Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 08:40 PM   #501
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I'm not saying it's not ludicrous sounding, I'm just saying that your logic and why it's unexplainable is no less ludicrous than anything else.

Maybe this whole thing can't simply be explained with human logic.

I dont agree with you a whole lot on this board, but holy crap did you nail it with this short and succinct statement.
Old 12-02-2021, 09:19 PM   #502
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems obvious to me that aliens are just really into butt stuff, but then they discovered that it's kinda taboo here and are now too embarrassed to knock on the door.

But a few rogue teenage aliens come by on occasional joy rides.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 09:51 PM   #503
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames_Gimp View Post
There's a Documentary i watched recently, The.Phenomenon (2020). Check it out if you're bored. There was one incident that I find fairly convincing.

The incident had 62 eye witnesses, school children in Zimbabwe in 1994:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ariel_School_UFO_incident

I don't believe 62 children could make up something like this, all their witness accounts matched up. They interviewed some of the students in the documentary, grown up of course, and they still claim it did happen.

I firmly believe we have had visitors, it's mathematically impossible that earth is the only planet with intelligent life.

The posters who said "why would they travel so far just to look around" with the technology they have travel to earth could be very easy for all we know. I think it's plausible that they would come here to explore and study without "eating or greeting" us. I wish they would greet us, I hope it happens in my lifetime, that would be amazing.
This was interesting, but then it says that Zah from Barstool Sports was a student. I can’t describe him here, because it’s neither politically correct nor would the board approve of my chosen terminology. I’ll just say he’s a fool and the only worse person is his colleague Troopz. Anyway…that kind of discredits the whole incident for me.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:09 PM   #504
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not saying it's not ludicrous sounding, I'm just saying that your logic and why it's unexplainable is no less ludicrous than anything else.

Man, I love reading Stephan Hawking's thoughts on this stuff. His last book before he passed was just incredible. On why we need to travel through space and colonize and what us approaching other plants would look like.

And most importantly that what we see as illogical and/or ludicrous today may be the next way we move through space.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 10:11 PM   #505
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
I dont agree with you a whole lot on this board, but holy crap did you nail it with this short and succinct statement.
Stephen Hawking was all over this before his passing. Really fascinating human being and I'm so glad I got to be alive during his life here. Yes, he is very convinced the way we move through space in the next few hundreds years will have little resemblance to the limits of how we think we can move through space right now.

And he's likely 100% correct.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 10:12 AM   #506
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Why thank you sir.

There are two things I know about this phenomena:
  • There are things out there that we can't explain, and has been admitted as such by scientists, philosophers, governments, academia, and the general population.
  • Our conventional wisdom - and our understanding of who we are and what we believe to be true - will be challenged as we figure out the reality of these things.

All I can suggest is to keep an open mind as new developments happen, and to not treat this subject as a joke or stigma as it has grown to be in modern society. I think we need to be open to the idea of a new reality, and much like Galileo's theories caused much consternation and calls of heresy in his day, so too does the UAP topic based on our pre-disposed perceptions of UFO's, ET, and general high strangeness.

We're probably going to learn some things along the way.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 10:21 AM   #507
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I worry about this line of thinking. I am open to it from a theoretical perspective, but I think leaving the grounds of what we currently consider science, and rational fact, to explain the UAP should be advanced very cautiously. Misinterpretation could easily lead to strengthening religious thought or similar "control" devices.

Von Neuman Probes for example. Should we then interpret that the UAPs are in fact our creators?
Likely not but some will no doubt go this way.

Caution around disclosure has always been important, but when we enter the realm of the illogical or the metaphysical I start to get really scared. If this is a devious plot then someone could use it to control a large swath of humanity and thus wield terrible power.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 10:24 AM   #508
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
This was interesting, but then it says that Zah from Barstool Sports was a student. I can’t describe him here, because it’s neither politically correct nor would the board approve of my chosen terminology. I’ll just say he’s a fool and the only worse person is his colleague Troopz. Anyway…that kind of discredits the whole incident for me.
In the documentary the Phenomenon, they catch up with a few of the students now fully grown up. Most are normal folks that grew up to do normal things, including a human rights lawyer, social worker, and artist. The whole event appears to have stuck with them quite intensely over the years, and shaped their world views. I don't think it's fair to cast all of them with the same judgment. In the same manner, the school sighting in Australia in 1966 that The Phenomenon covers also shows these folks turned out fairly normal but it still is a poignant moment in their lifetimes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 10:34 AM   #509
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

As Enoch said, the human side of this should at very least be held to the standards of human logic, and it can't be.

And if we say sure, none of this can be explained with human logic, then that's the end of the conversation, because it means nobody has any plausible answers and the theories are as easily discounted as the doubts. Light or gravity functioning in a way we don't understand is just as likely if not significantly moreso than a multi-verse, or high functioning alien life, etc.

As much as I believe there is an endless amount we don't know and don't understand, I think people also have to accept that right now many of the wilder theories track more closely with religious belief than anything else. When you throw any calls to logic away (even for the human side of things) and layer in conspiracy theory, that pushes it into "joke" territory and creates the stigma.

I mean who knows, maybe christians are right and there is actually a God that created everything we know. Maybe not in the way they tell the story, but some being that made everything we know and is the basis for human life.

Theories are good and interesting. But they must be held to the scientific method. It's not enough to ignore only those questions and criticisms that go against the wilder theories and say "well maybe we just can't understand." If anything, those questions and criticisms are the most important things to consider and will get us closer to answers far faster.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 10:47 AM   #510
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Theories are good and interesting. But they must be held to the scientific method. It's not enough to ignore only those questions and criticisms that go against the wilder theories and say "well maybe we just can't understand." If anything, those questions and criticisms are the most important things to consider and will get us closer to answers far faster.
Check out the Galileo project with Harvard Professor Avi Loeb. You might find interesting stuff there.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #511
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Check out the Galileo project with Harvard Professor Avi Loeb. You might find interesting stuff there.
There's not really anything interesting to find with it, though. Loeb, whether he is as he'd like to present himself or simply a tenured professor engaging in a well-funded pet project without any personal risk to himself, is simply looking for concrete evidence of things unexplained which haven't been captured by the vast number of monitors and hundreds of millions already spent.

By all means, good for him for looking. But it's just looking so far (well, it's the proposal to look, I guess). We've been looking in ways that are not so different than what he's attempting to accomplish. It's possible he's just as singular minded as the scientific community he's criticized. The only difference being what is focused on.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:24 AM   #512
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Fair enough. This topic is so open-ended everyone will have different approaches. Hopefully his project and the ASTRO office will be good for public accountability and open-source information as a tandem.
Old 12-03-2021, 11:49 AM   #513
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Man, I love reading Stephan Hawking's thoughts on this stuff. His last book before he passed was just incredible. On why we need to travel through space and colonize and what us approaching other plants would look like.

And most importantly that what we see as illogical and/or ludicrous today may be the next way we move through space.
What was the name of his book jayswin?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:04 PM   #514
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe that one of the biggest things the general population will need to wrap its head around more clearly will be that time isn't a linear construct. If these UAPs are operating and moving in ways our knowledge of physics and science can't yet explain, then it's time to admit our understanding of the space-time continuum is limited. Proper disclosure and research and funding into the phenomena is a great first step into this area of study and thus understanding.

As a species, our knowledge about science and the universe is still very, very limited. We should be open to all ideas and possibilities, no matter how illogical they may seem to us initially.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:07 PM   #515
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m just hoping we get whatever achievement is necessary for something to grant us warp drive ability in my lifetime. Maybe it’s sticking a starship on Mars with a person in it…. *Achievement unlocked!*
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 12:10 PM   #516
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I’m just hoping we get whatever achievement is necessary for something to grant us warp drive ability in my lifetime. Maybe it’s sticking a starship on Mars with a person in it…. *Achievement unlocked!*

Some fun reading here:

How NASA Plans to Send Humans to Deep Space: The Alcubierre Drive, aka a Real-Life 'Warp Drive' Explained
Old 12-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #517
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I believe that one of the biggest things the general population will need to wrap its head around more clearly will be that time isn't a linear construct. If these UAPs are operating and moving in ways our knowledge of physics and science can't yet explain, then it's time to admit our understanding of the space-time continuum is limited. Proper disclosure and research and funding into the phenomena is a great first step into this area of study and thus understanding.

As a species, our knowledge about science and the universe is still very, very limited. We should be open to all ideas and possibilities, no matter how illogical they may seem to us initially.
Do you honestly think anyone has suggested in the modern word that our understanding of space and time is complete?
Old 12-03-2021, 02:32 PM   #518
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Do you honestly think anyone has suggested in the modern word that our understanding of space and time is complete?
Not in the slightest. But here, have some fun:

Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 03:07 PM   #519
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
What was the name of his book jayswin?
"Brief answers to the big questions". Came out in 2018, I believe.

https://www.amazon.ca/Brief-Answers-...s%2C235&sr=8-1

He tackles 10 questions in 10 chapters.

Is there a god?
How did it all begin?
Is there other intelligent life in the universe?
Can we predict the future?
What is inside a black hole?
Is time travel possible?
Will we survive on earth?
Should we colonize space?
Will artificial intelligence outsmart us?
How do we shape the future?

Last edited by jayswin; 12-03-2021 at 03:09 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2021, 04:18 PM   #520
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's far more likely the US military is doing this themselves as disinformation for domestic and foreign consumption than it is aliens hanging out around American military bases. The logic of aliens being here but not here for so many years just doesn't make sense.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote