Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2021, 06:23 PM   #41
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if permanent DST will be one of the plebiscite options.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 06:24 PM   #42
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

DST makes no sense. At all. Zero. It's been a few years since I simply stopped observing and it's awesome no leap forward fall back partridge in a pear tree bull#### I simply do the most rudimentary math to meet appointments and the like.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 07:19 PM   #43
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
i'll repeat that i think people are overlooking how many more dark mornings we'd have under permanent daylight savings time. Do you want twice as many dark mornings so you can get that extra hour of sunlight between 4:00 and 6:00pm? I sure don't.

yes!!!
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redforever For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 09:19 PM   #44
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

The greatest thing Dubya did in his entire presidency was extending DST longer. He deserves a statue for that. Most of us go to work in the dark and go home in the dark in the winter. I’d much rather go home when there was still some light.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FurnaceFace For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 09:23 PM   #45
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Keep it as is. Either alternative is far worse.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:24 PM   #46
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
DST makes no sense. At all. Zero. It's been a few years since I simply stopped observing and it's awesome no leap forward fall back partridge in a pear tree bull#### I simply do the most rudimentary math to meet appointments and the like.
Do you adjust your work hours so you keep the same morning routine? This sounds like the best idea ever. You just choose your time zone.

Do you have kids? I see that as the biggest bottleneck to your scheme.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #47
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkajz44 View Post
I personally like DST and think the problems with the time change are a bit overblown, but I'm fine with taking it away. However, I really don't think permanent DST is a good idea - the sun rising that late is just not good for your body. The time zones exist as they do for a good reason.

Let's look at the differences between standard time and daylight time for the morning sunrise. I'm picking 8am as a cutoff since that is around the start of the workday and school day (where most people are at least headed to one of those at this time). Here is the time span where the sun would rise after 8:00am

Normal time: Nov 19 - Feb 8 = 81 days
Permanent DST: Oct 15 - Mar 10 = 146 days

I don't think most people realize how little light we'd get in the mornings for such a long stretch of time under permanent DST. You are looking at nearly twice as many days of getting up and starting your day in the dark under permanent DST vs normal time.
Which is why it should stay as it is.
Old 07-21-2021, 09:27 PM   #48
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
The greatest thing Dubya did in his entire presidency was extending DST longer. He deserves a statue for that. Most of us go to work in the dark and go home in the dark in the winter. I’d much rather go home when there was still some light.
I think people are thing of the worst days rather than the marginal days. December is going to suck. It’s the months around the Solstices that you need to evaluate sunsets and sunrises. As I have gotten older I’m on team sunrise. I used to be on team sunset.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2021, 09:32 PM   #49
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Keep it as is. Either alternative is far worse.
Yes, the current system, despite the pain of changing clocks (which I’ve never ever really found to be a pain, and yes, I’ve raised two kids through time changes), is definitely the best option.

Permanent daylight time is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than permanent standard time. People that want to substitute the wonderful sunlight between 9-10 pm in June for sunlight between 4-5 am… Shakes head.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:54 AM   #50
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Permanent DST would mean a 1 hour difference from November to March and a 2 hour difference the rest of the year [to Ontario]
If I'm thinking this through correctly (and I might not be, I always suck at this time zone stuff) then we would be 2 hours ahead of BC for 6 months? If so that would suck hard for me. I work until 6 currently to cater to the BC office hours. If we had permanent DST, I'd be working until 7? Uh, no thanks.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 11:11 AM   #51
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
If I'm thinking this through correctly (and I might not be, I always suck at this time zone stuff) then we would be 2 hours ahead of BC for 6 months? If so that would suck hard for me. I work until 6 currently to cater to the BC office hours. If we had permanent DST, I'd be working until 7? Uh, no thanks.
I'm not sure it would be an issue. BC has already planned to move to DST when their neighbours do. The major hangup is the US(once Alberta decides) .
Quote:
To date, Washington state and Oregon have approved legislation committing to a year-round Pacific time, while a majority of voters in California have cast ballots supporting the move. Turning those state initiatives into law, however, requires the ascent of the U.S. Congress – something Horgan said is not a prioirty right now in U.S. federal politics.
https://vancouverisland.ctvnews.ca/b...ange-1.4830957

It's possible with a new Federal government in the US, it becomes a priority.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 08:11 AM   #52
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm in favor of keeping things the way they are. Time change has never been an issue for me or my kids and I prefer the adjustment to keep sunrise/sunset at reasonable times. If we have to change I'd want to keep permanent DST. Shorter evenings in the summer is a show stopper for me, I don't give a rat's a$$ about darker morning in the winter. Growing up in northern Alberta it was that way anyhow and not a big deal.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:52 PM   #53
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is the question that will be on all municipal ballots in Alberta in October:

“Do you want Alberta to adopt year-round Daylight Saving Time, which is summer hours, eliminating the need to change our clocks twice a year?”

This will mean that most of the road games for the Flames will have puck drop times after 9pm local throughout the winter. Vancouver, Seattle, San Jose, LA, Anaheim, Vegas, and Arizona will all be two hours behind Calgary for almost the entire regular season.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 10:04 PM   #54
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

And for those with children who whine about the clock change, keep in mind that if we have permanent summer hours the sun rise in winter will be after 9. Your children will be walking to school in the dark during the winter.

We’ve managed to raise two kids (both with ADHD, who hate schedule changes) on twice a year time changes without a problem, switching an hour back and forth to get the best of both worlds at our latitude is not nearly the trauma some people make it out to be.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2021, 10:12 PM   #55
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
And for those with children who whine about the clock change, keep in mind that if we have permanent summer hours the sun rise in winter will be after 9. Your children will be walking to school in the dark during the winter.

We’ve managed to raise two kids (both with ADHD, who hate schedule changes) on twice a year time changes without a problem, switching an hour back and forth to get the best of both worlds at our latitude is not nearly the trauma some people make it out to be.
I grew up in northern Alberta where that was the norm every winter and it makes about 0 difference. The time change is a completely unnecessary PITA with no benefit to me, I'd much rather have an extra hour after work with sunshine than get to work in the sun for an hour. Easy choice.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PaperBagger'14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2021, 05:28 AM   #56
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not having to go through the time change itself seems nice, until I think about some of the details.

I'm happy with the system we have now, it's a decent compromise. It sucks for 2 hours a year, meh
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2021, 05:50 AM   #57
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

[nvm

Last edited by Rutuu; 08-11-2021 at 05:53 AM.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 11:14 AM   #58
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
On the other end, the sun sets an hour earlier under Alberta's current system. I am still caught off guard when in Alberta during the winter and it's getting dark at 4pm.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 02:10 PM   #59
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I grew up in northern Alberta where that was the norm every winter and it makes about 0 difference. The time change is a completely unnecessary PITA with no benefit to me, I'd much rather have an extra hour after work with sunshine than get to work in the sun for an hour. Easy choice.
Sunrise will be well after 10am in Northern Alberta if the proposed change passes. As someone who also grew up in the Peace region that sucks, I guess I disagree with PaperBagger on it making zero difference. And you're not going to have any appreciable daylight after work in the winter anyhow. Sunset goes from 4:30 to 5:30 and most people are not home from work yet anyhow.

Put me down as one of those people who actually look forward to the time changes twice per year. I too have raised kids (and was once a kid) and it never made any difference to us. Kids changed the body clocks almost immediately.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #60
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Just a reminder that the science says that the morning sun is better for your health and afternoon sun is useless.

Since health and wellness, accidents, sleep patterns etc are always brought up when advocating for getting rid of changing time, I'd think people would put this as the #1 priority.

Standard time is the proven best option.
Exactly this. But of course, permanent standard time isn't an option. *facepalm*
I like late summer evenings as much as the next guy, but it's sure going to suck getting up and working when the sun doesn't rise until 9-10AM in the middle of winter.

From a business perspective, yes it sucks for the Flames and professional sports, they'll have to figure out new TV schedules. What about ski hills that start the chairs running when the sun comes out? Lake Louise/Sunshine won't be able to start spinning lifts until 9:30 when the sun rises.

Quote:
“The problem with these plans is that the evidence suggests a move to permanent standard time would be better for individual and societal health,” asserts Antle, who is also a member of the Hotchkiss Brain Institute at the Cumming School of Medicine and an adjunct professor with the Department of Physiology and Pharmacology.

Antle points out the health risks at play with a move to permanent DST. Evidence shows that later sunrises/sunsets can contribute to increased rates of cancer, obesity, diabetes and heart attacks. Further, rates of seasonal depression increase as daylight exposure decreases. Morning light has proven to be most effective in treating seasonal depression.

“If we move to permanent DST, in December, our sunrise in Calgary will happen after 9:30 in the morning,” says Antle. “In Edmonton it will be closer to 10. In Grand Prairie, almost 10:30. That’s not good for anybody. We all need as much morning light as possible.”
https://arts.ucalgary.ca/news/circad...ht-saving-time

Last edited by Torture; 08-11-2021 at 02:20 PM.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post: