Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-01-2021, 05:42 PM   #361
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Sutter punished Monahan's OT shift by giving him the first slot on the shootout list.

Just brutal treatment.
Well, that OT shift was all the way back in game #2, October the 18th. I'm not even saying it's punishment, but it's about trust. What I'm saying is, he doesn't trust Monahan defensively in OT which is probably more than fair given his relatively poor defensive game this season.

Also, Sutter is a pretty big numbers guy. He knows who's good in the shootout and who isn't. Monahan's been one of, if not the best shootout player in Flames history. Of course he wasn't going to exclude Monahan. He may not like him in OT, but there's no back checking in the shootout, so he's good.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:09 PM   #362
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Meanwhile leads franchise for most OT goals in team history.

But you're lucky you included the word "currently", otherwise this would be an embarrassing statement.

It wasn’t lucky, it was by choice.

I’m not certain why many of you refuse to distinguish between the Monny of the past and the current version of Monny.

Why his past accomplishments in OT need to be raised when entirely irrelevant is what is embarrassing.

Would you be playing Monny in OT?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:26 PM   #363
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Honestly Monahan would be one of my first choices in OT as long as he is with Lindolm, Gaudreau, Tanev or Kylington. You need someone who can skate well or defend well. He still thinks the game pretty well and can still shoot the puck when he has time and space. I know Sutter said Backlund is one of our better 3 on 3 players but I disagree. His whole career Backlund has never been a good OT guy.
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #364
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Honestly Monahan would be one of my first choices in OT as long as he is with Lindolm, Gaudreau, Tanev or Kylington. You need someone who can skate well or defend well. He still thinks the game pretty well and can still shoot the puck when he has time and space. I know Sutter said Backlund is one of our better 3 on 3 players but I disagree. His whole career Backlund has never been a good OT guy.
Really? I think he’s spot on. Backlund is definitely one of the team’s best 3 on 3 skaters. He’s got the hockey IQ and physical tools to excel, plus on top of that, he’s use to playing with less players on the ice due to his penalty killing work, so he’s very aware of when to jump on the rush if the opportunity calls and how to get back in position to defend.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:13 PM   #365
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Really? I think he’s spot on. Backlund is definitely one of the team’s best 3 on 3 skaters. He’s got the hockey IQ and physical tools to excel, plus on top of that, he’s use to playing with less players on the ice due to his penalty killing work, so he’s very aware of when to jump on the rush if the opportunity calls and how to get back in position to defend.
How many OT goals does Backlund have. Honest question, I have no clue. I think I recall one against Vancouver. He has the hockey IQ but his shot is really weak. If I'm trying to get to shootout Backlund might be my top choice but if I'm trying to win I take Monahan every time.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #366
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I’ll stick with whomever Sutter thinks is best.

He sees the players in practice when they are practicing the 3 on 3’s.

There is a reason he is the coach and we are sitting in the stands.

You can’t have a very slow player who can’t keep up in OT. He used to be there because he had an elite shot. But that is no longer there.

Anyone can shoot the puck when they have time and space.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 07:18 PM   #367
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I’ll stick with whomever Sutter thinks is best.

He sees the players in practice when they are practicing the 3 on 3’s.

There is a reason he is the coach and we are sitting in the stands.

You can’t have a very slow player who can’t keep up in OT. He used to be there because he had an elite shot. But that is no longer there.

Anyone can shoot the puck when they have time and space.

I don't know judging by our OT record I don't think he's that good of a 3 on 3 coach.

He's my favorite coach of all time but I don't think he is a good 3 on 3 coach. His record speaks to that.
Old 12-01-2021, 07:32 PM   #368
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
It wasn’t lucky, it was by choice.

I’m not certain why many of you refuse to distinguish between the Monny of the past and the current version of Monny.

Why his past accomplishments in OT need to be raised when entirely irrelevant is what is embarrassing.

Would you be playing Monny in OT?

After Monahan scores some goals in regulation not on the PP, I would absolutely have him back on an OT unit. He has no confidence shooting right now, so I might not at this moment, but soon as he scores a couple I'd give him the shot to build confidence.

I imagine that time will come in the remaining 60 games.

I do think with a couple skill guys including Gaudreau I might consider it though, if other combinations aren't getting it done. He can still set up Gaudreau effectively.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-01-2021 at 07:35 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #369
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know judging by our OT record I don't think he's that good of a 3 on 3 coach.

He's my favorite coach of all time but I don't think he is a good 3 on 3 coach. His record speaks to that.

OT is a coin toss, teams are good or bad but tend not to be repeatable season to season. You are basing it on 5 games.

I don’t know Sutter’s career OT record, but I’d be surprised if it’s below .500.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #370
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
OT is a coin toss, teams are good or bad but tend not to be repeatable season to season. You are basing it on 5 games.

I don’t know Sutter’s career OT record, but I’d be surprised if it’s below .500.

His OT record has been pretty bad since 3 on 3. He had 15 OTL with the Kings one year.

I think teams that are the most aggressive usually win. When Flames were successful they weren't scared to jump in and try to force a 2 on 1.
Old 12-01-2021, 10:08 PM   #371
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
His OT record has been pretty bad since 3 on 3. He had 15 OTL with the Kings one year.
OT was 4v4 that year actually and that record was due to their team not having any talent for the shootout.

And the Kings, with Kopitar/Doughty/Carter, were one of the top 3v3 teams while Sutter was there.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:29 PM   #372
NewFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like with Sutter's system, Monahan will not produce much. I think he will be traded for veteran C and a draft pick. And flames need to add another scorer.
NewFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:18 AM   #373
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

That pass on the Richardson goal was filthy.

More of that, because he’s really not as bad defensively as people act.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 12:21 AM   #374
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would like to see Coleman stick with Mony for the foreseeable future and get some chemistry. Lewis also looks so good on that line.
Old 12-04-2021, 12:26 AM   #375
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan had probably his best game tonight.

Will be interesting to see if sutter can turn him into something more than a trigger man. Looks like giving him better linemates helps.

Pitlick to 4th line is a good idea.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:30 AM   #376
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Now they can replace Pitlick with Ruzicka.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 12:41 AM   #377
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feels like They’ve recalled Ruzicka half a dozen times for extended periods and never played him.

3 GP 1A very good possession stats and a + player.

Figure it out, Darry
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:29 AM   #378
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think I sit Pitlick for Ruzicka next game.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 07:24 AM   #379
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’ve been wanting Coleman with Monahan for a while. Just need a trade for a winger to play with 88 and 11.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2021, 07:59 AM   #380
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Pitlick for a 3rd wasn’t great at the time and worse now since he’s not even a top PKer. At least it’s just a 3rd I guess.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
soft