Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2020, 05:36 PM   #41
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Do those Will kits at Staples hold any water?
Yes they do

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 01:29 PM   #42
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
This a thousand times, audio, especially second hand is a small niche area, and Calgary and Vancouver are two cities where if you have half a brain you make sure you have a contact in your opposite city, you pass clients on to them and they back to you.

He may not be a dick but he is a moron, he isnt losing any business because it wasnt there in the first place, what he has done though is lost a potential referral from a grateful shop in Vancouver (well Surrey, again go to Innovative Audio) returning a favour and the possibility that he builds a good reputation and more referrals from people in Calgary, this story could just as easily be in the 'hey I found a great shop, you guys should go there' than in the 'Hey guys was he being a dick?' section.

Thought I'd follow up here. Thanks for recommending these guys. I contacted IA and actually had a very pleasant conversation with him over the phone about what to do with these things, and some other items that we still have (reocrds, 8-tracks, etc).
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 02:45 PM   #43
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Thought I'd follow up here. Thanks for recommending these guys. I contacted IA and actually had a very pleasant conversation with him over the phone about what to do with these things, and some other items that we still have (reocrds, 8-tracks, etc).
They have always been a pleasure to deal with, I cannot recommend them highly enough
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:22 PM   #44
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Potential Client: Can you notarize my home-made-will I prepared myself?

Short answer: No.
I think we need to hear the long version of your answer to decide who is the a$$h0$% here.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 07:35 PM   #45
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I think we need to hear the long version of your answer to decide who is the a$$h0$% here.
1. A Will does not have to be notarized - it can be witnessed by any two adults who are not beneficiaries.

2. The person who used the will kit has decided they do not value legal services, but at the same time want their will legitimized by a lawyer.

3. For liability reasons we do not want our name on a document we did not prepare, even if no advice was given.

4. It would cost a person much more for a lawyer to review and critique the home made will, than it would cost to have the lawyer draft a will from the outset.

5. Home made wills are constantly deficient or void, causing the estate to pay lawyers large legal fees to fix the problems.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-26-2020, 07:38 PM   #46
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

wills are like prenups, if they don't get challenged they're golden but once the kids start arguing everything ends up in the air
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 08:04 PM   #47
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
1. A Will does not have to be notarized - it can be witnessed by any two adults who are not beneficiaries.

2. The person who used the will kit has decided they do not value legal services, but at the same time want their will legitimized by a lawyer.

3. For liability reasons we do not want our name on a document we did not prepare, even if no advice was given.

4. It would cost a person much more for a lawyer to review and critique the home made will, than it would cost to have the lawyer draft a will from the outset.

5. Home made wills are constantly deficient or void, causing the estate to pay lawyers large legal fees to fix the problems.
That was illuminating but not quite as entertaining as I was hoping. I vote not an as$&$£

But I already have a will (done properly by a lawyer) so I'm mostly in this for amusement.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 12:45 AM   #48
RoadGame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Question for the group. Tonight my 5 year old got car sick and barfed all over. We were 3 hours and 20 minutes into a 3 hour and 30 minute drive (@&$-_+@-_:#+#+#!!!!) But I digress. Also, While unloading the car at the destination the cap on a bottle of Dageraad Blonde was struck, spraying (delicious) beer all over the inside of the trunk, which by the time we return to Calgary will have undoubtedly made the back of my car smell like a bottle depot.

Now I'm sure the folks at one of Calgary's detailing shops are nice people but their services don't come cheap, so any thoughts on what prep may be required so that I don't cross into AH territory when delivering my stinkmobile to them for remediation sometime in July.
RoadGame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:28 AM   #49
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Ongoing "Am I the %^&hole?" Thread

I would say that the 5 yr old is definitely NAH. They could have puked 20 minutes into a 3:30 car ride, but instead only made you endure it for the last few minutes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 06-27-2020, 02:11 AM   #50
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
It's possible that his exasperation isn't in a vacuum with you. It's possible something else happened and you just kinda wandered in at the wrong time and he blew up. Sure, as a business you're kinda expected to grin and bear it, but with Covid, it's possible he's dealing with a lot of dead ends and people basically wasting his time and/or other unrelated powder kegs just waiting to go off.

I think most of us agree you can walk back into the world with the understanding it was a bit of a misunderstanding and no one was being an ass on purpose. Most of us would probably quickly forget about an exchange like this, but if it's still really bugging you, I guess you can leave a positive review or something like that along the lines of, "This dude spent the time to have a detailed and informative discussion with me about some equipment. I didn't end up completing a transaction with him, but I don't have issues saying he's knows his stuff." and then emailing him again to further your apology and thanking him for his time?

Great response and one I’m going to use in the future.
Barnet Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #51
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I had a similar type incident with Wheel Pro on Edmonton trail a few years ago. I received some nice looking rims with a used car I bought, but didn't want to buy the needed new tires, so I went back to stock.

So I went in there very innocently and wide eyed to the world of aftermarket rims. Wanted to check out the world of aftermarket rims in person. These had no markings that I could see and some logo I couldn't identify online. I wasn't even asking for appraisal just quick help identifying and the guy was noticeably pissed.

Right in front of two other customers he flippantly blew me off with a "well, I could do your work for you for free, it would involve me taking that rim and going and looking it up with my time, or....". I walked away really embarrassed. On one hand I do now understand they can't be a free appraiser/identifier on the other hand I went in there polite and genuine and was proverbially flipped off, and now that I'm looking to grab new rims for a new car Wheel Pro can get ****ed.

Am I the A-hole here?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #52
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

^#### that guy. UrbanX has the answers you seek, they have no problem answering questions
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:50 PM   #53
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I had a similar type incident with Wheel Pro on Edmonton trail a few years ago. I received some nice looking rims with a used car I bought, but didn't want to buy the needed new tires, so I went back to stock.

So I went in there very innocently and wide eyed to the world of aftermarket rims. Wanted to check out the world of aftermarket rims in person. These had no markings that I could see and some logo I couldn't identify online. I wasn't even asking for appraisal just quick help identifying and the guy was noticeably pissed.

Right in front of two other customers he flippantly blew me off with a "well, I could do your work for you for free, it would involve me taking that rim and going and looking it up with my time, or....". I walked away really embarrassed. On one hand I do now understand they can't be a free appraiser/identifier on the other hand I went in there polite and genuine and was proverbially flipped off, and now that I'm looking to grab new rims for a new car Wheel Pro can get ****ed.

Am I the A-hole here?
That seems like a NTA to me, with the slight caveat that he MAY have misunderstood what you are asking. He might have thought you were asking for an appraisal and not just an identification. Most car guys I know would love to be able to show off their knowledge by ID'ing something from sight like that and it's quick and easy. So it MAY have been a miscommunication, but he was TA for acting how he did. You are NTA for looking for help.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 09:11 AM   #54
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
^#### that guy. UrbanX has the answers you seek, they have no problem answering questions
Second this. UrbanX has always been great to me.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 11:25 AM   #55
Igotnothing
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Second this. UrbanX has always been great to me.
Third this, I've always had a great experience with these guys. As a result, I make sure I refer people looking to buy tires to them.
Igotnothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:56 PM   #56
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Hey what's the protocol when you're at the driving range and the guy is driving around picking up balls? Do you aim for him, or shoot away from him?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 12:57 PM   #57
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Hey what's the protocol when you're at the driving range and the guy is driving around picking up balls? Do you aim for him, or shoot away from him?
Why do you think the cart has a cage on it?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 01:00 PM   #58
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Ongoing "Am I the %^&hole?" Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post

If you aim towards him, you are kind of doing him a favor. The jerk move would be aiming where he already was.

Really they should make the cart like a skee-ball target.
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 01:09 PM   #59
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

He's probably safest if I aim for him, but I'll keep at it, anyway.

Last edited by Sliver; 07-06-2020 at 01:31 PM. Reason: sp
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 01:34 PM   #60
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Company I work for is doing the 17th Avenue Stampede Crossing LRT Bridge. At Project award the Project Manager decided not to have a project kick off meeting and got a sublet drafting company to do the work without consulting anyone else in the company.

So once the shop drawings were ready for Approval he asks me (Drafting Manager) if someone can check the job. I asked him what do you mean by this plus a few other job related questions. We have 4 Fabrication plants one of which specializes in Bridges, so I advised him that the Bridge plant has very different standards and marking conventions than our other plants. It would result in needing about two weeks and 40% of the drafting budget to have these guys redo the work to suit now. Told him he should have at least let us (Drafting) know at the outset as we could have provided this information at the beginning. PM says not a big deal this will be done at our other plant he was trying to not spend his $1000 drafting support budget (Total project value is 1.2 million). This might have cost him $100....

Anyways all drawings get Aporoved and it's time to send for Fabrication, it is determined that the Bridge Plant will do the work. So they insist on having the drawings redone because they think they will make $15000 in screw ups. I challenged them asking them to prove it would be that bad and to identify the more critical items that will help productio to keep the rework costs down. Basically spending $1000 to save $1000 is not economically worth it. It's not an ideal situation, but if it was sublet fabrication work, would we insist it get redrawn after the fact. At this point any new money is coming out of the project's overall budget.

Plant Manager sends out an Email that Drafting and Project Management will not dictate how the drawings will be done and that they are to be fixed regardless of cost and that he will backcharge drafting for any time his shop is empty waiting for the new drawings beginning now. His Superintendent....agreed with me and said he would do as I suggested since it was a smaller project.

Was I the AH here? The PM deserves a bit of the blame...but I think this Plant Manager is really out of line here.

Tags
"what am i?"