, both for their treatment of the original incident, withdrawing the charges against the officers, and the repeated delaying and avoidance in explaining why that is. The family deserves more than being brushed off, at very least.

Sometimes it’s actually ok to be critical of the police. You seem to have trouble accepting that the reasonable circumstances for doing so are not as narrow as you’d like.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:07 PM   #55
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Was this you or something? Why so defensive?

I think it’s perfectly fair to criticise CPS here, both for their treatment of the original incident, withdrawing the charges against the officers, and the repeated delaying and avoidance in explaining why that is. The family deserves more than being brushed off, at very least.

Sometimes it’s actually ok to be critical of the police. You seem to have trouble accepting that the reasonable circumstances for doing so are not as narrow as you’d like.
Absolutely. Be critical or at least question. But also have some awareness of your bias and consider that what might be reported in a news article can't possibly do justice to what is likely a pretty complex situation and is most likely not representative of an entire profession.

Nothing in that article says that they were incompetent nor corrupt, yet good ole Cec takes it in that direction every single time. As I said, call the police out if you know something to be amiss but by the same token, call out a guy like Cec who spins anecdotal news articles into the condemnation of an entire group.

Pretty tough to have a conversation with someone like that.

I have close family in law enforcement and they are good people. They worked/work hard and have done some amazing, selfless things throughout their careers. I am not painting them as anything other then civil servants who have done their job tirelessly and thanklessly and I don't think they deserve to be branded as being corrupt or incompetent - it couldn't be further from the truth.

Last edited by Captain Otto; 12-01-2021 at 11:24 PM.
Old 12-02-2021, 08:20 AM   #56
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Update on the OP suspect/driver.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...edgdhp&pc=U531

Makes you wonder about people who shouldn't even be driving.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:47 AM   #57
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by macman View Post
update on the op suspect/driver.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canad...edgdhp&pc=u531

makes you wonder about people who shouldn't even be living among us.
ftfy
Old 12-02-2021, 11:35 AM   #58
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I think the issue is that there are just so many serious ethical issues of police brutality and abuse, and people are wondering how the good guys keep doing so much bad stuff.

I totally agree that there are many good people that work in law enforcement. But for me, I can't understand how 'good people' allow bad apples in law enforcement to persist.

The only thing I can process is that these 'Good people' maybe aren't as good as I thought they were. Sure they try their best to be good police officers, but they are complicit in allowing these terrible issue to persist because they won't speak up.

I think most people think "If I was a police officer I'd be livid and trying to clean this up", but nothing seems to be happening...

Quote:
Absolutely. Be critical or at least question. But also have some awareness of your bias and consider that what might be reported in a news article can't possibly do justice to what is likely a pretty complex situation and is most likely not representative of an entire profession.

Nothing in that article says that they were incompetent nor corrupt, yet good ole Cec takes it in that direction every single time. As I said, call the police out if you know something to be amiss but by the same token, call out a guy like Cec who spins anecdotal news articles into the condemnation of an entire group.

Pretty tough to have a conversation with someone like that.

I have close family in law enforcement and they are good people. They worked/work hard and have done some amazing, selfless things throughout their careers. I am not painting them as anything other then civil servants who have done their job tirelessly and thanklessly and I don't think they deserve to be branded as being corrupt or incompetent - it couldn't be further from the truth.

marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #59
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surely many of us have worked in departments or groups where there are several types of people including slackers, #######s, incompetents, etc. It always amazes me that people are surprised that a portion of the 2000 officers employed by Calgary's police force would fall under those character types.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #60
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Surely many of us have worked in departments or groups where there are several types of people including slackers, #######s, incompetents, etc. It always amazes me that people are surprised that a portion of the 2000 officers employed by Calgary's police force would fall under those character types.
Don't confuse surprise with vehemently holding a group that wields some of the highest power in the land to an extremely high account.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: