Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-11-2021, 12:57 PM   #1
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default What If...? (Marvel/Disney+)

The new Marvel series What If...? premiered today, starting with Captain Carter.

This was personally my most anticipated of the series that were announced for Phase 4, and I'm impressed. This is going to be a lot of fun, and knowing that it will play some role in the MCU going forward, as opposed to a one-off fascination, gives it that much more impact.

The storytelling is clearly much different than we're normally used to, as you would expect it to be. However, I'm all in after the first episode.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 06:50 PM   #2
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah that was a lot of fun. I was already looking forward to it but when I found out that there might be characters from this that get pulled into the main movies that's even more interesting!

I don't think they'd be very entertaining for someone who hasn't consumed most of Marvel's stuff.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2021, 08:14 PM   #3
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was fun. Agreed this seems more for the hardcore Marvel fan as it had a comic book feel with a lot of references.

I really liked the fast pace and telling a story in 30 minutes that was originally 2 hours without hurting any of the emotional pay offs. They also made good use of the animation having both an air force battle and giant tentacle monster in the same episode, something that wouldn't have been practical with live action. Nice to hear Hayley Atwell and Sebastian Stan but interesting they couldn't get Chris Evans.

To answer the question What if... Captain Carter were the first Avenger?:

Spoiler!
Old 08-11-2021, 08:29 PM   #4
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
That was fun. Agreed this seems more for the hardcore Marvel fan as it had a comic book feel with a lot of references.

I really liked the fast pace and telling a story in 30 minutes that was originally 2 hours without hurting any of the emotional pay offs. They also made good use of the animation having both an air force battle and giant tentacle monster in the same episode, something that wouldn't have been practical with live action. Nice to hear Hayley Atwell and Sebastian Stan but interesting they couldn't get Chris Evans.

To answer the question What if... Captain Carter were the first Avenger?:

Spoiler!
I'm going to forego any spoiler tags. An official thread for a series presumes you have watched and are now prepared to discuss.

We didn't see a resolution regarding Bucky. We didn't see a resolution for anyone apart from Captain Carter re-emerging from the Tesseract. This leaves it as entirely open as it did when Steve Rogers emerged from the frost.

All I know is that I am already entirely invested in Captain Carter. Damn that's a fun alternative to explore in the MCU, especially since the Agent Carter series never had the opportunity to achieve its potential.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 09:40 AM   #5
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Captain Carter in the live action movies would be great.

Of course I'll probably say that about the focus of every episode.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2021, 02:42 PM   #6
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

It just occurred to me this morning that
Spoiler!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 04:27 PM   #7
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

It was good. Animation style is pleasing, the pace is fast but refreshing and the action sequences were very well done.

It is weird seeing a bit of a mix of original voices and new ones, but I can get past that for this episode. The episode with Tony Stark will probably pull me right out of it though.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:17 PM   #8
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Spoiler!
I originally was thinking the Abilisk from GoG Vol2.
But I don't think that one had suction cups.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:44 PM   #9
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

I liked it and I look forward to the next one.
Great to see/ hear so many original voices. Sad however that the next episode will have Chadwick Boseman’s last piece of work for Marvel.
Timbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 10:04 AM   #10
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Spoiler!
Shuma-Gorath would fit the bill better than anything. Here's a wiki link on it:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shum...rank%20Brunner.

I loved the Captain Carter episode. She was definitely more aggressive than Rogers was and it makes sense, she was a more trained soldier before under going the super soldier process.

I also really like the animation style now that I have seen it in action, not really cell shading, not really 2D or 3D, but a nice mix. It made the fight scenes great to watch.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 05:23 PM   #11
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It was okay,

The best what-ifs usually involved much more divergent stories.

In this one both Captain Carter and Steve Rogers have the same moral code and made the same decisions in the same situations so there wasn’t that significant change in outcome.

More interesting would have been someone much less selfless like Howard Stark getting the serum.

The other problem I had was it felt almost like a plot summary on Wikipedia rather than its own show. It very quickly hit all the Captain America story beats then had the ending battle.

One thing I did really like was the Steve / Peggy relationship still happens having Peggy love Steve for being Steve.

Last edited by GGG; 08-13-2021 at 05:26 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 06:19 PM   #12
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the idea of this series building on the idea of the multiverse in Marvel media better than I like the idea of this series introducing future movie characters. Guess only time will tell.

What If? has always been a fun premise. Just hope it keeps things light and fun and largely self contained instead of getting in its own way.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
I like the idea of this series building on the idea of the multiverse in Marvel media better than I like the idea of this series introducing future movie characters. Guess only time will tell.

What If? has always been a fun premise. Just hope it keeps things light and fun and largely self contained instead of getting in its own way.
Yeah, the whole point of the What If comics was to play outside the fence and disregard continuity and canon. What If Phoenix had not died. What If the Avengers didn’t kill Korvac. Crazy, silly stuff. Though I doubt we’ll ever see Disney do one of my favourites - What If Conan was sent to the 20th century. Turns out he would be a gang leader and a pimp, which sounds about right.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2021, 08:50 PM   #14
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Yeah, the whole point of the What If comics was to play outside the fence and disregard continuity and canon. What If Phoenix had not died. What If the Avengers didn’t kill Korvac. Crazy, silly stuff. Though I doubt we’ll ever see Disney do one of my favourites - What If Conan was sent to the 20th century. Turns out he would be a gang leader and a pimp, which sounds about right.
What if Thor killed the Hulk, is my favorite what if comic. But it soundslike the series is going to go some crazy places such as zombie hunter Spider-Man. Maybe not pimp Conan but still sounds fun.
Old 08-13-2021, 09:55 PM   #15
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It seems to be just MCU What if? with only characters and storylines from the movies and shows. I don't think we'll even see Spider-man.

The zombie one seems to be the only really "out there" concept.

Some of the best What if? comics included the X-Men, Fantastic Four, Dr. Doom and Punisher. Hopefully we'll get some of those when those characters are moved into the MCU.

It'll be a while before we see what would happen if Dazzler had become the herald of Galactus.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2021, 11:10 PM   #16
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
It seems to be just MCU What if? with only characters and storylines from the movies and shows. I don't think we'll even see Spider-man.

https://www.sideshow.com/collectible...ot-toys-909046

It's happening.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2021, 12:57 AM   #17
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Well I'm hooked, Captain Carter was great. It seems like the fan reaction is really high as well. This series could be a goldmine for Disney, throw all kinds of crazy ideas at the wall, wait to see which ones are most popular and then bring them into the main MCU. I hope this isn't the last we see of Captain Carter, it'd be awesome to see Haley Atwell kicking some ass on the big screen
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2021, 09:11 AM   #18
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Well that was really fun. Interesting how a big chain reaction that would set off.

Bucky doesn’t become the Winter Soldier
The winter soldier doesn’t kill Howard stark
Obidiah Stane doesn’t take over Stark industries while Tony’s young
Ironman wouldn’t exist.
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2021, 09:22 AM   #19
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tony Stark as Iron Man wouldn't exist...probably. Looks like Iron Man would exist in one way or another after Howard built the suit for Steve in WW2.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #20
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Episode 2 took things up a notch with a far different timeline and was a worthy conclusion for Chadwick Boseman.

Ravager Thanos was great. Who knew he just needed a friend? The ending with Nebula as the embarrassed daughter was hilarious. I also liked all the shade indirectly thrown at Quill.