Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-30-2021, 02:46 PM   #101
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Please go start a book comparison thread if you’d like to discuss the books.

Also spoiler all those posts.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 07:24 PM   #102
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Just saw it and thought it was incredible. Felt epic in every sense of the word.

My only major complaint was how many hushed dialogue scenes were impossible to hear what was being said. For the most part the context seemed to imply the words weren't important other than conveying that they were praying for safety for example, but I would have gladly watched it with subtitles on instead.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 07:44 PM   #103
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rebecca Ferguson was especially bad for this.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 01:41 PM   #104
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Some of this Dune speak doesn't sound like Cinema-only discussion.

Unless said dinner scene was in the original films.

Sorry!

I was simply referencing oldschoolcalgary's post about the possibility of that scene being in the movie but cut for the theatrical release. Got excited! Just a big fan of the book and the movie.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 01:48 PM   #105
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

I quite enjoyed it - Imax version. Thought it was pretty faithful to the medium that shall not be named in this thread. Difficult to do the multitude of all the characters justice in a film. I was happy with the casting.

For reference, I disliked the David Lynch version and liked the British mini-series.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 03:15 PM   #106
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Just saw it and thought it was great. I've been on a sci-fi book run for the last 2 years and plan on reading this next.

For those of you who have read the books what is the complete series? I saw Herbert wrote 6 but then his son finished the series after he died? What books are required reading to get the complete story?
These are the six that Frank Herbert wrote.

Dune
Dune Messiah.
Children of Dune
God Emperor of Dune
Heretics of Dune
Chapterhouse: Dune

This link includes all the ones written by his son and Kevin Anderson, as well.

https://wottaread.com/dune-reading-order/
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 07:53 PM   #107
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

As the Bene Gesserit would say, Kevin Anderson's books are Abomination
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2021, 12:17 AM   #108
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
At least KJA's consistent. I read his Star Wars work as a kid and enjoyed them (much like I thought Superman IV: The Quest for Peace was a masterpiece when I was a kid.) But my god, don't rewatch or reread those as an adult
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:09 AM   #109
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
My only issue is that there are certain characters/plot threads that Frank Herbert lay down that were pretty big and the Brian Herbert/KJA books seem to handle them in ways that don't make any sense or seem to retcon Frank Herbert so they can replace it with their own ideas. There are tons of discrepancies in the prequels as well which kind of remind of how the Star Wars prequels take known concepts and characters and give them nonsensical backstories.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 11-04-2021 at 07:35 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2021, 05:54 PM   #110
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Really liked it. Have to admit I found that last scene really dragged though. Very odd choice to end the movie with a slow and drawn out scene like that after already having played over 2 hours of film.

The scene itself was pretty great on it's own though. At that point my endurance (and bladder) was being tested.

Edit: Just read through this thread. Don't get the complaints at all. No character development? The film was basically one long bit of character development for Paul. I felt that the amount of time given to side characters, who mostly perished, was appropriate.

Nothing happened? There was a very large battle right near the end. The film was up to that point was all tension leading up to that battle.

Last edited by blankall; 11-04-2021 at 05:57 PM.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2021, 06:43 PM   #111
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

went and caught the movie in IMAX 2d last night with some friends, we all agreed it looked lovely, the film is intentionally filmed in a softish focus which is very arty but made the whole IMAX part a bit less effective.

We all enjoyed it, found it strange to be waiting for lines from the book/previous movie to be repeated verbatum at times (and as they were predictable it was partly distracting partly a fun party game), the film was also clearly struggling to balance the visual influence of David Lynch's movie, the whole steampunk esthetic that it at times dipped into and it was at times trying to avoid

On the whole liked it but I am getting too old as I kept thinking that I would enjoy this just as much at home on the couch with a scotch and the volume kept to a less painful level.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2021, 09:38 AM   #112
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
went and caught the movie in IMAX 2d last night with some friends, we all agreed it looked lovely, the film is intentionally filmed in a softish focus which is very arty but made the whole IMAX part a bit less effective.

We all enjoyed it, found it strange to be waiting for lines from the book/previous movie to be repeated verbatum at times (and as they were predictable it was partly distracting partly a fun party game), the film was also clearly struggling to balance the visual influence of David Lynch's movie, the whole steampunk esthetic that it at times dipped into and it was at times trying to avoid

On the whole liked it but I am getting too old as I kept thinking that I would enjoy this just as much at home on the couch with a scotch and the volume kept to a less painful level.
Yeah, not sure what was up with the volume...they had the dial up to the proverbial 11...even during the trailers/commercials beforehand.

As for continuity with the novel, I think that's a nod to the book fans, as many would probably not be happy if certain things were not included... "Fear is the mind killer" is kinda the seminal line so you knew that was going to be in there...

the process they used is pretty interesting...some of that soft focus may have been a result of how it was shot...

Quote:
During original test shots, Fraser and Villeneuve shot on 35mm film, IMAX film and on digital.

Production company Legendary Pictures gave Villeneuve carte blanche to shoot in any format he wished but advised digital would be the easiest since he would be working on location where labs, couriers and other factors could hinder him from getting dailies.

Fraser admits he had been excited about the process of using film. “I fully expected to love IMAX film or even 35mm anamorphic, but I didn’t love it as much as digital,” he says.

Ultimately, the movie needed to feel contemporary and not nostalgic. To achieve that, Fraser worked with L.A.’s FotoKem, one of the only digital labs that also processes film. “I went to them asking what if we shot digitally, spit it out to film and scan it back in. That way, we’re not originating in film, but we are involving it in the process, and it adds that analog component.”
https://variety.com/2021/artisans/ne...ve-1235087999/
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2021, 10:52 AM   #113
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Did you know that Iron Maiden's song "To Tame a Land" is a completely a song about Dune?

It was originally to be titled Dune until the rights were denied by Frank Herbert.

Old 11-10-2021, 12:15 AM   #114
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it tonight, actually read the book earlier this year. I thought it was a phenomenal cinematic experience and one of the best sci-fi/fantasy movies I've seen in years. The sound and visuals were superb, the pacing of the story was fantastic, never a dull moment, and I loved the overall tone of the movie, the level of seriousness and weight felt just right. Really well done, I was sort of luke warm excited to see it, but it blew away my expectations. Really looking forward to the next part.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994

Last edited by Igottago; 11-10-2021 at 12:18 AM.
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 07:35 AM   #115
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Took my wife and kids (third showing for me) and they loved it.

They all mentioned however that subtitles would have been handy for some of the scenes as they couldn't make out what was being said. The scene with the box for instance - Jessica is reciting the "fear is the mind killer" mantra but unless you know it, it's almost impossible to make out the words.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #116
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I noticed on HBO crave that the 1984 Lynch movie was on their trending for most watched. I wonder if this is a lot of people wanting to know the conclusion so they are watching the original film which is known to have a nonsensical ending. I hope that doesn't lower their expectations for the Villeneuve sequel.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:34 AM   #117
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Boy are they going to pissed when they find out it's not going to be Sting in a bikini brief.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:31 PM   #118
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

"I will kill you"

His acting was sooooooo bad. He looks hilarious trying to be the buff tough guy haha.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 06:59 AM   #119
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

What really blew me away were the Visuals, scope, use of contrast, depth of field, lighting and atmosphere were among some of the best uses I've seen in film in a long time.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 01:00 PM   #120
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...FXMS1DUmNiUnR3

This kinda came from the crypto thread, but belongs here. Background, kinda:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpo...postcount=1947
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote