Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-11-2017, 11:00 AM   #481
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
It's tough cause I really want to see janko to make the team and play centre but this is probably the best way for him to get his feet wet in the NHL. Backlund has shown to raise the game of everyone who gets put on his line... especially rookies. Guess it's a great place for janko to learn the NHL game.

It's great to see so many players with the potential to fight for a spot this year. Already just in the rookie tournament and it feels like foo, Janko, andersson, and valiamaki could push for a spot. Haven't even gotten to look at guys like klimchuk, poirier, shinkaruk, etc. yet. Going to be tough if some guys show enough in camp but still don't make the team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have no problem with Janko playing wing for a year. He'll learn a lot on Backlunds wing and it gives Bennett one more year to show what he can do with decent linemates.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:21 AM   #482
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's interesting how many people want to move Janko to the wing, whereas the difficult parts of centring seem to be what he is most naturally talented at. Defensive responsibility and faceoffs/zone control.

Valimaki is not going to make the team out of camp. Neither is Foo. They need to learn the pro game.

Stajan has entered the mentor level of play, even though he is a great teammate.

I think that management really wants Tkachuk Bennett to work.
Janko with 2 vets.
I seem to remember that Lazar can play both sides? Either way, I think that Ferland and Lazar are tried in both of these spots (I currently have them in) searching for chemistry on the top line.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Lazar-Backlund-Frolik
Tkachuk-Bennett-Jagr/Poirier
Versteeg-Jankowski-Brouwer
Stajan

Gio-Dougie
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
Wotherspoon

Smith
Lack

Roll 4 lines and dominate.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #483
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

I just don't see Stajan being in the press box.

I'd prefer a Tkachuk - Bennett - Jankowski 3rd line and maybe they split center duties.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 11:51 AM   #484
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Lazar
Versteeg - Bennett - Frolik
Stajan - Jankowski - Brouwer
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2017, 12:03 PM   #485
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
It's interesting how many people want to move Janko to the wing, whereas the difficult parts of centring seem to be what he is most naturally talented at. Defensive responsibility and faceoffs/zone control.
Jankowski definitely looks like a natural centre to me. He's a heads up playmaking centre. Has the size and ability to be good on draws. If he's ready where do you put him? I think having him on the 4th line might be as unappealing as having him on the wing. I mean lets look closely at the options assuming that Jankowski makes the team and everybody is healthy

-Move Jankowski to the wing. This isn't ideal for the reasons you've mentioned
-Have Jankowski on the 4th line which pushes Stajan to the wing or out of the lineup. This is a bit awkward as well. Having Jankowski there might stunt his offensive confidence and might not be enough ice time to really develop into his full potential.
-Move Bennett to the wing. Not ideal for Bennett's centre development. But frankly Bennett looks like more of a winger than Jankowski does.

There really is no ideal solution. This makes the Jankowski question the most interesting part of training camp. And plays into why everybody keeps asking Treliving and Gulutzan if Bennett has to be a centre.

Quote:
Valimaki is not going to make the team out of camp. Neither is Foo. They need to learn the pro game.
Valimaki I doubt is ready even though I think the world of his potential. Not the year to be experimenting with a relatively inexperienced 18 year old defenseman. He'll have to be heads and shoulders above the rest of the guys to get a look and I don't think he will be.

Foo looks like a lot more NHL ready. And he's actually older than the majority of our prospects competing for a job. From what I've seen of him this prospect tournament he looks close to NHL ready. He'll be in tough cause there's lot of competition but I like his chance at winning a spot better than anyone up front besides Janko and Hathaway. He's quick, protects the puck well, zips around the zone heads up looking to shoot or pass. Personally I think he's closer than Poirier who you have as a possibility.

Quote:
I think that management really wants Tkachuk Bennett to work.
I think those two could form a pretty lethal combo giving us three elite pairs up front (Gaudreau/Monahan, Tkachuk/Bennett, Backlund/Frolik)

Quote:
I seem to remember that Lazar can play both sides? Either way, I think that Ferland and Lazar are tried in both of these spots (I currently have them in) searching for chemistry on the top line.
Lazar is a C/RW from what I know. But Frolik is a LW/RW who shoots left so switching him to LW and having Lazar on RW is fine.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 11:31 PM   #486
hockey.modern
First Line Centre

Exp:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Lazar/Foo? - Bennett - Versteeg
Stajan - Jankowski - Brouwer
Hathaway?

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone

Smith
Lack
Old 09-15-2017, 10:13 PM   #487
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Does brouwer play PK? if so, he could do the job, since he takes plenty of draws too.
4th in SH TOI among our forwards last season. So yeah.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #488
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

13 Gaudreau - 23 Monahan - 79 Ferland
20 Lazar - 11 Backlund - 67 Frolik
19 Tkachuk - 93 Bennett - 68 Jagr/15 Foo
10 Versteeg - 77 Jankowski - 36 Brouwer
18 Stajan

5 Giordano - 27 Hamilton
7 Brodie - 24 Hamonic
61 Kulak - 26 Stone
4 Wotherspoon

41 Smith
31 Lack

Seems most likely to me at this point. I think management will see if Foo works, and if he does, put him in Jags' spot.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #489
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

If training camp lines are any indication it would seem the coaches are hopeful of:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Foo
Lazar-Jankowski-Brouwer
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
AC
Old 09-16-2017, 01:08 PM   #490
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Gaudreau Monahan Ferland
Tkachuk Backlund Frolik
Versteeg Bennett Foo
Lazar Jankowski Brouwer
Stajan Hathaway

Giordano Hamilton
Brodie Hamonic
Stone Kulak
Bartkowski

Smith
Lack
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to savardandjokinen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 01:10 PM   #491
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
If training camp lines are any indication it would seem the coaches are hopeful of:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Foo
Lazar-Jankowski-Brouwer
Yeah, I'd agree.

13th: Stajan
14th: Hathaway/F.Hamilton battle it out.

Gio-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Kulak-Stone
7th: Bartkowski
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 01:22 PM   #492
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

If some of these lines come to be and Stajan is 13th forward, could we be looking at a trade with the Penguins?
UKflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 03:16 PM   #493
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I see Foo as a first in line injury call up.
I also see Wotherspoon in a battle with Bartkowski for the 7th defenceman spot.

Oh yeah I also see Andersson as the first call up when there is an injury to one of our right defencemen.

Last edited by Vulcan; 09-16-2017 at 03:21 PM.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 05:28 PM   #494
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
If some of these lines come to be and Stajan is 13th forward, could we be looking at a trade with the Penguins?
I don't know why we need to let go of Stajan... I just don't think he holds the value on the trade market like some think. We're better off keeping him, we're bound to have injuries occur since we didn't have very many last year. If Monahan or Backlund goes down, and one of Bennett/Jankowski aren't playing very well, we're going to need Stajan playing middle 6 center.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 06:16 PM   #495
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Versteeg - Bennett - Foo
Poirier - Jankowski - Lazar/Brouwer

Giordano - Hamilton
Brodie - Hamonic
Kulak - Stone
Wotherspoon

Smith
Lack
Rittich

Last edited by Love; 09-16-2017 at 06:19 PM.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:35 PM   #496
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Johnny-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Iginla
Lazar-Jankowski-Brouwer
Hamilton
Hathaway

Gio Hamilton
Brodie hamonic
Anderson stone
Bartowski

Smith
Lack
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 04:19 AM   #497
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I don't know why we need to let go of Stajan... I just don't think he holds the value on the trade market like some think. We're better off keeping him, we're bound to have injuries occur since we didn't have very many last year. If Monahan or Backlund goes down, and one of Bennett/Jankowski aren't playing very well, we're going to need Stajan playing middle 6 center.
I agree with everything you said, just wondering if he could be one of the three that the pens are supposed to be looking at.
UKflames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 07:51 AM   #498
TheFlamesVan
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
I agree with everything you said, just wondering if he could be one of the three that the pens are supposed to be looking at.
I have to assume that they are absolutley looking at Stajan.
TheFlamesVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #499
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at the line ups being presented it has become somewhat apparent that there is a cost to paying 5 D that are each good enough to play 20 minutes a game.

The Flames are left with exactly 6 players that deserve to play on their top 3 lines:
Gaudreau, Monahan, Tkachuk, Backlund, Frolik and Bennett and would play on the top 9 of any NHL team.

Gaudreau-Monahan- 4th liner
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
4th liner- Bennett- Versteeg

They also have Versteeg who has shown enough last year after his PTO to stretch his career another year.

They have 2 aging veterans Brouwer and Stajan playing out the string that are most suited to 4th line duty.

They have 2 two prospects Jankowski and Foo with no NHL experience who at ages 23 and 24 are well past the age that most players with the ability to play top 9 minutes have broken into the NHL.

The rest (using Bouma and Chaisson who were not good enough to be anything but 4 line energy guys and injury replacements) are really not expected to be top 9 players.

Ferland - He gets to play with Monahan and Gaudreau? Because he played great in a beating Vancouver in a playoff series 3 years ago. It is not a coincidence that Monahan and Gaudreau have left the elite of the league at around the same time Hudler ran out of gas. Gaudreau and Monahan should hold out until they get at least Versteeg put on their line. But then taking Versteeg away from Bennett leaves Bennett playing on a line with the equivalent of Bouma and Chaisson. Good luck with that.

Lazar was not talented enough in Ottawa to get 4th line minutes a few months ago.
Hathaway, Hamilton ... really working their way up to the Bouma Chaisson level.

Jankowski should get a spot guaranteed on this team as maybe he has top-9 potential

Have him centering the 4th line with Brouwer and Stajan as his line mates. All three of these guys at various times have been the great hopes for the Flames.

Last edited by ricardodw; 09-17-2017 at 09:24 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2017, 09:25 AM   #500
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Ricardo, let me see if I can wrap my head around what you're saying.

You think Monahan and Gaudreau should, wait for it, hold out because they're being forced to play with the clearly unsuitable Michael Ferland, a guy who scored at nearly a .5 P/GP pace with them to close out the year? You think they should hold out over that?

Are you serious?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
too soon?