Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2019, 09:05 PM   #2421
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I despise Wentz but the irony of a Bears fan trashing him is hilarious. Glass houses and all that.
Considering the fact Its Rube who is constantly ####ting on Trubisky I find it hilarious when his QB comes into question the hypocrisy comes out and its everyone else's fault.

Your receivers drop passes? The Bears lead the league in drops, but if I mention that I wonder what gets said....

Every Chicago loss, Rube is one of the peanut gallery... it comes back full circle when you're team is amidst blowing the playoffs on Monday night to a 2 win divisional team

Last edited by DropIt; 12-09-2019 at 09:41 PM.
DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 09:47 PM   #2422
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

This year's NFC East is surely the worst division ever.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:12 AM   #2423
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
Considering the fact Its Rube who is constantly ####ting on Trubisky I find it hilarious when his QB comes into question the hypocrisy comes out and its everyone else's fault.

Your receivers drop passes? The Bears lead the league in drops, but if I mention that I wonder what gets said....

Every Chicago loss, Rube is one of the peanut gallery... it comes back full circle when you're team is amidst blowing the playoffs on Monday night to a 2 win divisional team
I've crapped on Wentz a tonne this season
His pocket presence and accuracy have both been horrendous at times this year, and I've bitched about the fact that he plays hero ball when he should be taking what the defense is giving him. I'm also of the opinion that's he's far down the list of problems that the Eagles have.

Outside of Wilson and Jackson, I don't see very many other QBs who could make hay with the garbage Wentz has surrounding him and the lackluster coaching he's had to put up with.

And for as bad a season as Wentz is having, by any statistical measure, it's been miles better than what Trubisky has put together.

Last edited by rubecube; 12-10-2019 at 01:15 AM.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 06:56 AM   #2424
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
His pocket presence and accuracy have both been horrendous at times this year, and I've bitched about the fact that he plays hero ball when he should be taking what the defense is giving him. I'm also of the opinion that's he's far down the list of problems that the Eagles have.

Outside of Wilson and Jackson, I don't see very many other QBs who could make hay with the garbage Wentz has surrounding him and the lackluster coaching he's had to put up with.

And for as bad a season as Wentz is having, by any statistical measure, it's been miles better than what Trubisky has put together.
I don't want to get into a QB debate (I think Wentz is good but not elite) but there are plenty of teams with poor WR groups. Keelan Doss, Zay Jones, Marcell Ateman could be on milk cartons and nobody would know who they are but those are the WR's starting for the Raiders. At least Wentz has one of the top TE's in the game as there are QB's with much less talent to work with than Wentz.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:00 AM   #2425
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Steelers are 8-5 with a duck at QB and a bunch of receivers you've never heard of. Your arguments are invalid
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 07:19 AM   #2426
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of all the craziness of 2019, Ryan Tannehill being an elite QB is probably the most surprising.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2019, 09:35 AM   #2427
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Seriously, they just need to stop filming crap.

Who the heck watches a "Do Your Job" docu-series on Patriots.com about some random scout anyway, let alone 8 of them? What a waste of time and money. It would be better spent getting rub and tugs in Florida.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:03 AM   #2428
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Of all the craziness of 2019, Ryan Tannehill being an elite QB is probably the most surprising.
It is surprising but maybe it shouldn't be.

He always showed promise, and really he was never truly bad in Miami even though it's a tire fire of an organization.

For his career Tannehill has a record of 48-47 with 138 td, 80 interceptions, 22.5k passing yards, 7.2 yards per attempt, and a 89.1 QB rating, which in retrospect actually seems okay when you adjust for the organization he played for.

It's funny because if you compare him to Andrew Luck (1st overall in the same draft) he's actually not far off outside of TD passes and losses.

Luck is 53-33 with 171 TDs, 83 interceptions, 23.5k passing yards, 7.2 yards per attempt, and a 89.5 QB rating.

Maybe it shouldn't be a huge surprise that in a better organization where he didn't have Joe Philbin or Adam Gates as his head coach, and with an elite RB, that he's been able to string together a good stretch.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 12-10-2019 at 12:31 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:23 AM   #2429
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post

I'm not comparing him to Trubisky, I'm comparing situations. I just find it funny how quick you are to defend your QB after being equally as quick to trash on others in the exact same situation.

Maybe next time Trubisky has a bad half you wont be quite as quick to jump down his throat, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
It's also a bit funny to see how much you #### on MT considering he drug you into the playoffs last year, was a bad kicker away from beating you, and then put you in position to make it again this year.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:25 AM   #2430
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Now you know why the league told that crew to flip the way they were officiating that game in the second half.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 AM   #2431
Iggy_12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Seriously, they just need to stop filming crap.

Who the heck watches a "Do Your Job" docu-series on Patriots.com about some random scout anyway, let alone 8 of them? What a waste of time and money. It would be better spent getting rub and tugs in Florida.
Its getting difficult to support this team anymore. BS after BS
Iggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #2432
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not comparing him to Trubisky, I'm comparing situations. I just find it funny how quick you are to defend your QB after being equally as quick to trash on others in the exact same situation.

Maybe next time Trubisky has a bad half you wont be quite as quick to jump down his throat, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
It's also a bit funny to see how much you #### on MT considering he drug you into the playoffs last year, was a bad kicker away from beating you, and then put you in position to make it again this year.
This seems like an admission Trubisky has helped the Eagles more in his career than the Bears. The reason Trubisky eats more #### is because he's got an elite defense that is pretty much going to be wasted. Josh Allen gets the same treatment. Wentz with that Bears defense is definitely better than 7-6.
Old 12-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #2433
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Okay, but was has Trubisky done to deserve the benefit of the doubt? Wentz at least has an MVP-level season under his belt, and also shown he can put the team on his back and win games. The simple fact is that the Eagles are a worse team if you remove Wentz with a replacement-level QB (Nick Foles notwithstanding). I don't think you could say the same thing about Trubisky.

And when I trash Trubisky, it's mostly actually me trashing the Bears FO. Everyone and their dog knew there were a tonne of questions about Trubisky and there was nothing on tape or in his college stats that indicated he would be a franchise QB, and yet the Bears gave up a bunch of picks to go get him and missed on Watson and Mahomes in the process.

Go back to the Seahawks, Cowboys, and Patriots games a few weeks ago and I was trashing Wentz just as much as anyone. I questioned the decision to hand him a big contract extension before the year and I felt like the Eagles were being massively overrated in the preseason, so I'm not really seeing the hypocrisy here.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 12:00 PM   #2434
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
This seems like an admission Trubisky has helped the Eagles more in his career than the Bears. The reason Trubisky eats more #### is because he's got an elite defense that is pretty much going to be wasted. Josh Allen gets the same treatment. Wentz with that Bears defense is definitely better than 7-6.
I'm not comparing the players. I'm saying it's funny that he is so fast to defend while he is so fast to point fingers. That's all. It's just amusing I guess.

Trubisky has been the starter for 1 1/2 years and has gone 18-8 in that time with roughly a 90 QBR in that time. I know its football and you're expected to perform immediately, but it's clear you've made your kind up about him while most likely watching very little
Old 12-10-2019, 12:03 PM   #2435
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

QBR is literally the worst stat of all-time. The Bears are on national TV a lot, and Trubisky is usually looking like replacement level in most of the games. If you're cool paying him $30+ million after next year, awesome, I'm sure all Packer and Viking fans are cool with that too.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:25 PM   #2436
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
QBR is literally the worst stat of all-time. The Bears are on national TV a lot, and Trubisky is usually looking like replacement level in most of the games. If you're cool paying him $30+ million after next year, awesome, I'm sure all Packer and Viking fans are cool with that too.
So then what? His record? His points scored?

2 years from now is a long time away. 30 million dollars may not be considered to be top QB money at that point and considering Jared Goff makes 33, Trubisky being paid less than him may end up being just fine.
Old 12-10-2019, 12:30 PM   #2437
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean Goff's contract is already viewed as a disaster and you have just as many cap issues as the Rams. If Nagy really is some genius they should have no problem drafting a QB and paying him $20+ million less than Trubisky. I get you have to defend Trubisky to the death, if he busts it's in Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan levels of disaster given how Mahomes and Watson are playing, but the dude is bang average at best.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:02 PM   #2438
DropIt
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I mean Goff's contract is already viewed as a disaster and you have just as many cap issues as the Rams. If Nagy really is some genius they should have no problem drafting a QB and paying him $20+ million less than Trubisky. I get you have to defend Trubisky to the death, if he busts it's in Sam Bowie over Michael Jordan levels of disaster given how Mahomes and Watson are playing, but the dude is bang average at best.
Nagy isnt a genius. He may be lucky enough to draft his own QB, but at this point how? Even if the Bears did have their first round pick this year, they are most likely going to consistently end up at drafting in the back half of the draft and you dont find franchise QB there.
Also if Nagy is a genius why waste your picks? Just make Trubisky work. At this point his value is probably on par with Foles.

I dont have to defend Trubisky. I know he will never be a Mahomes and most likely wont ever be Watson either. That sucks but at the same time if you rewind to that draft it wasnt crazy to take Trubisky where they did.

Point is he isnt nearly as bad as he is being made out to be. I know he is a bottom half QB right now but to write him off at 30 games is ridiculous. There is still far worse Quarterbacks in the league that haven't had division winning, playoff appearances in their first season starting or a 70% winning percentage since starting a season as their teams QB1

Last edited by DropIt; 12-10-2019 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2019, 01:52 PM   #2439
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Even if the Bears did have their first round pick this year, they are most likely going to consistently end up at drafting in the back half of the draft and you dont find franchise QB there.
Also if Nagy is a genius why waste your picks? Just make Trubisky work. At this point his value is probably on par with Foles.
Doesn't need to be a top 10 pick to be your franchise QB.

Brady - 199
Jackson - 32
Garoppolo - 62
Rodgers - 24
Wilson - 75
Brees - 32
Mahomes - 10
Watson - 12
Prescott - 135

Those are the QBs of the 8 division leaders (+Seattle) right now. Only Mahomes is a top 10 pick, and only 3 of 9 are even first round picks.

Here are the current starting QBs that were top 10 picks.

Murray (1)
Ryan (3)
Allen (7)
Trubisky (2)
Mayfield (1)
Rivers (4)
Goff (1)
Darnold (3)
Wentz (2)
Winston (1)
Tannehill (8)
Jones (6)
Mahomes (10)

I know which list of QBs I'm taking and it's the one that doesn't have a single top 5 pick on it.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 02:18 PM   #2440
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing I'm saying about Trubisky is he is a replacement level QB. Do you really want to pay any more than the rookie scale for that? Cause as we know the starting salary for a middling QB is ~$25 million. I'd rather pay for two elite lineman for $21 million and pay a mid-first round QB ~$4 million. And that's the real dilemma with a lot of teams right now. Guys coming into the league are more ready than ever, and unless you have a Mahomes or Watson, it's really hard to splash out $25million+ a year because you are almost certainly getting significantly better value out of a middling rookie on the scale wage.

I truly thought the Rams would let Goff walk and let McVay develop the next guy, but unfortunately for them they decided Goff was actually elite and not a product of the system. Now to be fair their cap issues are deeper than overpaying Goff, but they'd have way more flexibility right now if they had drafted say Minshew and let Goff walk after this year.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 12-10-2019 at 02:20 PM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote