Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Default The Athletic coming to Calgary

https://theathletic.com/86695/2017/0...lad-you-asked/

Quote:
Alex and Adam gave me an overview of their big-picture plans, and their appetite for expansion was impressive. If they could accomplish half of what they hoped, I thought, they have a good shot at success. Since that meeting a lot has changed. I took on a small role as The Athletic's editorial advisor. New city outposts were opened in Toronto (November 2016), Cleveland (March 2017), Detroit (July 2017) and the San Francisco Bay Area (August 2017), with Philadelphia up next (September 2017). Additionally, in short order, there will be bureaus launched in the NHL's six other Canadian cities (Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa, Vancouver, and Winnipeg), plus more hockey coverage across the U.S.
Looks like this new sports news start-up will be expanding to Calgary and all other Canadian NHL cities shortly. They appear to be hiring good talent and producing good content.

Their current subscription model allows for access to all cities with a subscription to one city.

Last edited by sureLoss; 08-23-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Me fail english. That's unpossible.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a moment I was wondering at the weird new relocation plan for Oakland.

It will be great for a news outlet that is not Rogers to start taking this market seriously.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #3
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whose gonna be on the staff?

Haynes? Wilson? Sportak?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:13 AM   #4
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Is it going to be the full cost for cities with only one major sports team?

I'd hate to be paying the same amount as someone from Boston for example.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I subscribed to the Athletic two months ago - the quality of the work is top notch, and I'm reading a lot more about other markets (the Jackets, for example) than I ever have before.

Once you start reading the Athletic, it really shows the lack of quality sports journalism and analysis that we generally get exposed to otherwise.

I'm really excited that they'll be covering Calgary (and the rest of Western Canada). Interested to see who they've got on board to cover the Flames.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #6
East Coast Flame
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I know Mirtle writes there now for the Leafs and he is excellent.

Looks like you can get a yearly subscription for $50. Not a bad deal - depending on who they hire for the Calgary coverage.
East Coast Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:48 AM   #7
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm pretty jazzed to see more different hockey coverage in this market. I love the people that cover the Flames right now, but more variety is always welcome.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 12:03 PM   #8
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have a subscription as well. The features, analysis, and insight are top notch and interesting. It shows that you get what you pay for. It provides value in content, not the widespread generic oversimplified content within current sports analysis on the internet. They are a bit of a gate keeper of sorts, separating the wheat from the chaff. They know who their audience, what they are looking for, and they are responsive to their needs.

How they handle the Oiler Kool-Aid Cohort will be interesting both from the fan and the organization perspective. Both of which do not take kindly to criticism or realistic assessment.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:20 PM   #9
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been a subscriber for a few months now and agree it's excellent and worth the price in general. That said, I have yet to see a Calgary-based writer whose work I would have any interest in paying for - we are really weak in that regard.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

how much is a subscription? do they offer an app to get the content? Is the contect strictly written, or are there podcasts, etc?
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 01:33 PM   #11
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default The Athletic coming to Calgary

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
how much is a subscription? do they offer an app to get the content? Is the contect strictly written, or are there podcasts, etc?

There's an app, and it's fantastic. Brilliantly designed - and yes, some teams do have podcasts (the app will re-direct you to the podcast app or to soundcloud).

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-23-2017 at 03:13 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #12
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
I subscribed to the Athletic two months ago - the quality of the work is top notch, and I'm reading a lot more about other markets (the Jackets, for example) than I ever have before.

Once you start reading the Athletic, it really shows the lack of quality sports journalism and analysis that we generally get exposed to otherwise.

I'm really excited that they'll be covering Calgary (and the rest of Western Canada). Interested to see who they've got on board to cover the Flames.
Same here, I was convinced to subscribe after an article on Hamonic they did in June. Good stuff, and I'm all for any Flames content that doesn't have the Rogers stink on it.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 02:19 PM   #13
Incogneto
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I always just assumed that if/when they come to Calgary, Haynes would be the man. The dude is the best Flames writer we have, and we should all be thankful for him.
Incogneto is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Incogneto For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 05:50 PM   #14
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Selfishly, I hope Haynes doesn't join them. I've grown to enjoy his podcasts and it would suck if they end.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:11 PM   #15
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I would think former Flames beat writers like Scott Cruickshank or Randy Sportak would be in on this.

Haynes, I think, has a pretty secure gig at Canadian Press. Most of his work goes online. Although who knows these days. Game reports can be written by 'bots nowadays.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:51 PM   #16
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

My guess is The Athletic will roll out their Canadian line-up in a couple weeks when camps open.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 06:57 PM   #17
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I know they have hired some excellent football and baseball writers recently. Ken Rosenthal just signed on and he is one of the best in my mind.

Will have to check a subscription out.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:06 PM   #18
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm definitely open to signing up for a subscription, just holding out to see who they hire on.
Old 08-23-2017, 07:14 PM   #19
RyZ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Im guessing its going to be somebody like a Kent Wilson writing for Calgary (hockey). From what I have read so far, analytics is king at The Athletic and I dont think somebody like Haynes, Johnson or Sportak are the kind of writers they are looking for.
RyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RyZ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-23-2017, 08:25 PM   #20
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
Im guessing its going to be somebody like a Kent Wilson writing for Calgary (hockey). From what I have read so far, analytics is king at The Athletic and I dont think somebody like Haynes, Johnson or Sportak are the kind of writers they are looking for.
Well, I was interested until this post. Barf.

We already know what the stats are (or we can get them at will). What I don't want is another article telling me this player is great, or that player sucks, based on those stats.

Monahan's possession numbers were only 45% last night? So what? Tell what he did with it when he had the puck. Tell me something interesting that you saw during the game. Don't tell me Hamilton's corsi was 52% and Smith's save percentage was .912. That tells me nothing of value.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post: