Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #101
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
I look at quality of chances on goals scored.

No weak goals tonight.

Some very weak defensive plays, however.

But blaming TJ for the loss wouldn’t fit the CP narrative.
It doesn't matter at all if it's a weak goal. Saros could have let a few in at the end without them being weak goals. He made saves, and Smith has to do that too. We won't get to where we want when we need to score 4 or more to win each game. The current quality of play by Smith is below average, and if that continues he will most likely put this team in a bad position all by himself.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:07 PM   #102
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
And has been ass in every other game. Whoopty
Mike Smith was "ass" on Wednesday night? I sure didn't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:08 PM   #103
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
Did everyone here forgot smith shut them out just a few games ago?
This misses the point. Smith has great games! Tonight he was average. Sometimes he's bad. It all adds up to an average goalie. Smith will get this team to the playoffs. Watching tonights game, I don't think people are afraid of this team competing with the best in the league. But can an average goalie take them to the next step?
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:09 PM   #104
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
It doesn't matter at all if it's a weak goal. Saros could have let a few in at the end without them being weak goals. He made saves, and Smith has to do that too. We won't get to where we want when we need to score 4 or more to win each game. The current quality of play by Smith is below average, and if that continues he will most likely put this team in a bad position all by himself.
He made more big saves tonight than the Vezina winner last season.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:10 PM   #105
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This is what your post should have said. I agree that Mike Smith looks like he could be the weak link this season, but unless Treliving is able to make a deal for a goalie that 1) does not cost too much to acquire, 2) is able to fit with the Flames cap structure and long-term plans, and 3) is an obvious improvement over Mike Smith, then NO, the Flames should not be making trigger-happy reactionary changes. I doubt very much that there is a realistically attainable goalie who is available right now, and who meets all these criteria.

Nope. I was right the first time. Flames need to find a goaltender. Stat. Mike Smith is nothing more than an average goaltender when he is playing his best. Outside of one season, seven years ago, Mike Smith has been an average to below average goaltender. Period. You don't win games with the goaltending Mike Smith provides you. His 12 year career proved that in spades. The Flames need someone that can not only stop pucks, but make the big save from time-to-time. Goaltenders at the other end of the ice are doing it game-in-game-out. Smith's inability to come remotely close, let alone match that same level of play, is going to make this another tough season. Gice Rittich the reigns and see what he can do. If he can't get it done, then they have to go shopping or check the free agent marketplace.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:11 PM   #106
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Smith had some great saves tonight, I didn't like the last goal seeing it live but I haven't seen a good replay of the shot.

The first 3 were really bad defensive mistakes, don't think Smith can be blamed for any of those.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #107
jonkaupp
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Mike Smith was "ass" on Wednesday night? I sure didn't think so.
Missed a game. 4 of 6 is still ass
jonkaupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:12 PM   #108
Flamesfan2010
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASP#26525 View Post
Hard fought loss.. It was the refs that made this one frustrating, not the team's play.

And Backlund... what horrible luck he has right now!
Thought he was going to bury that late chance he had, but he just can't buy one right now.
Flamesfan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #109
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Didn’t like Brodie’s game today at all, ill-advised pinch by Hanifin on the 4th goal and Neal’s double minor definitely cost us tonight. Another 4+ goal game on Smith tonight. That’s 4 out of his 6 games this season. Just not good enough. We don’t score enough to win all these 5-4 games. I’m still waiting for him to make that big save to keep it at 3 GA instead of 4. For an expensive #1, that’s not too much to ask for.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:15 PM   #110
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
He made more big saves tonight than the Vezina winner last season.
Ok, you're a Smith fan. So where do you rank Smith? Do you think he is an above average goalie? Do you think he is a the goalie that can take the team to the next level?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #111
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know, it just gets really exhausting to be talking year after year about whether we should blame the defence or the goaltending for these bizarre and catastrophic breakdowns. Why is it so much to ask that we have some semblance of reliability on the back end?
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:17 PM   #112
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
Ok, you're a Smith fan. So where do you rank Smith? Do you think he is an above average goalie? Do you think he is a the goalie that can take the team to the next level?
I’m a Flames fan.

Smith was a long ways from being the goat tonight.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #113
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Didn’t like Brodie’s game today at all, ill-advised pinch by Hanifin on the 4th goal and Neal’s double minor definitely cost us tonight. Another 4+ goal game on Smith tonight. That’s 4 out of his 6 games this season. Just not good enough. We don’t score enough to win all these 5-4 games. I’m still waiting for him to make that big save to keep it at 3 GA instead of 4. For an expensive #1, that’s not too much to ask for.
This is the problem. The Flames are below average at keeping the puck out of the net. If Smith is in fact an above average goalie, that puts the defense well below average. If the defense is in fact above average, that puts Smith well below average. So what is it?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:19 PM   #114
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite the odd great game, his game log isn't going to carry you too far.

Defence played a role tonight for sure, but only making the saves you're expected to make isn't the role of an NHL starter. Pretty much any scoring chance has a pretty good shot at ending up on the scoresheet outside of 2 games this season.

That's clearly not good enough, and if the fans predicted it I hope Treliving does too. He better have had a plan in case this happened, as it's been a concern for far too long now.
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #115
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just gotta say though, I believe we're in for a good season with the way this team is playing. If we get average goaltending out if Smith over the course of the season and some good play by Rittich, we should definitely win a lot more than we lose. Team is looking good, and I bet it will pay off handsomely once we get into the grind of the season.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crapshoot For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2018, 10:20 PM   #116
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought the Flames played really well. I thought the Predators played really well too. It almost felt to me lo Ike a playoff game at times. It was a well-played game.

I agree with most other posts in.this thread. Goaltending was the difference (Saros especially.)
Old 10-19-2018, 10:22 PM   #117
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I’m a Flames fan.

Smith was a long ways from being the goat tonight.
Agreed. Unfortunately, I'm not worried about one game. I'm worried about a goalie with one of the worst save percentages in the league and a team among the worst in the league in keeping the puck out of the net. So if it's not Smith, it's the defense. If Smith is the answer, how do we shore up the defense?
Old 10-19-2018, 10:23 PM   #118
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
Missed calls and missed chances were the difference in the game. Clear penalties not called, one of which would have led to a 5-on-3, were inexcusable. And Bennett and Tkachuk managed to miss wide open nets.

On another matter. . . .

I probably won't win back many friends with this, but the amount of griping about and general negging of Cassie Campbell is ridiculous. She may not be Kelly Hrudey, and occasionally gets a bit tongue-tied, but she's competent. Unlike some other commentators who will yammer on on tangents, her comments are generally on point and relevant. The constant string of posts about her making games unwatchable does exponentially more to ruin the game thread than she ever does to "ruin" a broadcast.
I cannot thanks this post enough! People continuous non stop of whining about Cassie Campbell was the reason I do not go into the game threat anymore.

I like Campbell, I think she is better than a lot of those so call commentators.
Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #119
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Smith is a good backup goalie.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2018, 10:24 PM   #120
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
Which ones was Smith supposed to save? Brodie had a rough game and we missed 2 open nets.
Rinaldo the bum