Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-30-2021, 04:41 PM   #21
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one if my favourite cartoons. I had it framed.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:10 AM   #22
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Reel to reels? The Ampex 440 was such a great machine. Haven't worked on one in 25 years though.

I once threw out a shipping container full of vinyl. Mid 90's and 40+ years worth of releases. I spent a week or so pulling out what I could, Elvis, Beatles, Hank Williams, Led Zeppelin etc. Maybe a couple hundred albums and gave them to an old friend who liked to collect old crap. He even had a record player in a 56 Cadillac.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2021, 11:41 AM   #23
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a DJ during my university years; everything was on RTR those days... A friend of mine sucked me back right into it some time ago, by giving me two Otari 5050Bii machines salvaged from one of the closed Calgary recording studios. And here we go, I've got six RTR decks now...
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2021, 12:35 PM   #24
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

My mother left milk cartons full of my LPs out on the sidewalk for anyone to take when I was away and she was cleaning house. Lots of great 70 and 80’s albums including my favourites Elvis Costello live at the el Mocambo and Byrne/eno my life in the bush of ghosts. They were all scratched like crazy though so not exactly priceless…
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:00 AM   #25
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
RUN LIKE HELL!!! Trust me on this. You'll blink, and Planar 1 doesn't do it anymore, because 3 is so much better with that Elys head... And then you want to switch to an MC head, because it sounds so much better than MM head and you need to upgrade the phono-stage and, suddenly, fight all those ground loops... and then you want a small system upstairs for analog music and a big loud one downstairs for rock... It's a trap, man, stay away.

I didn't...

This hobby is on and off for me, everything has collected dust for the last 2 years. I maxed out at the Ortofon 2M Blue MM cartridge. $300 for the cartridge + needle and honestly... I can't tell the difference
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 11:42 AM   #26
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
… and honestly... I can't tell the difference
You’re lucky.

In seriousness though, it’s all interconnected and sounds as good as the weakest link in the system. No sense upgrading to MC head if you are happy with the sound going through an integrated receiver to a pair of small speakers. Just enjoy it, right?
Old 11-01-2021, 11:57 AM   #27
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
You’re lucky.

In seriousness though, it’s all interconnected and sounds as good as the weakest link in the system. No sense upgrading to MC head if you are happy with the sound going through an integrated receiver to a pair of small speakers. Just enjoy it, right?
I am using an Accuphase C200/P300 stack and Technics SB-X50 speakers

I find I prefer music in my Airpod Pros these days. I also live in a condo so I can never turn up the amp fully without fear of my neighbors killing me.
Old 12-23-2021, 04:56 PM   #28
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just in time for Christmas, my order of Radiohead Kid A mnesia came in today.
Limited edition art book and triple cream vinyls.

I just picked up some Edifier S1000 speakers on Black Friday.
Time to grab a rum & eggnog and chill out.

Anyone picking up new vinyl or parts for their setup these holidays?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2021, 11:56 PM   #29
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Just in time for Christmas, my order of Radiohead Kid A mnesia came in today.
Limited edition art book and triple cream vinyls.

I just picked up some Edifier S1000 speakers on Black Friday.
Time to grab a rum & eggnog and chill out.

Anyone picking up new vinyl or parts for their setup these holidays?
I got good kid maad city for my birthday recently and expect a couple of records for xmas. I'm really hoping my wife gets me Ghostface - Ironman. My philosophy on the collection is "no skips" albums and albums that have a special meaning.
Old 12-24-2021, 12:41 AM   #30
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I got good kid maad city for my birthday recently and expect a couple of records for xmas. I'm really hoping my wife gets me Ghostface - Ironman. My philosophy on the collection is "no skips" albums and albums that have a special meaning.
Nice, I have Good Kid too.
I agree on the philosophy, vinyl is about solid albums you want to listen through and I like to keep a small, curated collection.

On the hip hop front, my cousin got me Outkast-Atliens & Tribe - Midnight Marauders for secret Santa this year.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2021, 01:51 AM   #31
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Being a metalhead that's into vinyl is great right now.

I'm such a sucker for an awesome looking colour pressing. I have these pre-ordered:

Last edited by AC; 01-09-2022 at 03:12 AM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 12:58 PM   #32
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

revitalizing thread - contemplating buying some vinyl albums more as art work decoration for my mini home recording studio/space (but might also grab a turntable)...

Guessing as far as used albums go, the Value Villages of the world, FB Marketplace, etc, but any other places to buy I'm not thinking of?
Old 03-05-2023, 01:39 PM   #33
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
revitalizing thread - contemplating buying some vinyl albums more as art work decoration for my mini home recording studio/space (but might also grab a turntable)...

Guessing as far as used albums go, the Value Villages of the world, FB Marketplace, etc, but any other places to buy I'm not thinking of?
There's nothing good at any thrift stores, you might find a gem once every 50 visits. They are all grandpa albums or orchestra stuff.

What albums/genre are you looking for? Just check out the used bins at Sloth Records, Hot Wax, the shelves of Recordland or their discount bin that they sometimes have, the discount bins of Turn it Up on 16th, etc. It's going to cost you $5-$10 at a minimum for low value pop records. Sometimes Sunrise has a discount bin as well but mostly modern items.

The cheapest you might find some throwaway albums that might be decent for display is maybe Buy & Sell Store on MacLeod but same price point.

You aren't going to find any decent cheap albums unless you really go thrifting every single day.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-05-2023 at 01:44 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 01:57 PM   #34
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post

Heritage Music is pretty sweet, I actually just picked up some Laserdiscs there today

CD trader at Brentwood is also good, I think. I go there for movies but they seem to have a bunch of records there.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 12:58 PM   #35
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thanks lads - looking mostly for some classic/prog rock from 70s, and actually recently getting into the greats of jazz past and present, and open to other albums with cool covers.

Appreciate all these tips you 2 provided!
Old 03-13-2023, 01:25 PM   #36
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with Hack&Loob's take - it is very unlikely to fund good records in good overall condition for a $1/piece. However; keep looking at FB Marketplace for listings on estate sales; especially, in rural areas. For example, some lady just listed a huge (by any account) record collection containing pretty much every genre (rock, jazz, soul, r&b etc.). It's somewhere near Olds. If you don't mind driving, you might get lucky there on a wholesale buy. But spending $100 on gas to buy a few records for $50 is silly. It should be justified by the volume. Other reliable sources are Discogs, Amazon.ca and eBay of course.
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 03:39 PM   #37
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

AC's post is too old to thank but have to agree with him, I love when the actual vinyl is painted and I'll spend more for this

over this

FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:16 PM   #38
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
AC's post is too old to thank but have to agree with him, I love when the actual vinyl is painted and I'll spend more for this
It's not painted it's pressed from colored material and sometimes they add colored pellets and other materials to make splattered vinyl and other patterns when it's melted together.

The one draw back of colored vinyl as it's called is increased noise and lower audio fidelity.

There are also picture discs which also offer less audio quality due to a thinner layer of clear vinyl that is pressed onto an actual printed photo.
Old 03-13-2023, 04:28 PM   #39
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

when the actual vinyl is pressed from colored material and sometimes they add colored pellets and other materials to make splattered vinyl and other patterns when it's melted together.^
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 04:38 PM   #40
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerPresJamesTaylor View Post
when the actual vinyl is pressed from colored material and sometimes they add colored pellets and other materials to make splattered vinyl and other patterns when it's melted together.^
I just thought it was funny because painting vinyl is something people do with their Taylor Swift albums because they don't care about actually listening to them and they fill in all the grooves
The Following User Says Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:

Tags
music , records , vinyl