Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #661
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Its been a while...but I think that ship has already left the Spacedock?

Isnt that exactly what happened at the end of Season 1? They Deus Ex Machina'd Picard?
Oh...right! I guess my brain selectively excised that one...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:45 AM   #662
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the odds the anomaly is Vger? Probably more likely related to something Brurnham did before the time warp though...
Old 11-29-2021, 11:50 AM   #663
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
What are the odds the anomaly is Vger? Probably more likely related to something Brurnham did before the time warp though...
At this point the anomaly might as well be Thanos.

Does it really matter? Its essentially a MacGuffin to fuel the need for Burnham to save the Galaxy single-handedly! Like Starfleet always does...

And then they never speak of this again...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:22 PM   #664
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
I keep hoping it'll get good! Look, I'm still watching Fear the Walking Dead. Last night I did them back to back...

This episode had so much relationship schlock it actually feel just like some of the worst episodes of FTWD. The bridge fires looked like mini Flames Goal flames. Just randomly Fooshing.

Maybe next episode will be better. I'm sure of it. Honestly though, does anyone actually really like this version of ST? So much wasted potential.

Also, congrats to nameless bridge surfer dude who got specifically named, who's name I've already forgotten.

Book was by far the best part of the episode.

I was killing myself with the Flames, I was literally humming some ACDC as the flame balls were coming out, they missed a real soundtrack opportunity. If only Michael would have stood between them and done the rock and roll devil sign.

Then they incorporated the Maxwell Smart version of the Cone of silence. Yeah overall a pretty relationship type of episode.

It was better then the first one, but the story line so far isn't real intriguing.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:26 PM   #665
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

I actually thought that when they did the zoom out at the end. Mainly because it reminded me of the cloud effects from TMP. But it doesn't make much sense for V'ger to be a massive gravity well intent on destruction, even if its random. Plus unless they're really going to change the time line, V'ger is already a god. Unless they're going to retcon things that because of Michael's disappearance V'ger never approaches earth.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:28 PM   #666
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Burningham will make sweet love to V'Ger but the twist will be that Michael impregnates V'Ger somehow.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:29 PM   #667
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

V'Ger was a god, until it met Burnham.
Old 11-29-2021, 01:35 PM   #668
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

^^ the more I think about it the funnier it gets.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 01:38 PM   #669
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
V'Ger was a god, until it met Burnham.

More like V'ger saw the awesomeness of Burnham, so it ejected Will Decker's consciousness and wants to assimilate Burnham so it can go from God to Super God.

Of course it won't be a matter of Burnham merging with V'ger as much as V'ger merging with Burnham.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:52 PM   #670
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
I'm rewatching tng and I must say, the score as Picard is being revealed as Locutus is just super duper. The distorted TNG theme. The ominous monastery choir. I don't think I've ever paid this much attention to it and I dig it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
And right after this season they fired the composer of Star Trek seasons 1-3 and replaced it with Rick Berman's idea that Star Trek music should all be the music equivalent of beige.
Ron Jones was the composer in question, and he was still around until near the end of season 4; his last work on the show was the score for season 4 episode 21, "The Drumhead".

But yeah, after that he was effectively replaced by Jay Chattaway, and he and Dennis McCarthy's scores in seasons 5-7 were almost universally bland and boring ("The Inner Light" being a pretty big exception). It continued through pretty much all of DS9 and Voyager too; a shame, because otherwise Star Trek was well known for the work of its composers.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 11:50 AM   #671
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Remember when Trek did a 6 episode arc where the writers made sure the audience realized that Sulu was Japanese and was worthy of inclusion?
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:35 PM   #672
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

It was funny, they had an episode with basically space ninja's and a bunch of fight scenes, and it was just an intensly boring episode. I mean its great that they're trying to develop Tilley as a character though its weird that someone that briefly had command of a star ship in combat is out of her comfort zones on away missions. She really is a terrible officer who's there to say weird stuff and metaphorically prat fall.

At the same time the episode was about the guilt that Book was feeling, but it really didn't feel like that tough of a resolution, again this writing team is about instant gratification unless its about Michael. Its hard to care about characters who's major psychological or emotional issues are simply solved by watering plants.

Even Stamets going to work with the "Vulcans" on the problem of the big bad and basically the resolution was, you are wrong, you suck.

I was praying that they would wake up the alien race and it would turn out that they were hostile.

Just a really weird boring episode. You also come to the realization again that Tilly just is not a great character, she's the annoying person in the office that talks about her problems over a gas station egg salad sandwich in the lunch room.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:33 PM   #673
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I agree but, hey, an A story, B story, C story one of which they take a ship and find a new world and a new civilization. It’s a Star Trek episode at least.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2021, 01:22 AM   #674
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the plus side, neither Discovery nor her crew are ever mentioned ever again in any other Star Trek series or timeline nor is their Magic Mushroom drive used or even thought of, so either this was all a bad Burnham Starfleet Academy acid-trip or they all die ignominiously and are never spoken of again.

And if that were to happen it might be an episode of Discovery that I'd gladly watch.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:31 AM   #675
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Ron Jones was the composer in question, and he was still around until near the end of season 4; his last work on the show was the score for season 4 episode 21, "The Drumhead".

But yeah, after that he was effectively replaced by Jay Chattaway, and he and Dennis McCarthy's scores in seasons 5-7 were almost universally bland and boring ("The Inner Light" being a pretty big exception). It continued through pretty much all of DS9 and Voyager too; a shame, because otherwise Star Trek was well known for the work of its composers.
The music from TOS was practically a character in the show. I still break out the Ponn Far fight music if there is a disagreement between myself and a friend if it doesn't look like anything will be resolved without ritual combat.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:00 AM   #676
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was weird how they saved the aliens, then didn't even make contact. And the whole point of everything was to save them from an anomaly wandering through the universe, where the odds of it hitting this one specific place are minuscule. Then they just jettison from their ship, basically immediately after defrosting, no worrying about what happened with their dead crew ... onto a planet that could get destroyed by the anomaly? Does Discovery warn them? Nope.

Just so much lazy throwaway writing.
Old 12-05-2021, 11:54 AM   #677
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The music from TOS was practically a character in the show. I still break out the Ponn Far fight music if there is a disagreement between myself and a friend if it doesn't look like anything will be resolved without ritual combat.
Cable Guy version though, right?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 01:59 PM   #678
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 05:41 PM   #679
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

30 years ago today, the best (IMO) Star Trek original cast film was released. The Undiscovered Country.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 06:52 PM   #680
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wrath of Khan is still my favourite of the original films, but Undiscovered Country is terrific as well, and was a pitch perfect send-off for the original crew. Such an awesome movie.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote