Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2021, 11:47 AM   #2101
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I dunno, Jennifer acted the brother serial killer revelation thing pretty well in the later seasons. She certainly came across as distraught, tortured and angry. Didn't pay particular attention to her in early seasons as her role was more minor and I guess she filled it fine.

This season had trouble taking off but now that its going, it looks like it could go some very interesting places.

Someone brought up a twist "idea" that Harrison isn't real Harrison and related to Trinity. And killed Hannah on his way to finding Dexter. That would be pretty wild.

I think this is Harrison, but he has some pretty dark stuff going on with him. Kid's a great actor. Him and Audrey are running the show.

Chief and even Dexter have been pretty cardboard-y. But that's mainly cause we've had 3.5 episodes of Jim Lindsey, and not much of the dark passenger on screen.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 11:54 AM   #2102
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
I dunno, Jennifer acted the brother serial killer revelation thing pretty well in the later seasons. She certainly came across as distraught, tortured and angry. Didn't pay particular attention to her in early seasons as her role was more minor and I guess she filled it fine.

This season had trouble taking off but now that its going, it looks like it could go some very interesting places.

Someone brought up a twist "idea" that Harrison isn't real Harrison and related to Trinity. And killed Hannah on his way to finding Dexter. That would be pretty wild.

I think this is Harrison, but he has some pretty dark stuff going on with him. Kid's a great actor. Him and Audrey are running the show.

Chief and even Dexter have been pretty cardboard-y. But that's mainly cause we've had 3.5 episodes of Jim Lindsey, and not much of the dark passenger on screen.
Force ghost Deborah is pretty well acted i think. I think her acting abilities developed over the years.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2021, 10:14 AM   #2103
ben voyonsdonc
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael C. Hall's acting is strong - he's acting as a person who is acting which is tough but he pulls it off. Harrison's acting is great. A lot of the other actors with smaller parts (particularly Dexter's girlfriend) are pretty bad though.

This week's episode was definitely better in my opinion.
ben voyonsdonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:26 AM   #2104
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calling Jennifer Carpenter the worst actress you've seen on TV pretty well craters your credibility in assessing acting talent.

It reminds me of how Erick used to harp on Anna Gunn being the absolute worst actor on Breaking Bad, then she went on to win an Emmy for that very role. Twice.

Sometimes I think people conflate talent with disliking a character.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:37 AM   #2105
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Is Harrison going to become Dexter’s protege?
Dexter is going to die and become Harrison's force ghost.
Old 11-30-2021, 10:39 AM   #2106
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
Really? Acting has been pretty bad since season 1. Surprised you think other wise. Debra was probably worst actor I have watched in Tv show history.

This season isn't as bad but definitely not great. I would say below average acting.
The guy that played Bautista was 100X worse. David Zayas was also on an episode of L&O and he was absolutely terrible in it.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:06 PM   #2107
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Calling Jennifer Carpenter the worst actress you've seen on TV pretty well craters your credibility in assessing acting talent.

It reminds me of how Erick used to harp on Anna Gunn being the absolute worst actor on Breaking Bad, then she went on to win an Emmy for that very role. Twice.

Sometimes I think people conflate talent with disliking a character.
Me?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 12:09 PM   #2108
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Me?
Apologies if I'm mistaken, but if I recall correctly you were pretty critical of Gunn's acting chops back in the day.

EDIT: I can't really find anything to support that statement, so I think I was wrong. Apologies again.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran

Last edited by Yamer; 11-30-2021 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-30-2021, 12:16 PM   #2109
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamer View Post
Apologies if I'm mistaken, but if I recall correctly you were pretty critical of Gunn's acting chops back in the day.
I don't recall. I don't think she was ever a favorite of mine but I don't know if it was something I was overly invested in.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 11:04 PM   #2110
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The acting of the whole homicide/forensic team was always bad, and at the same time I found it part of their charm & appeal.

They were the herd of sheep that Dexter led around as he wanted to. After all he was perhaps the serial killer with the highest body count in Miami working under their roof. They were kind of a joke to begin with, minus Doakes (and Deb in later seasons when the relationship became more complex). Don't know how or why, but the total lack of depth to their characters and acting played into the whole dynamic of the show.

You only ever needed quality acting out of Dexter and his adversaries to keep things interesting.

Rita and the Family were also bad, and again it didn't matter. It felt like Dexter's whole outsider perspective on normal life made it all out to look like a joke/facade to him, and the acting played into that.

I miss Masuka.

Last edited by djsFlames; 12-01-2021 at 12:19 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-01-2021, 09:48 AM   #2111
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

I miss Masuka.

I'm still hoping for a Masuka cameo before the season ends.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 03:51 AM   #2112
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great episode!

Loved the guest appearance. Suffice it to say things just got a lot more interesting.

That episode felt a lot more like show's earlier form than anything so far.

Spoiler!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 10:30 AM   #2113
jroc
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Has he ever bumped into a bad guy as easily as he bumped into Miles? Holy crap that was too easy!

Perhaps a missed something, but did he have any other info other than his first name and the drugs he was slinging?
jroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 10:44 AM   #2114
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post
Has he ever bumped into a bad guy as easily as he bumped into Miles? Holy crap that was too easy!

Perhaps a missed something, but did he have any other info other than his first name and the drugs he was slinging?
That he was selling out of a dive bar in a near town, which would probably narrow it down some. It did feel a little rushed, I agree, but I think they were trying to relay how impulsive Dexter was being.

-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Old 12-06-2021, 12:13 PM   #2115
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome episode. Not sure how they can wrap all of this up in 6 episodes, but we'll see. Things are definitely starting to heat up now.

Spoiler!
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 01:51 PM   #2116
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroc View Post

10 episode limited series that took its time in the first 4 would be my best answer to that lol...

The plot conveniences will probably be eyebrow raising from here on out. Not a lot of room to factor in realistic scenarios (eg taking a few hours to stake out Miles at his spot).
Old 12-06-2021, 02:16 PM   #2117
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anybody else get a kick out of this

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #2118
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dexter:New Blood, Cobra Kai and Better Call Saul all sounded like bad ideas to me at the time, but all turned out way better than expected.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2021, 06:21 PM   #2119
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

This week's episode is great. I know the show's not perfect, but it is reminding me of how invested and engaged I was in the first 4 seasons.
Old 12-13-2021, 03:27 AM   #2120
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was the best one yet IMO. They've really ramped up the tension over these last two episodes, and it's been cool seeing the old Dexter slowly emerging as he starts to put all the pieces together. These last 4 episodes are gonna be fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post: