Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #3321
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

For what it’s worth Scheifele has Josi down as one his top 5 hardest players to play against in the league. Right along side:

McDavid
Price
Karlsson
Crosby

He cites one of the biggest reasons why is because he wears you down for 30 seconds in the defensive zone with hits and cross checks and then sneaks up and unexpectedly becomes the 4th man in the rush.

He also gives Josi credit for Ellis having a breakout year last season while mentioning that Josi is so versatile that he can compliment anybody’s game.
Old 10-19-2017, 02:54 PM   #3322
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
If Josi is such a good defenseman, why did his own coach, Peter Laviolette, line match the Subban-Ekholm pairing against the Toews, Tarasenko, Getzlaf, and Crosby lines in the playoffs?

Josi has quickly gone from the most underrated defenseman in the league to now possibly overrated. He does, however, have the best contract among defensemen. I'm not saying he isn't a great defenseman, but top 5 is a massive stretch.
I would dispute this. PK Subban got alot of the press in regards to his feud with Crosby (the Listerine thing, playing him extra hard, etc) but the Josi-Ellis pairing saw more ice against the Crosby line, at least at home where they had last change. I'm pretty sure it was the same in the other series'.

I don't know if anyone could look up these numbers, but I'll eat crow if I'm wrong.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:03 PM   #3323
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
That's nice.

But the Norris Trophy is awarded by the Professional Hockey Writers' Association, not by anyone ‘hired by the league or a trusted associate’. And it has a long history of being given out to the defenceman who has the greatest name recognition out of those with fancy offensive numbers.
That's nice...

You're telling me the PHWA isn't a trusted association of the NHL? Your stock is dropping bud.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:08 PM   #3324
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I would dispute this. PK Subban got alot of the press in regards to his feud with Crosby (the Listerine thing, playing him extra hard, etc) but the Josi-Ellis pairing saw more ice against the Crosby line, at least at home where they had last change. I'm pretty sure it was the same in the other series'.

I don't know if anyone could look up these numbers, but I'll eat crow if I'm wrong.
You're correct, but logically speaking Ellis is a better matchup against Crosby than he is against Malkin, whereas Ekholm is a better matchup against Malkin than he is against Crosby. I am not sure this proves anything other than the Preds have two strong pairs. We know that objectively Ekholm-Subban is a better pair, and are almost obviously the Preds' top pair. Josi-Ellis got kicked in pretty hard against the Ducks too, whereas Brodie-Stone acually held their own. Not that that means much but I think people overrate Josi overall. Whether it's Josi-Weber or Josi-Ellis there have been some concerning trends in the defensive zone that people seem to overlook. No he isn't a mess in his zone and yes he is a #1 defenseman - but there are at least ten better defensemen.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
Old 10-19-2017, 03:12 PM   #3325
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
You're correct, but logically speaking Ellis is a better matchup against Crosby than he is against Malkin, whereas Ekholm is a better matchup against Malkin than he is against Crosby. I am not sure this proves anything other than the Preds have two strong pairs. We know that objectively Ekholm-Subban is a better pair, and are almost obviously the Preds' top pair. Josi-Ellis got kicked in pretty hard against the Ducks too, whereas Brodie-Stone acually held their own. Not that that means much but I think people overrate Josi overall. Whether it's Josi-Weber or Josi-Ellis there have been some concerning trends in the defensive zone that people seem to overlook. No he isn't a mess in his zone and yes he is a #1 defenseman - but there are at least ten better defensemen.
I would have to disagree that Ekholm-Subban is a better pair than Josi-Ellis, and that Ekholm-Subban is the teams' top pair.
Old 10-19-2017, 03:14 PM   #3326
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
If Josi is such a good defenseman, why did his own coach, Peter Laviolette, line match the Subban-Ekholm pairing against the Toews, Tarasenko, Getzlaf, and Crosby lines in the playoffs?

Josi has quickly gone from the most underrated defenseman in the league to now possibly overrated. He does, however, have the best contract among defensemen. I'm not saying he isn't a great defenseman, but top 5 is a massive stretch.
Because when you play Subban/Ekholm against top players for 20 minutes a game, you can play Roman Josi for 30 minutes against guys who aren't as good as Roman Josi.
Old 10-19-2017, 04:42 PM   #3327
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

TSN Insider trading:
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/insider-...uchene~1237369

some teams believe that Sakic is mulling over some packages he finds at least enticing at this stage for Duchene
going back to the draft there were packages Sakic also found interesting... seems to be an endless cycle
Rangers are an example of team that was initially in it, then out, and then recently back in. But they (Rangers) don't really believe there is anything remotely possible (of happening)

With Jeff Carter out indefintely, the Kings have signed Brooks Laich.
Laich deal was agreed to even before Carter was injured, but the injury accelerates Laich playing straight into NHL instead of spending time in the minors
Some talk that the Kings might be willing to move Muzzin/Martinez for forward help, but sample size too small if their young d-men can fill that void right now

Galcheynuk's name has come up in the Pen's search for a 3rd line center.
There might be a fit there between Montreal and Pittsburgh given how Glacheynuk is in the dog house and Montreal is struggling early on in the season.

Because of Red Wings' current cap situation, Wings can only offer Athanisou a 1 year deal.
Deal will likely get signed in next day or so or Athanisou will play in Europe and his return to the NHL will be unclear

Patrick Roy was quoted as saying he has more interest in the managerial side than the coaching if he were to return to the NHL.
TSN panel kind of joked that Bergevin may need to watch his back.

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-19-2017 at 04:48 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 04:46 PM   #3328
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IgiTang View Post
That's nice...

You're telling me the PHWA isn't a trusted association of the NHL? Your stock is dropping bud.
Would this be the same PHWA that didn't know what position Ovechkin was playing one year? Resulting in the monstrosity of him being named to both All-Star teams on the left and right wing...
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2017, 05:15 PM   #3329
IgiTang
Self-Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Would this be the same PHWA that didn't know what position Ovechkin was playing one year? Resulting in the monstrosity of him being named to both All-Star teams on the left and right wing...
A positional error from editing does not deminish the entire PHWA..

Talk about a reach
Old 10-19-2017, 09:01 PM   #3330
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's nice...

The NHL doesn't hire the PHWA, and the PHWA includes geniuses like Larry Brooks. And what I said is perfectly true: the Norris has a long history of going to the defenceman with the most name recognition out of those with fancy counting stats. How about you address that instead of what you imagine to be my ‘stock’?
Old 10-19-2017, 09:02 PM   #3331
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A positional error from editing does not deminish the entire PHWA..

Talk about a reach
In my business, when someone makes an error that big in the product released to the public, people get fired. It's no reach at all.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:16 AM   #3332
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
And after those guys I would consider Klingberg before Josi though it's a coin-flip that probably goes to Josi only because Klingberg played soft the last time I watched him.
So, you've changed your mind on Klingberg because he "played soft the last time you saw him".

News flash. Klingberg plays soft. That's his game. He's not close to Josi in terms of all around game.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:02 AM   #3333
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know lots of people here are still big fans of Bennett and I'll agree that he does have some potential but he hasn't shown anything and he seems to be regressing. If the right deal came along for Bennett would you take it?

What about packaging Bennett with Brouwer/Stajan + in a deal for Duchene+?
Old 10-20-2017, 08:04 AM   #3334
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I know lots of people here are still big fans of Bennett and I'll agree that he does have some potential but he hasn't shown anything and he seems to be regressing. If the right deal came along for Bennett would you take it?

Don't think Avs want Bennett, and his trade value is very low at the moment.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 AM   #3335
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
I still think you try Bennett on the wing for an extended period first before you even consider trading him.
Old 10-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #3336
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Red Wings have agreed to terms to with Athanasiou on a 1 year deal.

However, before they can officially add him to roster, Red Wings need to create cap space for him.

Will see if that forces them to trade someone. McKenzie suggesting the Sheahan trade to Pittsburgh might be revisited.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #3337
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Red Wings have agreed to terms to with Athanasiou on a 1 year deal.

However, before they can officially add him to roster, Red Wings need to create cap space for him.

Will see if that forces them to trade someone. McKenzie suggesting the Sheahan trade to Pittsburgh might be revisited.
I wonder if Detroit would consider trading Mrazek?. Lack for Mrazek works salary cap wise but with Red Wings off to a decent start they may not want to rely on Lack if/when Jimmy Howard gets injured again.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #3338
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartsengi View Post
I wonder if Detroit would consider trading Mrazek?. Lack for Mrazek works salary cap wise but with Red Wings off to a decent start they may not want to rely on Lack if/when Jimmy Howard gets injured again.
Let me get this straight… You want to trade Lack after he's played 12 minutes for the team?

And here I thought people were jumping the gun on Bennett.
Old 10-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #3339
Svartsengi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Let me get this straight… You want to trade Lack after he's played 12 minutes for the team?

And here I thought people were jumping the gun on Bennett.
I am willing to consider trading Lack because Mrazek has a future beyond this season. Lack will probably go back to Sweden after this year. Detroit is up against the salary cap and has limited options. That Lack has only played 12 minutes has nothing to do with it.

Gillies is still waiver exempt next year and needs to develop consistency and better rebound control before making the jump full time to NHL.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:45 PM   #3340
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rittich is ready for the backup role. Gilles is behind him, in that regard.