Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #201
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anderson was playing on a mess of a team in Columbus that dwindled it’s assets to go all in at the wrong time. Using counting stats isn’t really a fair representation when you consider who Monahan got to play with and who JA has been playing with. Especially years 1 through 3.

Both have a history of injuries and one could argue Monahan’s have been worse and more abundant.

I don’t think the argument is as simple as well this player has scored more over a defined period… you have to ask yourself which player would have a more positive impact on the team right now and while Monahan has been fine this year I think Anderson would have a better chance at making a more defined impact on the club with the skillset that he offers than Monahan.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #202
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Concerned about the size and term on Andersen’s deal and how this team is built. Let’s assume the Flames are somehow able to re-sign Johnny, Mangi, and Chucky then they would also have Coleman and Andersen making huge cash on the wing long term. Too much tied up in that position especially next year with Lucic still on the books
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #203
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
What makes you say that? In Anderson, I see an overpaid, often injured player who has never hit the potential that has only been glimpsed, while being given multiple chances to do so.

In Monahan, you have a player that saw incredible success early, blowing away expectations even, then slowing down due to injuries. But, allegedly is the most healthy he has been in 2 seasons, and is now showing better underlying numbers while toiling away with 4th liners. Never had a second chance like Anderson to show what he could be in a different situation too.

I stick with Monahan 10/10. Contract makes it a no brainer.
I think JA is seen as a guy who was busting out in 2018-19, and then had a significant injury. He hasn't been injured since, though. I agree he's inconsistent. My main concern is that Monahan isn't bouncing back like I hoped. And BTW, I think I'm seen around these parts as an Monahan supporter, FWIW.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:53 AM   #204
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Flames don't have anyone who plays like Anderson. Big power forward who literally crashes the net. He'd be a tremendous asset to this team.

He also wouldn't be stuck on a 3rd line with Lucic if he came here

That said, I'm all about Toffoli here. Would be great.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 11:43 AM   #205
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Straight up hockey trade with Montreal.

Monahan ($6.375M) + Valimaki ($1.55M) + a B level prospect or mid round pick for Dvorak ($4.45M) + Armia ($3.4M) + Kulak ($1.85M)

$8.93M out and $9.7M in. Flames get term on all players but Kulak, and the cap hits are friendly.

Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk
Mangiapane - Backlund - Coleman
Dube - Dvorak - Armia
Lucic - Richardson - Lewis

Kulak would add some really nice flexibility on the blueline, being capable of playing both sides, being a good skater, and moving the puck.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 11:51 AM   #206
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like a terrible deal for Montreal. They gave up a first round pick to get Dvorak as a long-term solution in the middle.
Swap out Dvorak for Gallagher or Toffoli and you might have something.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #207
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Jeebus. You weren’t clear on what you were asking, and I wasn’t the only one who thought you were asking about double retention.

But double retention doesn’t bring it to $1.5M. I was asking how was 1.5 possible. Double retention clearly was not the answer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:21 PM   #208
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
But double retention doesn’t bring it to $1.5M. I was asking how was 1.5 possible. Double retention clearly was not the answer.

You just said "how is that possible" which could have referred to either the number or the fact it was > 50%. And, again, I wasn't the only one who thought you were asking about the former - it's right there in the other post I quoted.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 12:29 PM   #209
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Absolutely No to Anderson. His contract would crush our cap structure forever. Plus he's not even proven to be better than Monahan.
Current stage Monahan, Josh Anderson is the far superior player. And importantly, brings the ideal elements this team is looking for and built around.

Monahan has negative trade value. Boggles the mind that we have so many folks clinging to Monny’s past performance.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 12:51 PM   #210
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Current stage Monahan, Josh Anderson is the far superior player. And importantly, brings the ideal elements this team is looking for and built around.

Monahan has negative trade value. Boggles the mind that we have so many folks clinging to Monny’s past performance.

While you may be correct, I wouldn’t take on the Anderson contract.

The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 01:34 PM   #211
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I for some reason thought Anderson signed a 5 year deal… but with 5 left after this year I definitely understand people’s hesitation.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 01:53 PM   #212
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Seems like a terrible deal for Montreal. They gave up a first round pick to get Dvorak as a long-term solution in the middle.
Swap out Dvorak for Gallagher or Toffoli and you might have something.
Hard no on Gallagher. $6.5M for another five seasons is a disaster waiting to happen. Thankfully he has a M-NTC and a NMC, so I think he's out of the question. I would take Toffoli in a heartbeat, but I don't think he's available, plus he has a M-NTC. If we could include Toffoli instead of Dvorak, that would then mean you can't move Monahan without another deal to snag another center. Our center depth is pretty sketchy. It would have been helpful if Zary was chewing up the AHL and being a solid option on the third line.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 02:05 PM   #213
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post

Josh Anderson's best season in the NHL is comparable to Monahan's Worst, current performance. Anderson is not very good, and not the player many of you seem to think he is? He also did virtually nothing useful for Montreal in the playoffs. Was a bit of a whipping boy for it.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-02-2021, 06:20 PM   #214
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's fun talking trades but I have little confidence in Treliving pulling the trigger...but, maybe the Sutter effect will make a difference.
Flames_Gimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 03:54 PM   #215
Fan in Exile
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How did the Flames and Canucks not put in a bid to get Toffoli. That is a great UFA contract. Would love to get him but I imagine a lot of teams would and that the acquisition cost would be significant.
Fan in Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:03 PM   #216
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I would take Toffoli in a heartbeat, but I don't think he's available, plus he has a M-NTC.
Does he? It's not mentioned here https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/canadiens
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 04:06 PM   #217
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan in Exile View Post
How did the Flames and Canucks not put in a bid to get Toffoli. That is a great UFA contract. Would love to get him but I imagine a lot of teams would and that the acquisition cost would be significant.
Canucks let Toffoli walk. The same time they let Tanev walk. Totally terrible decision there were.
Old 12-03-2021, 04:09 PM   #218
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Canucks let Toffoli walk. The same time they let Tanev walk. Totally terrible decision there were.
It seemed to be a forgone conclusion among fans when they acquired Toffoli that they were certain to extend him.
Old 12-04-2021, 07:00 PM   #219
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

on HNIC Friedman said that the Bruins want a forward or d-man they consider equal value to DeBrusk and that they put a high value on DeBrusk.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 07:11 PM   #220
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

on the Marek Show, he said DeBrusk for Mason Appleton. not sure that is considered high or equal value
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote