Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-23-2021, 10:58 AM   #61
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
He will be 29 when this contract kicks in. It's not in his best interest to take shorter term to set him up for a better contract for when he is 35. Why would he bank on clubs lining up to give him a big contract until he is 41?

If Treliving wants to build a contender with Gaudreau in the lineup, ne needs to buy down the AAV with term. Not the other way around.
I guess. I just hate long term contracts for guys edging 30.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 11:04 AM   #62
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I guess. I just hate long term contracts for guys edging 30.
This goes back to not signing Gaudreau to an eight year deal back in the day. We saved a sliver on aav (and spent it on Mike Stone buyouts lol) and now we're in a tough position.

This isn't hindsight is 20/20. This is "the team lacked foresight and was too fixated on keeping Gaudreau's AAV below Giordano's"

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 11:16 AM   #63
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
This goes back to not signing Gaudreau to an eight year deal back in the day. We saved a sliver on aav (and spent it on Mike Stone buyouts lol) and now we're in a tough position.

This isn't hindsight is 20/20. This is "the team lacked foresight and was too fixated on keeping Gaudreau's AAV below Giordano's"
I don’t think JG wanted an 8 year contract then either. I think he wanted to be in exactly the position he’s now in.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 11:40 AM   #64
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

What’s disappointing is how little the club accomplished while he was at such a low AAV. But there is still this year.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 12:49 PM   #65
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don’t think JG wanted an 8 year contract then either. I think he wanted to be in exactly the position he’s now in.
But the GM mind control ray! Treliving was supposed to use the mind control ray!
Old 11-23-2021, 12:52 PM   #66
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any agent should be fired if they would have suggested Gaudreau sign an 8 year deal at the age Gaudreau was at.

Gaudreau still in his prime and in line for a big contract. Imagine him being 31 or 32 heading into UFA...
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 03:22 PM   #67
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

Too soon to declare the matter settled. We could still win the Cup this year thanks to the AAV savings.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 06:12 PM   #68
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The rumour was 7 years at $7.5/yr. In hindsight the Flames probably should have done that if true.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 06:21 PM   #69
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
The rumour was 7 years at $7.5/yr. In hindsight the Flames probably should have done that if true.
Extremely unlikely

6 x $6.75M is $40.5M

7 x $7.5M is $52.5M

There is no way the Flames would pay an extra $12M to get one more year. And there is no way Gaudreau wouldn't have taken it
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2021, 06:55 PM   #70
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Extremely unlikely

6 x $6.75M is $40.5M

7 x $7.5M is $52.5M

There is no way the Flames would pay an extra $12M to get one more year. And there is no way Gaudreau wouldn't have taken it
First it's a extra 750k per season, which would be an extra $4.5 over the past 6 seasons. So not an extra $12M.

The rumour was the Gaudreau side wanting the 7 x $7.5M, but the Flames not liking it, so you are correct in that aspect. Though if the Flames knew in advance they would have wasted the extra 750k/yr then they would have happily signed him to the 7 x $7.5 contract.

Old 11-23-2021, 07:24 PM   #71
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
First it's a extra 750k per season, which would be an extra $4.5 over the past 6 seasons. So not an extra $12M.
Oh, so you would have been cool paying an extra $4.5M for nothing? Since you consider that the 7th season doesn't even factor into it.

Enoch is absolutely right, and it's basic arithmetic. The Flames would have paid out an extra $12 million to get one extra year of Gaudreau. That's a silly price.
Old 11-23-2021, 07:27 PM   #72
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The rumour was the Gaudreau side wanting the 7 x $7.5M, but the Flames not liking it, so you are correct in that aspect. Though if the Flames knew in advance they would have wasted the extra 750k/yr then they would have happily signed him to the 7 x $7.5 contract.
No he’s right the extra year costs $12 million in that scenario. Based on circumstances at the time, I doubt that was seriously considered by the Flames nor a serious ask by Gaudreau’s camp.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 07:57 PM   #73
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Oh, so you would have been cool paying an extra $4.5M for nothing? Since you consider that the 7th season doesn't even factor into it.

Enoch is absolutely right, and it's basic arithmetic. The Flames would have paid out an extra $12 million to get one extra year of Gaudreau. That's a silly price.
Since people here are willing to pay Gaudreau $11 - $12 million long term after this season I fail to see how paying him 7 x $7.5 is not better. I prefer to have the cap hit for next season to be at $7.5 instead of $11-$12 million.

I think it pretty obvious in hindsight it would have been better to give him 7 x $7.5/yr. Do you really disagree with that exact statement?

Old 11-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #74
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Since people here are willing to pay Gaudreau $11 - $12 million long term after this season I fail to see how paying him 7 x $7.5 is not better. I prefer to have the cap hit for next season to be at $7.5 instead of $11-$12 million.

I think it pretty obvious in hindsight it would have been better to give him 7 x $7.5/yr. Do you really disagree with that exact statement?
Still no. He won't be getting $12M. Not even close.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:01 PM   #75
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Still no. He won't be getting $12M. Not even close.
Does it make a difference if it's 11 million? Still an obvious yes to my question.

Old 11-23-2021, 08:03 PM   #76
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does it make a difference if it's 11 million? Still an obvious yes to my question.
It won't be $11 either

But how about this: you're right

Feel better?
Old 11-23-2021, 08:05 PM   #77
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It won't be $11 either

But how about this: you're right

Feel better?
Yes, I thought you would be more stubborn.

The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2021, 12:19 AM   #78
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Yes, I really disagree with it.

People here aren't willing to pay Gaudreau one thin dime. Some of them think the Flames' owners should be willing to do it, but it's not their money and not their call. I will be utterly gobsmacked if he or any player gets that kind of cheese on a new contract next summer.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:38 AM   #79
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Extremely unlikely

6 x $6.75M is $40.5M

7 x $7.5M is $52.5M

The speculation/rumour/whateveritwasIdon'tremember was that Gaudreau would have been happy with that latter contract, and the Flames insisted on the former contract to save, what essentially amounts to 750k in AAV savings.

IIRC the rumoured Gaudreau ask was around 8.5 x 8, and many believed that with the Tarasenko deal (7.5 x 8) a year prior, they could have come to a happy medium around 7.75 to 8.0 x 8

If the Flames management was not willing to pay that, then they lost the next two years of Gaudreau on what would have been great value.

As for whether Gaudreau gets a 12M AAV next year? I could see it happening elsewhere, but not here. So we essentially have to restart our rebuild at that point.

I wouldn't mind shooting for Connor Bedard though, it's just a matter of finding out the most effective way to maximize our chances once Gaudreau leaves.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 12:49 AM   #80
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau is 9 to 9.5 mill. Thank me later :-) he has a dynamic to fill seats.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good