Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-2024, 08:09 AM   #61
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
So, who are some potential available young centres we can all make random proposals for? Zegras seems to be one of the only ones.
1st round pick for one of:

Berkly Catton
Cayden Lindstrom
Tij Iginla (C/LW?)
Sacha Boisvert
Michael Hage
Luke Misa
Tanner Howe

Don't shortcut the process.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 08:20 AM   #62
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, who are some potential available young centres we can all make random proposals for? Zegras seems to be one of the only ones.
Offer sheet McTavish or Byfield?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:20 AM   #63
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post

Berkly Catton
Cayden Lindstrom
Tij Iginla (C/LW?)
Sacha Boisvert
Michael Hage
Luke Misa
Tanner Howe

Yes agreed, no need to burn all the assets we acquired on a Zegras.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:27 AM   #64
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Berkly Catton
Cayden Lindstrom
Tij Iginla (C/LW?)
Sacha Boisvert
Michael Hage
Luke Misa
Tanner Howe

Connely and helenius. I actually think helenius will be pretty high on calgary list.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 08:54 AM   #65
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Connely and helenius. I actually think helenius will be pretty high on calgary list.
Hadn't looked at Helenius, seems like he'd be a great choice if he's in range too.

Helenius and Kiviharju for an all-finnish first round?
Old 03-09-2024, 09:18 AM   #66
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hadn't looked at Helenius, seems like he'd be a great choice if he's in range too.

Helenius and Kiviharju for an all-finnish first round?
Would be ok with that. Kivijarju is on the smaller side for a defencemen but high end skill everywhere else. wouldn’t be upset.

Only issue with helenius not sure about his offensive ceiling.
Fan69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:19 AM   #67
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
Would be ok with that. Kivijarju is on the smaller side for a defencemen but high end skill everywhere else. wouldn’t be upset.

Only issue with helenius not sure about his offensive ceiling.
Yeah, my hope for the CGY 1st round pick remains Tij, unless we really collapse and end up higher (seems doubtful)
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 09:22 AM   #68
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, my hope for the CGY 1st round pick remains Tij, unless we really collapse and end up higher (seems doubtful)
Tij is likely going top 10, I’m not sure we’re even going to make that after keeping vezna Markstrom, he’ll single handily win us half a dozen games +
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 09:39 AM   #69
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Offer sheet McTavish or Byfield?
Flames are not currently in a position to make an offer sheet on a good player that would include a first round pick due to the conditional nature involving the Canadians.

Edit: Of course when the season is over, that pick will be known to be available, so Calgary could make an offer sheet.

Last edited by The Cobra; 03-09-2024 at 09:41 AM.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 09:42 AM   #70
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think that one of Norris(24) and Pinto(22), Greig(20) might become available in Ottawa if they stumble out of the gate again.

Dallas also has an interesting situation with Stankoven(20), Johnston(20), and Hintz(26), but I don't see any of them becoming available before 2026.

A guy like Kotkaniemi(22) might become available, based on some talks I had with Carolina fans he's pretty good defensively, but the offense just isn't there. That said, the 4.8M price tag until 2030 might discourage one from taking a chance on a 30P center.

Right now, I could see the Flames go after Duchene, Monahan, or Stephenson as a stopgap center for the next 3–5 seasons. However, I hope they promote one of Sharangovich, Zary, and Pospisil to play center full-time.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 09:58 AM   #71
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Tij is likely going top 10, I’m not sure we’re even going to make that after keeping vezna Markstrom, he’ll single handily win us half a dozen games +
Still not convinced he is. D and Cs always go higher than what fans project.
He's right in that area I would say for sure, but I can see him slipping to the 11-13 range still. I still predict a massive run on Ds in the early part of the 1st which will cause a couple wingers to slip (including Eiserman)
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 10:07 AM   #72
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvitaly View Post
I think that one of Norris(24) and Pinto(22), Greig(20) might become available in Ottawa if they stumble out of the gate again.

Dallas also has an interesting situation with Stankoven(20), Johnston(20), and Hintz(26), but I don't see any of them becoming available before 2026.

A guy like Kotkaniemi(22) might become available, based on some talks I had with Carolina fans he's pretty good defensively, but the offense just isn't there. That said, the 4.8M price tag until 2030 might discourage one from taking a chance on a 30P center.

Right now, I could see the Flames go after Duchene, Monahan, or Stephenson as a stopgap center for the next 3–5 seasons. However, I hope they promote one of Sharangovich, Zary, and Pospisil to play center full-time.
Kotkaniemi is turning 24 in the summer. I really like the player, he plays hard and the "right way" but that contract may be too big of a risk at this point to take on. Not the AAV but the lenght.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:11 AM   #73
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Could we get a 4th from Jersey at the draft if we offered up Dansk? Seems like Dansk is the potential starting goalie they may be looking for at the draft.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 10:15 AM   #74
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
Kotkaniemi is turning 24 in the summer. I really like the player, he plays hard and the "right way" but that contract may be too big of a risk at this point to take on. Not the AAV but the lenght.
If you think over the life of the contract he is at least a 40 point player it is not a bad deal. Over time that 4.8 will take up less of the cap space.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:21 AM   #75
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
If you think over the life of the contract he is at least a 40 point player it is not a bad deal. Over time that 4.8 will take up less of the cap space.

I think it's too much even if he is a 40 point player. It's not terrible but you should be able to find more value with 5 million.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:27 AM   #76
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Honestly think there is only a small gap between 4-11….. the higher the better of course. None of the Dmen seem to be head and shoulders above the other.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:29 AM   #77
Niemo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
I think we have to give Zary a shot at C next season and move Sharks back to the wing. Tell Zary what he needs to improve over the off-season and he might do just that with the C spot as the carrot. I like his drive and attitude.
Niemo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Niemo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 10:33 AM   #78
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Could we get a 4th from Jersey at the draft if we offered up Dansk? Seems like Dansk is the potential starting goalie they may be looking for at the draft.
With Jack Campbell still available? Not a chance
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2024, 10:51 AM   #79
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

A team made a proposal for Markstrom at a certain point in time that made sense for that team. I am sure other players on this team, also not traded and also not on the block, got inquiries over the past month.

However, the Markstrom inquiry got leaked when it shouldn't have. Player didn't get approached, but t caused all sorts of angst because it did get out by a careless leak from the agent or media member on behalf of one of the sides.

Also, the price the Flames were asking didn't change or was there back and forth between Flames and Devils, it was a high price that the Devils didnt want to meet, nor did they asking price seemingly bring any other team any interest in Markstrom.
I am sure other requests for players the Flames didn't and don't want to trade, had high price tags too.

The rumor stayed in the headlines, not because there was going back and forth with that team, or because Markstrom was being shopped, but only because it was never shut down and with the Flames sell off narrative and not much other trade talk, it didn't really wither away, especially for media where speculation=clicks.

However, that doesn't mean the Flames position on Markstrom, to keep him, has changed because one team wanted him and put an offer.

As mentioned, if every Flames player that had an offer of some variety behind the scenes, they never gets out, would get done, we would have an AHL team out there plus Huberdeau.

So, the media drove this saga, from the initial leak, to keeping it alive for clicks, and fans have run with it, half assuming a trade would get done becuase the Flames would relent or ask for less (or Devil's be reckless and relent a month after the initial inquiry/offer) and then, make the false assumption/set the expectation that if a trade doesn't happen now the same trade is available in the summer, and Flames opinion will change in Markstrom, and that is basically false.

Sure, Markstrom may be traded, but it's not because he got an offer in mid February that made the Flames suddenly realize they could and should trade him and because they didn't get it done March 8th, will trade him ASAP the next time they can.

Last edited by browna; 03-09-2024 at 10:55 AM.
browna is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2024, 10:51 AM   #80
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Still not convinced he is. D and Cs always go higher than what fans project.
He's right in that area I would say for sure, but I can see him slipping to the 11-13 range still. I still predict a massive run on Ds in the early part of the 1st which will cause a couple wingers to slip (including Eiserman)
So, you don’t see Tij as a centre?
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good