Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-18-2020, 02:29 PM   #1
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:
Default If you’re not watching Ted Lasso...

...you’re watching the wrong TV shows.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 04:35 PM   #2
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

... you have a life.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 05:53 PM   #3
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

...you don't have Apple TV.
Old 09-18-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

It's a really good show. Sudeikis is great as the coach and the rest of the cast are too. I love British comedy so it's really struck a chord for me.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I saw the first minute of the ad with Jose Mourinho and couldn’t tell if this was for a TV show or a strange EPL promotion. Turns out it is a show.
Old 09-18-2020, 08:09 PM   #6
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Old 09-19-2020, 08:12 AM   #7
Captain Otto
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Boooooo Apple TV only!!!! Hiisssss!!
Captain Otto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 11:16 AM   #8
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

It’s cliched at times but I’m enjoying it.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 02:08 AM   #9
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Sometimes there's a man... I won't say a hero, 'cause, what's a hero? But sometimes, there's a man. And I'm talkin' about Ted Lasso here. Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there, where, for a multitude of reasons, too few see fit to fit. And that's Ted Lasso, in our society with all of its context and baggage, right here in the year of 2020.

#### it, he’s pretty much a hero right now
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2020, 10:40 AM   #10
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is easily my favorite show at the moment. It's a relentlessly optimistic show in a sea of stories these days centered around anti-heroes.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sketchyt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 12:08 AM   #11
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

It's definitely only sort of funny but I absolutely love it strictly because of how heartwarming it is. Very much needed when the world feels like a very dark place lately.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2020, 10:25 AM   #12
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll echo some of the comments. It's not a comedy really...it's like a 30 minute show to help inspire you to be better to yourself and those around you. It's very heart warming and there are some funny bits thrown in there every so often.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 09:27 AM   #13
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Old 09-30-2020, 11:26 AM   #14
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Should note that this show is produced and developed by Bill Lawrence of Scrubs... in the event anyone was a fan of that show.

Also, some of you might also have a free year of Apple TV. Open the app and check.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:05 PM   #15
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Main thing that should be stated: it isn't the same Ted Lasso from the NBC Sports sketches. They get a lot of the jokes out of the way early, but they're with a different character. Sudeikis is great in it and the change in character is great.

It's a similar character. Same actor, accent, look, but not the same Ted Lasso. It was my biggest deterrent, but after seeing Bill Lawrence being a part of it, having the free Apple TV trial, after seeing a couple key reviews, I gave it a shot. It's wonderful.

It might repeat some things said in this thread, some things said in reviews, but I think they're all correct:

- aggressively endearing
- relentlessly optimistic
- heartwarming
- better than the concept deserves to be

They all encapsulate it. NBC sketch Ted Lasso was an arrogant and ignorant American. 'Ted Lasso' Ted Lasso is adorably curious and tremendously endearing. We want this Ted Lasso in our life. We need this Ted Lasso in our lives. But we might not deserve this Ted Lasso in our lives. As is said in the show 'you can't help but root for him.'

The other characters are based on some typical sports cliches we've seen in so many sports movies (Major League, Bull Durham in particular), but they quickly shake these archetypes and become well rounded, complex characters. It is presented as a sigh out of water cliche sports story, but it's all a facade. It's much more than that.

The concept is ridiculous. It feeds off cliches. It's unrealistic. But it just works and doesn't feel like any of it is a problem.

It just works. I love this show, and I didn't expect to make it halfway through the first episode. It truly is the kind of show we need right now.

Last edited by Roughneck; 09-30-2020 at 11:16 PM.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 11:25 PM   #16
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

All that, and one of the catchiest theme songs in recent memory...

Old 10-01-2020, 07:38 AM   #17
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's a great show.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 03:12 PM   #18
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Main thing that should be stated: it isn't the same Ted Lasso from the NBC Sports sketches. They get a lot of the jokes out of the way early, but they're with a different character. Sudeikis is great in it and the change in character is great.

It's a similar character. Same actor, accent, look, but not the same Ted Lasso. It was my biggest deterrent, but after seeing Bill Lawrence being a part of it, having the free Apple TV trial, after seeing a couple key reviews, I gave it a shot. It's wonderful.

It might repeat some things said in this thread, some things said in reviews, but I think they're all correct:

- aggressively endearing
- relentlessly optimistic
- heartwarming
- better than the concept deserves to be

They all encapsulate it. NBC sketch Ted Lasso was an arrogant and ignorant American. 'Ted Lasso' Ted Lasso is adorably curious and tremendously endearing. We want this Ted Lasso in our life. We need this Ted Lasso in our lives. But we might not deserve this Ted Lasso in our lives. As is said in the show 'you can't help but root for him.'

The other characters are based on some typical sports cliches we've seen in so many sports movies (Major League, Bull Durham in particular), but they quickly shake these archetypes and become well rounded, complex characters. It is presented as a sigh out of water cliche sports story, but it's all a facade. It's much more than that.

The concept is ridiculous. It feeds off cliches. It's unrealistic. But it just works and doesn't feel like any of it is a problem.

It just works. I love this show, and I didn't expect to make it halfway through the first episode. It truly is the kind of show we need right now.
Thanks for explaining this. I noticed NBS Sports in the credits but I never saw any of those bits so I wasn't sure of Lasso's origin. He's definitely a funny, sympathetic character so I agree that people shouldn't skip the show if they hated him on NBC.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:36 PM   #19
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

This show has some of the best writing in a long time, too.

Ted Lasso: Sounds to me like someone’s trapped inside life’s most complicated shape: a love-triangle. Second place of course is the “I-just-walked-in-on-my-mother-in-law-changing-into-her-swimsuit-dodecahedron."
Roy Kent: Does my face look like it's in the mood for shape-based jokes?
Ted Lasso: No Roy, it does not. But in my defence, it rarely does.

It's like some kind of crazy Aaron Sorkin / Douglas Adams team-up that I never knew I always wanted.
Old 10-02-2020, 10:51 PM   #20
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Man I just want a team talk from Ted.

'The idea behind every trick play is to have chaos rain down upon your opponents, and stun them! Much like the lava did to those poor folks in Pompeii.'
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post: