Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2013, 09:22 PM   #1
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Let's Talk Vinyl

I'm relatively new to collecting records. A couple of year's ago I discovered a used record store called Krazy Bob's Music Emporium in Langley, BC. I usually go there at least once a month and splurge on some neat vinyl.

I buy any old school Hip Hop I can find because it seems to be the most valuable and I've been a huge old school Hip Hop guy for more than a decade.

Other than that, I love big band Jazz. Any Blues or Jazz from the 1920s-1950s, including vocal Jazz. I've been getting into really really old country from around the 1940s and 50s; you know, the corny stuff haha. I try to collect a lot of soul as well because I love hearing the break beats they come up with.

Just interested in what some of you vinyl nerd's favourite pieces are in your collection? Here are some of my favourites (I know, not very rare, but they're my favourite):

Eric B. & Rakim, Paid In Full

The Battle for Rap Supremacy

Fat Boys, Fat Boys

Fred Astaire, Starring Fred Astaire

MC Shan, Born to Be Wild

Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Been growing a pretty solid record collection over the last couple years. Nothing too rare but I have a good mix of classics and new records that are coming out on vinyl.

My all time favorite vinyl has to be Stevie though:

I already have a pre-order in for this guy, I bet it is going to sound unreal on my system:
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to East Coast Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #3
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Expected a thread with hot woman in Dominatrix gear, left disappointed.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #4
Kiran403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I like to find old soul records because they sound great and tons of hiphop is sampled from them so it's cool to see what the originals sound like.
Kiran403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kiran403 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiran403 View Post
I like to find old soul records because they sound great and tons of hiphop is sampled from them so it's cool to see what the originals sound like.
Agreed. WhoSampled.com is a really awesome site I found. It's what I use to find new soul records.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll go to Melodiya sometimes but I find amazon.ca/.com have some of the best deals for vinyl. I'll always go where prices are best whether it's local or not.

I like spinning my dad's old Gordon Lightfoot, Steely Dan, Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd records as my metal LP's such as Satyricon, Dimmu Borgir, Pantera, Lamb of God, and cKy.

I have a rather small collection and don't think I'll ever get to a point where my LP collection is bigger than CD. I just get the albums that are timeless for me.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've taken a slightly different approach to vinyl in that I'm not big on the crate digging aspect, but into making more of my music purchases and going for the new/limited edition vinyl. I listen to 99% of my music on Rdio now anyways, so I know the artist are getting chicken scratch from my $10 a month.

So when I do find an album I want to own I splurge on the vinyl and try to get in on as many pre-orders as I can. In the past I'd have dropped $40-$60/month on CD's, now I drop that same cash on one or two vinyl releases as they come out.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #8
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

PMM, I got rid of so much vinyl in the late 90s (after lugging it around for a few moves) that would add so nicely to the releases you listed that I want to cry. Alas.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:16 PM   #9
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnedTheCorner View Post
PMM, I got rid of so much vinyl in the late 90s (after lugging it around for a few moves) that would add so nicely to the releases you listed that I want to cry. Alas.
I sold my vinyl collection back in 2003. I had close to 200 LP's in mint condition and sold then for $100. I know wish I had held on to them as they seem to have gained some popularity and I might have gotten more for them.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yep. Never saw it coming.
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #11
chalms04
First Line Centre

Exp:

Re-organized my meager collection, and came across Discogs, which is a great way to catalogue everything. Just key in the catalogue numbers, and bam!

chalms04 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chalms04 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM   #12
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chalms04 View Post
Re-organized my meager collection, and came across Discogs, which is a great way to catalogue everything. Just key in the catalogue numbers, and bam!
I recently discovered discogs too. It's a really cool way to see if you've got a first pressing of an album. Found out I have a boat load of first pressing old school Hip Hop (some are sealed), so they'll grow in value quite a bit.
Old 10-24-2021, 01:12 AM   #13
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I sold my vinyl collection back in 2003. I had close to 200 LP's in mint condition and sold then for $100. I know wish I had held on to them as they seem to have gained some popularity and I might have gotten more for them.
You might have gotten more. Sure. But more importantly, someone might be enjoying that music right now.

You can’t put a price tag on that.

Spin that beautiful vinyl!!
Old 10-27-2021, 04:51 PM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
You might have gotten more. Sure. But more importantly, someone might be enjoying that music right now.

You can’t put a price tag on that.

Spin that beautiful vinyl!!

Holy 8 year thread resurrection Batman! Where did this come from?

As an aside, I need to sell my collection. I have both good ones and widely available ones of all genres but I can't live with the space consumed by the 1000+ LP collection and the HiFi equipment anymore since I live in an apartment.

Where is a good place or way to sell? I'm not in a mood to sell individually on discogs even though that would net the highest return.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2021, 05:07 PM   #15
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Holy 8 year thread resurrection Batman! Where did this come from?

As an aside, I need to sell my collection. I have both good ones and widely available ones of all genres but I can't live with the space consumed by the 1000+ LP collection and the HiFi equipment anymore since I live in an apartment.

Where is a good place or way to sell? I'm not in a mood to sell individually on discogs even though that would net the highest return.
canuckaudiomart for your hifi
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2021, 09:24 AM   #16
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

cool thread to bring back actually.

I'm not a collector and LPs were transitioning to cassettes when I was younger so most of what I had was on cassette.

I think I still have about 30 records. Split between ones that were never released in another format, and ones with sentimental value. A lot of them are from my punk days. Dead Kennedys, SNFU, etc.
I'm happy my copy of Jazz by Queen still has the insert of all the naked girls riding bikes.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #17
toonmaster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Discovered Madman Across the Water in a stash of records that hadn't been looked through in a long long time. That was a nice surprise.
Old 10-29-2021, 04:48 PM   #18
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really perfect time for this thread to get resurrected because I’ve just gotten into this hobby, with my wife getting me a rega planar 1 turntable as a gift and now I’m quickly getting addicted to this. Really don’t know anything about collecting but learning lots through YouTube etc., and so far just have picked up a few through browsing sloth records and record land.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2021, 11:56 AM   #19
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J epworth View Post
Really perfect time for this thread to get resurrected because I’ve just gotten into this hobby, with my wife getting me a rega planar 1 turntable as a gift and now I’m quickly getting addicted to this. Really don’t know anything about collecting but learning lots through YouTube etc., and so far just have picked up a few through browsing sloth records and record land.
RUN LIKE HELL!!! Trust me on this. You'll blink, and Planar 1 doesn't do it anymore, because 3 is so much better with that Elys head... And then you want to switch to an MC head, because it sounds so much better than MM head and you need to upgrade the phono-stage and, suddenly, fight all those ground loops... and then you want a small system upstairs for analog music and a big loud one downstairs for rock... It's a trap, man, stay away.

I didn't...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2021, 03:01 PM   #20
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:

Tags
music , records , vinyl