Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-02-2021, 07:51 PM   #3661
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
No one said the Flames aren't strong at 5 on 5 this season.

They just aren't 66% Goal share strong. Zero chance that persists.

It'll fall big time in the coming weeks.
As opposed to getting outshot, outchanced, and outplayed every night but still winning - now that is a sustainable strategy, amirite?
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 09:28 PM   #3662
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Then you should be terrified of a serious drop by the Oilers in the coming week. Pretty much all signs point to it. I expect that the Oilers fall will be bigger and more spectacular then any fall by the Flames who seem to be playing a style suitable to their numbers.

The Oilers for all of their gaudy points are still what, only 8 points from being out of the playoffs. I can see that slide coming, and Connor demanding a trade by the deadline. Yes sir, he's going to leave Edmonton like an Olympic diver throwing himself off of a diving board.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 07:27 AM   #3663
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbull8 View Post

I'll leave this "non-call" here...embarassing
I love how he crosschecks Kapanen in the defensive zone while Kapanen is down and out of the play.

I thought we were calling everything now? Nope.

When Connor commits an infraction the opposition is “dropped to the surface”

Shocking that there is no replay of Connor committing interference.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:06 AM   #3664
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

Well I went into expected goals for and against per 60, and they're top 7 in the league in both.

They have room to tumble compared to most teams, and certainly Edmonton.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:51 AM   #3665
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Is anyone else legitimately impressed with the user OilStain? The guy has been so slippery with his posts the last week. Dodge, dip and diving every argument that comes his way, changing at a moments notice if it doesn't fit his narrative, flipping it so a negative is a positive then reversing it if needed.
Old 12-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #3666
bzoo02
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
Is anyone else legitimately impressed with the user OilStain? The guy has been so slippery with his posts the last week. Dodge, dip and diving every argument that comes his way, changing at a moments notice if it doesn't fit his narrative, flipping it so a negative is a positive then reversing it if needed.
He should work for Fox News
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #3667
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Well I went into expected goals for and against per 60, and they're top 7 in the league in both.

They have room to tumble compared to most teams, and certainly Edmonton.
If we're talking modelling, then it stands to reason that one could add an "FP" factor - franchise player. Take all the stats and multiply it by the FP factor. Perhaps McZombie adds 0.3 to all stats. He's like a bonus roll in D&D.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:04 AM   #3668
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I like OilStain, he's the rare guy that's just up for a fight.

Part of me has sympathy for him when the Oilers start to slide as their easy schedule slide and factors catch up on the Oilers.

Its got to be frustrating for them, for all of their vaunted hype, for all of the media screaming the Oilers praises and following the ludicris every penalty call should go the Oilers way. That in the deep dark night, in the hour of the Wolf where he lies awake in a cold sweat and he looks at the NHL standings for comfort and realizes that the Flames are ahead of them, have been hotter over the last 10 games and that the Oilers really and truly are the third best team in Canada behind the Oilers and the Leafs.

and the Wolf howls.
You sit there and you thump your Bible, and you say your prayers, and it didnít get you anywhere. Talk about your psalms, talk about John 3:16Ö
Old 12-03-2021, 10:05 AM   #3669
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
If we're talking modelling, then it stands to reason that one could add an "FP" factor - franchise player. Take all the stats and multiply it by the FP factor. Perhaps McZombie adds 0.3 to all stats. He's like a bonus roll in D&D.

And what happens in D&D? Your party is doing well, killing everything, collecting loot, and then your mage rolls a 1 and is killed by gopher bite.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #3670
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tee hee.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:32 AM   #3671
Macindoc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I think it's sufficient to respond critically with objective evidence to their posts, commenting on the poster never seems to end well.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:35 AM   #3672
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You forgot ducking and dodging :d
Old 12-03-2021, 10:40 AM   #3673
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oil Stain is an okay guy. His team is doing well so he's enjoying it. Hey, I would too. Wheels are going to fall off soon enough for them.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:12 AM   #3674
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Dom at the Athletic has the Oilers ranked 7th in power rankings ...

Quote:
Dom: The Oilers are 16-5-0 and owners of the best points percentage in hockey. Naturally, we have them… seventh. Remember, these aren’t the Power Standings. While this team is an absolute wagon on the power play and has been getting great results on the penalty kill, those five-on-five numbers are very paper-tigery. The team is not only at 49 percent for expected goals, but actual goals too. When fully healthy they should be fine, with special teams capable of carrying them to a strong record — but it’s hard to get as excited about them as the other teams. That record is going to come down unless they get their even-strength game in shape.
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 11:14 AM   #3675
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macindoc View Post
I think it's sufficient to respond critically with objective evidence to their posts, commenting on the poster never seems to end well.
Many posters have don't just that and Oil Stain has managed to move the goal posts, move the field than change the sport. It was a compliment.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:23 AM   #3676
djsFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Must be hard to like advanced stats as an oiler fan when they consistently confirm that you're overrated and mediocre beneath the surface.
djsFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:02 PM   #3677
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Calgary 4th!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:53 PM   #3678
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I get it. You want your team to show all the naysayers wrong and push against the narrative. It's hard to accept that it might be a smokescreen hiding the truth. The problem here is that we're talking about the consistently mediocre Oilers here, so there's no smokescreen. It's just a cheap Walmart shower curtain. A clear, stiff plastic shower curtain that looks gross after a week. Everyone can see through the Oilers.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 02:46 PM   #3679
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So a friend of mine who's an Oilers fan and me were talking about Lucic, and he basically said Lucic's production doesn't matter because the Oilers have won the deal walking away because them buying out Neal's contract allowed them to get Hymen.

So after my jaw dropped I pointed out that they're paring Neal 1.9 million for the next 4 years and Lucic $750k for the next two. So for the next 2 years they're paying Hyman his salary of 5.5 +lucic + Hyman for over 8 million bucks a year. Then the 2 years after that they're paying him salary + neal or about 7.4 million.

Now Hyman is a nice player, but that's a lot of chedder for a second liner with a playstyle that can lead to a fast decline.
Old 12-03-2021, 03:00 PM   #3680
Macho0978
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
7th and no mention of strength of schedule so far either. They get Seattle again tonight too. I really think this is a huge factor to their start to the season. They have won some games where they looked bad but bad teams struggle to contain McDavid and Draisaitl. I can't wait to see how they do down the stretch. Their schedule after the Olympic break looks tough
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote